1/48 B-26C - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
B26.28.jpg

Username: Rochie
First name: Karl
Category: intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Monogram
Model Type: B-26 C Marauder
Aftermarket addons: none

Thought i'd be a bit different with this one.
B-26 C " Barracuda" from the 495th Bomber Sqn

Last edited:
I agree, great choice Karl !
Not sure about the full AEAF stripes - looks like they might have been removed from the upper wing surfaces, judging by the lighter, broken areas visible above the wing leading edge.. That said, the profile shows the upper fuselage stripes painted over, rather than removed, so those light patches might just be wear and tear.
The photo looks like it was taken on an advanced landing ground in France, so depending on the period, it could still have full stripes - upper surfaces were removed or painted over by around late July / early August, although some remained for longer, so from June 5th up to that point,it would have had the full stripes.

Note that the model will need a lot of weight to stop it's Rs dragging.
On mine, I filled the forward edge of the bomb bay, and part of the radio room, with lead held in place with 'Plasticine', and also put weight in the engine cowls, behind the engines. I could only weight part of the radio room, out of sight, as I'd added some detail, and opened the door in the bulkhead, so if you leave the door closed, you could fill his area.

For the bare metal finish, I've got a prezzy for you - you can have my small compressor, and an airbrush (which should work), along with a braided hose. A bit of practice, and it should be straightforward to spray a single color, rather than risk brush marks from hand-painting.
I'll check-out the 'brush for you, as it might have a knackered seal. If it has, you can pick up a new 'brush for around £14 on e-bay, which should last at least a year - much longer if using acrylics.
Those AK Interactive metallic colours look good (going to give them a try myself), and they can be sprayed over a normal primer coat, so it won't be as unforgiving as some metallics, when a perfect surface is a must. The primer will help conceal any imperfections in joints and seams.

I agree, great choice Karl !
Not sure about the full AEAF stripes - looks like they might have been removed from the upper wing surfaces, judging by the lighter, broken areas visible above the wing leading edge.. That said, the profile shows the upper fuselage stripes painted over, rather than removed, so those light patches might just be wear and tear.
The photo looks like it was taken on an advanced landing ground in France, so depending on the period, it could still have full stripes - upper surfaces were removed or painted over by around late July / early August, although some remained for longer, so from June 5th up to that point,it would have had the full stripes.

Note that the model will need a lot of weight to stop it's Rs dragging.
On mine, I filled the forward edge of the bomb bay, and part of the radio room, with lead held in place with 'Plasticine', and also put weight in the engine cowls, behind the engines. I could only weight part of the radio room, out of sight, as I'd added some detail, and opened the door in the bulkhead, so if you leave the door closed, you could fill his area.

For the bare metal finish, I've got a prezzy for you - you can have my small compressor, and an airbrush (which should work), along with a braided hose. A bit of practice, and it should be straightforward to spray a single color, rather than risk brush marks from hand-painting.
I'll check-out the 'brush for you, as it might have a knackered seal. If it has, you can pick up a new 'brush for around £14 on e-bay, which should last at least a year - much longer if using acrylics.
Those AK Interactive metallic colours look good (going to give them a try myself), and they can be sprayed over a normal primer coat, so it won't be as unforgiving as some metallics, when a perfect surface is a must. The primer will help conceal any imperfections in joints and seams.
Thanks Wayne.

Cheers for the input Terry.
I have seen this subject done with all the white stripes on the upper and lower surfaces repainted olive drab, but i cant think why would they do that ?

The picture looks to me like it has the lower wing stripes in place still and so must of had the full compliment of D-Day stripes at some point ?
This picture was indeed taken at a forward base in France as Barracuda was damaged and made an emergency landing after a mission.

The airbrush set up sounds interesting, have you been spending again ?

I would say the D-day strips were applied fully. If you look at the leading edge of the wing you can notice that the B&W bands are applied farther than the bottom line of the wing leading edge.

barracuda-jpeg.336761a.jpg

I would say the D-day strips were applied fully. If you look at the leading edge of the wing you can notice that the B&W bands are applied farther than the bottom line of the wing leading edge.

View attachment 336764
Thank you Sir, i do think you are correct.
I have seen profiles with full stripes, OD and black stripes and as in the profile i posted, with just the fuselage stripes !

Doing full D-Day stripes will be the easiest way of breaking up all that aluminium !

It looks like the upper wing stripes might still be in place, but with leading - edge wear and tear, as mentioned.
From the evening or afternoon of June 4th, all aircraft operating from the UK had the full stripes applied, ready for 'D-Day' on June 5th.
Of course, the invasion was delayed one day, due to weather. and went ahead, as we know, on June 6th.
By late July, with allied aircraft now operating from France, the upper-surface stripes were ordered to be removed, to aid in concealment on the ground. Where possible, these were 'washed off', using petrol where washable, distemper-type paint had been used, but some bare metal aircraft had used 'normal' paint, and it was often quicker to paint over the stripes, when Olive Drab or Dark Green paint was used.
On bare metal finishes, the black stripes only were sometimes painted out (the white blending with the NMF), or all stripes covered with OD or DG., and on camouflage aircraft, in general, all stripes, if not removed, were over-painted in one of the two colours mentioned.
Aircraft with NMF then permanently based on the Continent had the upper-surfaces finished in OD or DK, and most B-26 units had this done, by around August, although there were of course exceptions, due to time available, and various moves from base to base.
The under-side stripes remained, for continued ground to air recognition for trigger-happy gunners, until much later in the year, but by late winter, and in some cases as late as January 1945, they had been removed.
Although the upper-wing stripes look as though they might still be in place in the photo, by this period, they would probably have been removed. However, from June 4th all stripes would be present, so you can safely include them on the model, as you say, to break up all that silver !

