1/48 F-106 Delta - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Terry, you are right of course. A case could easily be made for the RAT being deployed for service, but it is not a well molded piece and is probably best left out. As for the weapons bay, it held four AIM-4 Falcons and/or one AIR-2 Genie rocket on a trapeze that was extended out into the slipstream before firing. Later in its life it was fitted with an M-61 Vulcan in a gun pack that fitted into the weapons bay in place of the rockets.

Thanks David. Here's a little more work done. The gear and weapons bays have had an oil pin wash, followed by Dullcote ( to give it some tooth ) and then highlighted with Prismacolor pencils...

100_1284_640x480.JPG

100_1286_640x480.JPG

The weapons bay is next

Nicely done Bruce, and thanks for the info about the weapons bay. I've recently been reading an article (from the 1980s) covering the NORAD defence area, and these aircraft are shown. Could be a future subject for one of my builds methinks.

Time for an update...
The upper and lower wings are joined...

100_1287_640x480.JPG

...and the upper and lower fuselage have been mated. As is typical of early '80s Monogram kits the fit is terrible.

100_1288_640x480.JPG

100_1289_640x480.JPG

100_1290_640x480.JPG

The resulting seams need much filling and sanding. If you should build this kit, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that the process of sanding will trash the raised panel lines. Don't worry about it, do what you have to do to get smooth seams. Once that is done, go ahead and sand off the rest of the details. Even for fine raised panel lines they are to much for the Six. This was a clean aircraft. There will be a few that I restore, but most will be ignored because you would not be able to see them anyway.

Nice work Bruce, and I agree about the panel lines.
And if you think the fit and gaps on this kit are bad, I'll send you an Airfix Tornado! But then I'd feel guilty about giving you endless nightmares and a nervous twitch!

Looks great Bruce. I purchased this a few weeks ago, read some on-line reviews, then proceeded to put it at the bottom of my stash. I'll use your thread as a reference when I finally decide to start this little beauty.

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, Terry, George and Evan. It's not even that the fit is that bad. Remember, when this and the rest of the Monogram Century Series came out they were heralded as the new state of the art. If they had recessed panel lines the fit would not be a problem. It's just that the amount of sanding that needs to be done removes the raised lines and I have never seen a good way to restore them.You are stuck scribing new lines and that is no fun. If you just accept it, rather than fight it, there is no stress involved.

Looking good Bruce. My 102 has a similar joint in the tail fin and it came out all right after a lot of sanding. Wait until you attack those joints on the underside of the wing just in back of the leading edge. I spent days on my 102 with a half round needle file and a bottle of CA and accelerator. Don't think I posted any thing on those areas yet. I'll have to take some pictures.

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn and Yeah, let's see some pictures. The last Six I built didn't have fit problems this bad, but then, it was an older issue, younger molds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back