1/48 CF-18 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
First name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: F/A-18A (CF-18A)
Aftermarket addons: Eduard Resin/PE AIM-7s/9s, Leading Edge Decals/Mask, Eduard Mask

$_35.jpg

Not the exact box I'm using, but I had that boxing laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need something to kickstart myself again, as I've grown very tired of messing around with piddly PE with the Phantoms, so I've decided to do a Desert Storm CF-18, with the old symmetrical markings (one roundel on top of each wing, CAF and the number on the bottom, old CANADA text). I do not know which specific aircraft I'm doing, though 188741 did help kill a boat, so I'm thinking that, 758 or 782. That comes pretty late though, so I'll worry about it then. Finding photographs has proven difficult, and this is the balance of what I've been able to dig up.

130118-chasseurs-cf18-doha-1991.jpg

cf18dq3.jpg

d11.jpg

formation.jpg

mi-cf18-iraq-300-cp750663.jpg

post-6533-1236029246.jpg

robertson-02.jpg

I was able to find a build of one that was made by a pilot involved, however the photos of the build are now gone. He does mention one of the loadouts though, so I can be accurate there. I'm going to go with the air defence loadout, so I'll likely leave any bomb markings off of the aircraft. I'm not sure what the Cyrillic writing on 780 is?

1:32 CF-18 (Academy) - Works in Progress - LSP Forums

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Looks like I may not be able to do the loadout I wanted as the Hornet kits don't come with anything that allows you to mount two AIM-9s on one pylon. I have a Strike Eagle that does, but I'm not sure how similar the parts are. Oh well, I can just use a basic loadout.

Cory,

Nice choice. I have the academy 1/32 F/A-18 that I am going to build into a CF-18 from operation Mobile, task force Libeccio. You can also search by CF-188 which might turn up some additional pics.

What load out are you going for? Is this the one with 4 AIM 7's and 4 AIM 9's? Once things got under way in Desert storm I read that the CF-18 guys switched mostly to MK82's for bombing since the Iraqi Airforce was obliterated very quickly hence really no need for a heavy air to air loadout.

Here's a link that has some good CF-18 pics and references.

Hazersflightline

Also, tips on building a CF-18 by Steve Bamford.

Building the CF-188 by Steve Bamford

Looking forward to this one.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Dave, those are great sites! I've also got a 1/32 Academy Hornet that I'm doing the exact same thing to, number 739 which had my name painted on it at one point.

As for the loadout, I think it would be 4 AIM-9s and 3 AIM-7s. I know they switched later one, but I don't actually have any Mk 82s laying around that I know of, but I did order some resin AIM-7s and -9s.

INCOMING. check your email

Geo

EDIT: Just found that Dany Coreman's book was printed in 2004 so read into that what you will. As far as I'm concerned, unless someone has a magnifying glass and a date of upgrades, it doesn't matter how you model it though it is nice to get it as close as possible. Then feel free to hit the guy with a hockey stick. I don't know if you have this, but I can send it if you want....

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Good one Cory. I think you know more than I do about these birds so I can`t help much. I took a bunch of detail shots of a 2 seater a few years ago and I can post any that you think might be useful.

FWIW, I was down at the Stampede on Friday and sat in what used to be '906, a two seater that was struck off. Now the cockpit is towed around for PR stints:

IMG-20150710-00425.jpg
IMG-20150710-00426.jpg
IMG-20150710-00427.jpg
IMG-20150710-00428.jpg

I have gotten a small start on it Dave, nothing worth posting yet. I've been busy so I haven't really worked on it a much, but got the most painful part almost out of the way.

Thanks Andy, that's great! I've seen one of those before, at Klondike Days here. That was a number of years ago now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back