As for the compressor, I bought a new one, with tank and adjustable pressure, about 18 months ago, but kept the older one 'just in case'.
The old one still works fine, and when I get a chance to strip-down and check the spare airbrush, that should be OK too.
Last time I used it was to spray the acrylic clear coat on the 1/32nd Spitfire, but when I checked it over a week or so ago, it was 'bubbling' and not spraying, so I think there's probably hardened residue of the varnish in the jet and nozzle, which should clean out OK.
If it doesn't work, then as mentioned, you can get a cheap 'brush on e-bay (where this one came from) which will work fine, and last at the very least, a year, if cleaned after every use. On average, they last around 18 months to 2 years when used with enamels, before the seals start to go, so they'll last a lot longer if acrylics are mainly used.
It's as easy to buy a new one, rather than get a kit of seals etc, and in the long run, even doing this, is still cheaper than buying one of the much more expensive 'branded' types, and they work just as well.
I'll get it ready for when you come over for my Birthday 'do' - if you're still able to come.

It looks like the upper wing stripes might still be in place, but with leading - edge wear and tear, as mentioned.
From the evening or afternoon of June 4th, all aircraft operating from the UK had the full stripes applied, ready for 'D-Day' on June 5th.
Of course, the invasion was delayed one day, due to weather. and went ahead, as we know, on June 6th.
By late July, with allied aircraft now operating from France, the upper-surface stripes were ordered to be removed, to aid in concealment on the ground. Where possible, these were 'washed off', using petrol where washable, distemper-type paint had been used, but some bare metal aircraft had used 'normal' paint, and it was often quicker to paint over the stripes, when Olive Drab or Dark Green paint was used.
On bare metal finishes, the black stripes only were sometimes painted out (the white blending with the NMF), or all stripes covered with OD or DG., and on camouflage aircraft, in general, all stripes, if not removed, were over-painted in one of the two colours mentioned.
Aircraft with NMF then permanently based on the Continent had the upper-surfaces finished in OD or DK, and most B-26 units had this done, by around August, although there were of course exceptions, due to time available, and various moves from base to base.
The under-side stripes remained, for continued ground to air recognition for trigger-happy gunners, until much later in the year, but by late winter, and in some cases as late as January 1945, they had been removed.
Although the upper-wing stripes look as though they might still be in place in the photo, by this period, they would probably have been removed. However, from June 4th all stripes would be present, so you can safely include them on the model, as you say, to break up all that silver !

As for the compressor, I bought a new one, with tank and adjustable pressure, about 18 months ago, but kept the older one 'just in case'.
The old one still works fine, and when I get a chance to strip-down and check the spare airbrush, that should be OK too.
Last time I used it was to spray the acrylic clear coat on the 1/32nd Spitfire, but when I checked it over a week or so ago, it was 'bubbling' and not spraying, so I think there's probably hardened residue of the varnish in the jet and nozzle, which should clean out OK.
If it doesn't work, then as mentioned, you can get a cheap 'brush on e-bay (where this one came from) which will work fine, and last at the very least, a year, if cleaned after every use. On average, they last around 18 months to 2 years when used with enamels, before the seals start to go, so they'll last a lot longer if acrylics are mainly used.
It's as easy to buy a new one, rather than get a kit of seals etc, and in the long run, even doing this, is still cheaper than buying one of the much more expensive 'branded' types, and they work just as well.
I'll get it ready for when you come over for my Birthday 'do' - if you're still able to come.
Many thanks Dogsbody !

We have not a lot on at work for your party so its looking good for now !

Great stuff Red Two - hope you can get here for the 'do' (if you don't do the 'Swedish chef', I can loan you a flying helmet, goggles, scarf, jacket etc, and you can be 'Biggles' !!).

You've got a choice there, looking at those two pics. The colour pic appears to show OD upper-surfaces over NMF, so you could do either that, or overall NMF with full stripes.
I should have a profile or two, with one being a 'three-view', showing NMF with stripes - remind me when tou come over.
Given we have time when you come over, you can have a go with the airbrush and compressor, spraying on a 'scrap' model I keep for practicing on - an overall, single colour is fairly simple to spray, and is a good introduction to using an airbrush, rather than a two-tone or more complicated colour scheme.

Yep, that, and the last pic in post #14, is how it would have looked from the afternoon/evening of June 4th up until at least late July/early August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back