**** DONE: 1/48 CF-104 Starfighter - The Jet Age. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beautiful work on the canopy Andy - I just hope my hands will allow me to do the same - and those latches on the sill are brilliant!
Having seen them in pics of the real aircraft, I've wondered how often the pilot snagged his clothing or harness,when exiting the cockpit !

Thanks for the missile rails - brilliant.
My order has been dispatched from MH, so your rivet tool is on the way, and I'll bring it to DX along with the doors - if there's anything else you need, just shout !

Thanks guys. Likewise Terry and thanks for the rosey riveter.

I made the 3rd fuel filler location stencil tonight by sharpening my leather punches to the right diameter and stamping some masks from a spare vinyl sheet that I had from Ad Astra.

15090801.jpg
15090802.jpg
15090803.jpg

The ring did not come out perfectly and I did take a fine brush to it to touch it up. After the outer ring was done, I added the kit decal for the cap itself and the result will pass a cursory look but will not please a finicky judge.

Thanks guys. No update tonight. Had a board meeting for our Mossie restoration and tomorrow night is another write-off. Hope to get back at it Friday and finish Sunday.

Thanks guys. Here are the last few additions before I post the finished thread.

The little angle of attack transmitters on the sides of the fuselage looked a tad clunky so I decided to toss them and make my own. Here is what the kit supplied piece looked like:

15091102.jpg

Making the little vane was a simple matter of gluing a piece of stretched sprue to some thin plastic card and cutting a slice off.

15091101.jpg

The result is shown below.

15091103.jpg

Next, the temperature probe was attached and painted (the black piece below the A in RCAF in the pic below). This piece is a little clunky as well and I probably should have replaced it too. However, it would have been a little trickier to do and I was running out of time but I may yet replace it in the future. Also seen below is the hinged canopy now attached and the little red and white chord which I attached to the top of the ejection seat rails, the purpose of which I don't know.

15091301.jpg

A few more shots of the finished canopy and cockpit follow. I swear that the only time I could see that the RCAF decal is slightly silvered is when I looked at these pics. It's simply not visible otherwise!

15091317.jpg
15091319.jpg

The finished pitot tube is now permanently fixed to the fuselage (I hope!)

15091302.jpg

The TACAN aerial was not supplied with the kit and was a simple addition made of plastic card painted black. It can just be seen in front of the nose wheel well.

15091303.jpg

The "RCAF" and "842" decals were added to the wing undersides.

15091304.jpg

The two gear doors with the bulges on them will be removed after I post my finished pics and traded with Terry, who needs the bulged doors and who has the flat doors that should be present on my machine.

And that, my friends, is pretty much it. Thanks to all who followed and who provided feedback and advice!

15091315 BW.jpg
10712782_10152349813562078_2701467333742769605_n.jpg

Last edited:
Heck, I missed this final post !
I came back to double check that I had packed the correct gear doors, and wow!
Nice detail work there Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back