1/48 Bristol F.2b / Davidson RFC – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah man....... I'm attaching the bottom wing, 4 little posts, and the tops of the front struts. Glue in tops of 2, wait to dry...... glue in the next two, wait to dry. glue in the struts, wait to dry. And that's just one end of each. Bl00dy h3ll. And it's like working with corn silk hanging everywhere.

Yes, I am up to the ceiling.

Invisible thread....... silver in color.

Just got the bottom wing attached this a.m. What a test of the nerve endings.

I'll see about attaching the top wing in a bit. I'm leaving the horiz stabs off till I get all the up front wires strung. The attachments for them is pretty wishy washy and I don't want to have to repair them buggers. There are 10 wires attached at the rear tail feathers!

The toughest ones will be the criss cross at the landing gear, they are just so short in length, not much to work with. I'll have to do them first just to get them over with.

Invisible thread....... silver in color.

Just got the bottom wing attached this a.m. What a test of the nerve endings.

I'll see about attaching the top wing in a bit. I'm leaving the horiz stabs off till I get all the up front wires strung. The attachments for them is pretty wishy washy and I don't want to have to repair them buggers. There are 10 wires attached at the rear tail feathers!

The toughest ones will be the criss cross at the landing gear, they are just so short in length, not much to work with. I'll have to do them first just to get them over with.

A day in the life of a 'Rigger'……………………………………………..
unhappy-060.GIF

Last edited:
Amen bruddah!

As I said, I was gonna do the wires at the gear, so I has! Pulled out one of the loopy thingies doin it. You gotta make sure you have enough super glue at the hole to hold them in. Got it replaced and wyred. But I have to find a way to keep the tension on the thread so it don't go limpy like my...... sorry I digress.

Next is attaching the top wing tonight. Have to work tomorrow so Sat I will start on them wyres. I think it's gonna be too wet for Sat morning goff.

Attachments

• GB16 F2b Dvdsn 21.jpg
    GB16 F2b Dvdsn 21.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 59
Removing the chaff from the central point of attraction Bill, those two undercart wires look good.

Just as a side, in the RAF of old, i.e. WWI and between the wars, a Rigger was a trade which eventually when aircraft became more technical and rigging wires were a thing of the past, the trade of Airframe Fitter became the prime aircraft flight line mechanic. Today the Airframe Fitter is affectionately referred to, as the Rigger.

Inn-terr-esting. As Annie has taught her kids to say as they rub their chins......
Then the parents see and hear Annie do it and they slap their foreheads and the penny drops as to where their kids got it!!!!!!

I gotta go back and look at your thread to see how you managed the top wing attaching!!! Cuz I am buggerd over it.

***Ah geez, just looked back, seems you didn't put in any of the wyres till you attached the wings!!!! is I right?

Last edited:
One big cat's cradle of confusion there Bill, but it'll be well worth the effort in the end.
Seeing you, Vic and Paul at it, makes we think I should get back and finish the SE5 - but I'll have to wait for Spring (if it arrives!), when my hands should work better - I hope!

Bill.... if you'd like, I can send you a 1/12 balsa/tissue "Tiger Moth" to practice on. It's an old Comet Model Co. kit and they went out of business about 1987.

Charles

Sorry Bill, should have got back to you soooooooner but have been jetting along to finish the Meteor.

You is correct my lad, join the top wing first, get it in the correct position, aligned correctly and make sure it is well secured. Then you can start the rigging.

As I mentioned in my thread, as long as you have plenty of wire to play with, attach your loopy thing (buckle) and get it set in its hole with glue. Again I cheated and use Zap Kickset to speed the setting up. When set, gently pull the loose end of the thread through the loop and the shim, shifting the shim up the connected wire as you go. When you have no more loose thread to pull through, tuck it in as close as you can to the attached part of the thread and pull the shim into place , but again gently while keeping tension on the thread. A dab of glue and when set, snip of the surplus thread.

Hope this helps.

I have another F2b kit to trade, Eduard.................

I'll settle for a small bottle of Meyers or Bundaberg. Just depends on what side of the planet it goes to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back