1/48 F4F-3 - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The all glass shelves are a real PIA. Heavy, expensive (edges are beveled), difficult to grip, and just ONE slip is a total disaster. The advantage is being able to see top to bottom and the over-head lighting reaches to the bottom

In my big case they are just 4mm plain glass, around 400 x 450mm and supported by a slot in the back of the cabinet and work great.

The all glass shelves are a real PIA. Heavy, expensive (edges are beveled), difficult to grip, and just ONE slip is a total disaster. The advantage is being able to see top to bottom and the over-head lighting reaches to the bottom
They sure are expensive, especially when you have them made custom. I picked up a nice big old china cabinet but it only had a few shelves so I had like 14 more made so I could space them 3" to 4" apart and it cost me almost as much as the china cabinet. It was worth it in the end though as it looks great. Only problem is that as big as it is it won't hold half it my finished models so I need to find another another one.

Last edited:
I didn't use tempered (toughened) glass in my custom made case. Nothing heavy enough to break regular plain old glass. Although the sides of the cabinet are tempered. even s dozen planes will weigh less then half a pound, 1/4 kilo.

Ive got my collection in individual cases (well most of them) and then they are arranged on a shelf in a built in cupboard. the wife absolutely wont let me disply them outside my office. interfeeres with the floral patter curtains or something....

So, I have mine on display for my own enjoyment, but I still like to look at them.

ive given a few away to family memebers as well. My plan is to build two complete sets of the RANs FAA, one for each son, before I die.

That's pretty cool Michael. When my three kids were born, I used their initials as the squadron codes on Spitfres, none of which matched up to actual squadrons.

Geo

Major apologies for abusing your thread Bill

Since my cabinets were designed for china the shelves are .25in(10mm) thick and of tempered glass, overkill for 1/48 models. As the number of models grow I have room for more shelves though it is a P I A to maneuver them in place. The front door slides left or right but only 1/2 way and there is no way to remove it completely so putting in a shelf is like a key in a lock and just ONE slip...

So before I packed my Bench away I got this in. Starting to assemble and add wiring to the PW. I had to add the styrene to get a mating surface, I used the square rod to align the two pieces to make sure they centered.

Then loaded my Sqn of misfits onto an old piece of foam rubber in the back of my truck. !5 miles later............... Nothing moved!!!!!!!!! Everything made it, safe and sound. A few more to go, but it should be fine!

Attachments

• GB21 F4F - 4.jpg
    GB21 F4F - 4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 146
  • sqdn moving day.jpg
    sqdn moving day.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Looking good Bill and congrats on the safe move. I'm slowly moving my built up models to Michigan 5 or 6 at a time and it's rare I do a trip without having to do a minor repair to an antenna or some such.

I'm fortunate that is straight on to, and off the highway, few bumps or wild turns......
More damage done by the stoogie movers than myownself.
One picked up my Lanc and gently tossed it on a pile of stuff!!!!!!!
Then the Other guy pushed a box into the B-24.................
WTF???????????????????????

All is okay, but what does it take?

Just hand em a bill for costs and $30/hour labor rate..... I actually did that years and they paid me for the busted up 1/48 B-17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back