1/48 B-17 G

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bill C

Recruit
Feb 5, 2017
Hello, just joined this forum, , not sure if it's active, but hello to everyone,kinda getting back into modeling, learning things I've never known, tricks of the trade, like making antenna wires from heating and stretching sprue, making small windows from white glue...things not to do, like trying to use thinner to clean the glue residue from the nose window, it cracked in several places, gonna have to get another. Here's a few pics of a couple I've done. The Fortress isn't complete, still have a few pieces to put on...

Attachments

• IMG_5618.JPG
    IMG_5618.JPG
    815.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5621.JPG
    IMG_5621.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5621.JPG
    IMG_5621.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what the windows turned like with the testors window maker, not as easy as they say, at least doing them for the first time. Too much residue build up around the edges. But you can't try to wipe them off, the windows pop if they're touched...any recommendations??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 173
Welcome to the forum Bill. Might be too late for this but if that's the Monogram 1/48 kit, have you tried getting in touch with them. Many kit makers have spares and if so, you can get the parts for a small price or for free.

Welcome to the forum Bill. Might be too late for this but if that's the Monogram 1/48 kit, have you tried getting in touch with them. Many kit makers have spares and if so, you can get the parts for a small price or for free.

I haven't tried to contact them yet, but that is the plan, may end up trying to make the one I have look like battle damage, if that is possible. The cracks all go one direction, so a bullet hole and a spider web effect is out. It's the revell 1:48 kit. I have my eye on the hk 1:32 kit, but they're $300 plus on some sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site. :)

A nice looking B-17. Well done. :thumbright:

As far as the removing of the TWM residue around the windows is concerned.. I would try to use the Q-tips soaked softly ( almost dry ) with warm water and gently wipe out the glue excesses. I suggest washing out Q-tips or replacing with clean ones very often while removing the TWM. The work should be done slowly , I would say , step by step in order to not damage these window glass...

Last edited:
Welcome to the mad house.
Wojtek has about covered the window problem.
These windows are, from memory, fitted from the inside, so it's possible to mask the outside of the window, then fit it in place, add a small drop of liquid cement and let it run around the recess of the 'frame', and allow to set.
Then, apply the Testor's stuff around the edges of the outside, using a sharpened cocktail stick, wiping off any excess with a wet finger tip or damp 'Q-Tip. This will seal the rim of the window, and reinforce the joint. Further applications can be made once the 'glue' has set, filling the surrounding gap and making the window flush. This area can be painted after it's set, giving a flush, 'fitted' look to the window.
I haven't seen or used the Testor's product, but I'm guessing it's similar to Humbrol Clear Fix. I use the latter, and also plain PVA (white glue), which is basically what the 'window kits' are made of.
Regarding the damaged part, Revell have a service on their web site for ordering parts, free of charge. You'll need the kit number and name, and the part number and description of the problem - it wasn't damaged by cleaning with thinners, it was broken or deformed on the sprue !!

Welcome Bill to the family. As you can see (and will see) You will have unconditional support from many forum friends.
I like your flying fortress and you will have the best option to solve those windows with so many good options. I'll be watching to see your progress.
Greetings from Mexico. :thumbup:
Luis Carlos
SANCER

Great job on a tough (to me) kit! And welcome to the forum! Lots of great folks on here that are willing to go far and above to help so don't be shy!

As far as Monogram and Revell, there is a web page on Revell's site where you can submit a request for replacement parts. I have done this several times and so far no charge. Of course twice they sent me the wrong part but I followed up each time and eventually got the right one! On average it took 2 weeks from the request to actually receive the part in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back