<> 1/48 Arado Ar196A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. The attachment points at the floats have been smoothed out and rescribed as good as they will get. Access, especially to the inner surfaces is extremely limited so the imperfections that still exist will need to be left as is.

17070301.jpg
17070302.jpg

The large square holes that remain are for the additional braces that run from the floats up to the middle of the wings. These were detachable so that the wings could be folded. I was hoping that I could use these additional braces to help align the floats which, as they currently sit, are very slightly off center. Unfortunately, once again the fit of these braces was not great and using them to pull floats into alignment would have made the brace fit even worse. As it was, I could barley get one end to fit into its hole so I decided to live with the slight misalignment.

The next step was to ad the wire bracing and I decided to start with the horizontal wires between the floats. To do this, I drilled some holes in the gusset plates that attach the lower braces on all 4 corners:

17070303.jpg

Next I threaded a length of 6 lb nylon fishing line loosely through the holes and secured one end with some thin CA.

17070304.jpg

The opposite end was then pulled tight and another dab of CA held the line in position. The excess was then cut off and the operation was repeated on the other side. The wire bracing was finished off by adding a small square but of styrene card at the intersection point.

17070305.jpg

That finishes off the easier one. The next wires run parallel to the floats so access and the ability to pull the lines tight will be a challenge.

Thanks guys.

Snatched an hour today and got the rest of the rigging done. Went smoothly:

17070501.jpg
17070502.jpg

That's it for a couple of weeks guys as I'm off tomorrow to meet Terry and Karl for the Flying Legends airshow at Duxford. See you toward the end of the month and thanks for following and for the nice comments.

If the fit of the struts is that bad on this kit I wonder how bad it is on the HiPM kit I have in the stash! You've done a wonderful job dealing with it Andy.

Back at it spending some small snippets of time as summer is too short here to spend hours in my basement.

Exhausts are hollowed out though the kit makes some attempt at it. The one on the left has been drilled out and thinned.

17073101.jpg

The engine and cowl have been glued into place and the flaps, rudder, and elevator have been secured as well.

17073102.jpg

Once again having to deal with extremely poor detailing of this kit. The outer braces "fit" into the square holes as shown below.

17073103.jpg

The problem is, there is supposed to be a smooth fairing there and a locking mechanism within a sock that slid up the strut. Another dropped ball.....

I solved this issue by filling the holes and sculpting a fairing using Tamiya's Light Curing Putty. This stuff is ideal for something like this as the putty comes out of the tube in the consistency of toothpaste and can be shaped with a toothpick. It's a bit self levelling so it creates a smooth transition with minimal coaxing. Working quickly under muted indoor lighting, the model is taken outside as soon as the sculpting is complete and placed in direct sunlight. The putty hardens within 5 minutes and can be filed/sanded to shape at that point.

17073104.jpg

After I smooth these areas out and re-prime them, I'll post another update.

Very nicely done! I have some of that putty but would not have thought to use it like that so lesson learned! I would have used Milliput but I like the results you obtained so I will have to give that a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back