1/48 F4F-3 - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WE now have 30 days to pack, got boxes yesterday to start. Movers were accusing me of being Too prepared! Said they usually get 2-3 days notice to move!!! We made arrangements 40 days in advance!

yeah, years ago when I was building and flying RC models we moved for work reasons. The movers made up 4 custom plywood/chipboard boxes for the planes. They arrived from Michigan to Texas in fine shape, the ex's china was toast. Somehow that was my fault.

16 mile move is all, I will carry them down the coast myownself, a few at a time.
Spent the morning at Ikea and they have a cabinet, glass shelves on the upper, doors on the bottom.
Enough room in one cabinet for 16-20 1/48ths, and we're getting TWO!
So I'll use my glass homebuilt case for the bigguns and the new ones for the fighters!

Sailoring on.

Sounds good Bill. Hope you can move the models without damage - that's the one thing that I always worried about in various house moves. The took longer to pack, and un-pack, than any other items, and, of course, were the most delicate items to handle.

Bill I bought and use someting similiar but they're massive and the glass shelves inside requre professional to move

Attachments

• DCP_1443.JPG
    DCP_1443.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 117
  • DCP_1445.JPG
    DCP_1445.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 118
  • DCP_1450.JPG
    DCP_1450.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DCP_1451.JPG
    DCP_1451.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DCP_1453.JPG
    DCP_1453.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 114
Damn, Mike, I do like that case of yours. Bill, I think once I am back to work, I will hit Ikea as well. I am back into growing african violets and I am thinking of a couple of open shelves. One for the planes and adding lighting to the other for the violets.

yeah, years ago when I was building and flying RC models we moved for work reasons. The movers made up 4 custom plywood/chipboard boxes for the planes. They arrived from Michigan to Texas in fine shape, the ex's china was toast. Somehow that was my fault.

I can more than relate to that with well over 20+ moves to my credit and possibly the final one later this year.

Mike, those cabinets look fantastic mate, ENVY, ENVY, ENVY.

Well it seems these cabinets were made for modelers.
800mm wide, 260 deep shelves and 2.2 meters tall.
Shelves behind the bottom doors.
The upper section can have glass shelves., 4 ofem.
I get TWO of these bad boys!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Billy-Displaycase.jpg
    Billy-Displaycase.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 106
The two that I have are actually china display cabinets. They stand 7ft(2.13m) by 4ft(1.22m) by 2ft(.61m) deep. The entire front is glass as well as the sides. The back and bottom are mirrors and there a 4 halogen lights at the top. They came with 4 glass shelves but I bought two extra so each cabinet has 5 shelves. The front door slides either to the left or right and locks. They are pretty air tight and very little dust gets in.

Ah yes, BUT, I'm using the bottoms for tool and equipment stores. These will be at my back at the dining room table still. Only things on the table will be my small tools. My big 450x550 glass cabinet will be between them and will hold the multi engine and big scale planes. So these cases have room for up to 40 1/48th scale planes eh!

The problem I had with open shelves was dust. No matter how gentle, I always managed to knock something loose. I had (years gone by) a big USS Constitution fully-rigged model. It was an absolute nightmare to keep clean

I spent two years looking for the right cabinets, as I wanted them large enough to take 1/32nd scale 'fighter size' models, as well as 1/48th scale models, hopefully up to four-engine bomber size (and/or twin engine 1/32nd, such as Mosquito and Beuafighter).
I finally got three, single door, all glass cabinets and a double door, wider version, for the smaller stuff, at a third of the retail price,and two large, deep, double door bookcase-type cabinets for the larger stuff, both of these for half the price of one!
The latter have four, fixed, wooden shelves, but there's space to add glass shelves in between, which I'm preparing to do, and also ad some extra lighting.
They took some finding at the right price, but the wait has been worth it - and what a difference they make, not just for display, but also keeping the dust out.

For my own custom case I have to have custom hinges made, unless I can find some odd hinges that will work for a door!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back