1/48 CF-18 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Do you guys have any tips for drilling out circular holes that end up having lights in them? I have a horrible time getting them to look tidy. I need to drill out the hole for the observation light in the side of the nose.

As Andy says, start small and work your way up slowly, I use a pin vice and a lot of very fine drills. It is also important to mark the exact centre with some form of sharp point as a starting point for the drill.

Well, it's probably time you invested in a pin vice and bits Cory though it may not be necessary in this case. I'm not sure what the actual diameter of that light is but I'm guessing the lens is about 8 to 10 inches in diameter. At 1/48, that would call for a 3/16 or so bit which would be a common size in any regular twist drill set. If you have a drill set, you can actually try a starter hole using a 1/16" bit twisted between your fingers after having started the hole center point with a pressed pin. From the 1/16" bit, work your way up to the desired hole diameter through your drill set by twisting the bits between your fingers.

If that doesn't work, get yourself a good modeling drill set as it will always come in handy.

A pine vise and a set of micro drill bits has been invaluable to me since I bought them last year. Very handy! It's sometimes difficult to get a precise circular opening with a knife blade only.

I got to work with the Canadian Air Force guys up at Elmondorf back in 89-90 time frame when we did an exercise together. I was with AWACS and the Canadian ground crew were in the same barracks as us, them's some wild guys. Almost as bad as the Aussies but not quite.

Don't get one Cory I have two different pin vices one does small and med and the other hits the large bits to include dremmel bits I can use in a hand controlled motion instead of 5000 RMP. A burl bit can be a useful tool in slow motion.

You can get pin vices with multlple chucks that will cover you from anything form zero to 1/16 inch or more. I have this one. The one on the left is shown assembled and the one on the right shows all the individual bits. The chucks are dual-ended so you get 4 different size ranges. The spare chuck is stored inside the shaft.

pinvice.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back