1/48 F4F-3 - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Username: N4521U
First name: Bill (will answer to most anything, just ask Paul)
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hobby-Boss
Extras: Decals for VMF-211 and some other stuff. ***Adding an Eduard cockpit PE set.

Another from my Davidson list. Lieutenant Carl Davidson, USMC of VMF-211 Wake Island. Flew the last F4F lost during the Japanese invasion of the island on 22 December, 1941. VMF-211, marked "211-F-9", BuNo 3988, engine no. 14179. Shot down by Petty Officer Third Class Tahara Isao of the Hiryu and crashed at sea, killing the pilot. Carl Davidson was awarded a posthumous Navy Cross for his actions in the defense of Wake Island:

Attachments

• GB21 F4F - 1a.jpg
    GB21 F4F - 1a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Carl Davidson was awarded a posthumous Navy Cross for his actions in the defence of Wake Island:​
For extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession while serving as a Pilot with Marine Fighting Squadron TWO HUNDRED ELEVEN (VMF-211), Marine Air Group TWENTY-TWO (MAG-22), Naval Air Station, Wake Island, during action against enemy Japanese land, surface and aerial units at Wake Island, 8 to 23 December 1941. Skilled as an airman, gallant as an officer and determined and aggressive in whatever he was assigned or voluntarily undertook to do throughout the bitter days of combat with a vastly superior enemy force, Second Lieutenant Davidson assumed a major role in maintaining morale among the officers and men imperiled with him, sustaining their spirits by his own unwavering high courage and inspiring them to greater effort by his heroic work in rescuing wounded from burning airplanes and camp areas and in reorganizing the unit following the first devastating enemy raid. Carrying out his daily tasks and his part in combat operations with initiative and fortitude during this prolonged period of siege, Second Lieutenant Davidson went up to fight two full squadrons of Japanese aircraft on 22 December, and, with only one other Marine plane for assistance, pressed home a vigorous attack against the large hostile force, diverting many enemy planes from the raid on Wake before he was shot down at sea following a fearless engagement with six Japanese fighter craft. His brilliant leadership and unswerving devotion to duty in the face of almost certain death constantly inspired the stouthearted defenders of this tiny island, and his valiant conduct throughout reflects the highest credit upon Second Lieutenant Davidson and the United States Naval Service.

I've also found the history of the aircraft from delivery to San Diego, shipped to Hawaii, aboard the Enterprise, service on Wake and an engine change before it and Carl were lost.

Attachments

• GB21 F4F - 1b.jpg
    GB21 F4F - 1b.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 218
  • GB21 F4F - 1c.jpg
    GB21 F4F - 1c.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 205
  • GB21 F4F - 1d.gif
    GB21 F4F - 1d.gif
    132.6 KB · Views: 224
i like bill.
this plane have asked me to do for Christmas to give it to a child for what ue I will follow closely to see that this is the mold

Bill, Now that I'm part of all this, I'm really looking forward to your build. Great aircraft. I've got one of these in the case, that I made at some point in the past. I see that you have put down "advanced". What does that signify?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back