1/48 Fw-190A3 - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great shots and thanks. I did some correcting.

Attachments

• F1-2.jpg
    F1-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Fw-1.jpg
    Fw-1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Fw-3.jpg
    Fw-3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 113
Nice going on the corrections Don. The Wurger is coming together nicely!

This is my favorite variant of the Würger, and Faber's plane in particular is my favorite color scheme. I've got a Thomas Gunn model of this plane sitting on my desk, as well a huge profile print of it on my office wall. AFAIK, this was the only pure fighter version of the 190 that was captured by the Allies during the war. I've also heard that this was actually Hans "Assi" Hahn's plane, that Faber just borrowed for the day. Any confirmation on that?

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to watching this build.

OK started squirting paint at it. Truthful commits please?

Attachments

• fw-4.jpg
    fw-4.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 115
  • fw-5.jpg
    fw-5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 123
  • fw-6.jpg
    fw-6.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 100
  • fw-7.jpg
    fw-7.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 113
  • fw-8.jpg
    fw-8.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1198 - Copy (2).JPG
    IMG_1198 - Copy (2).JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1205 - Copy (2).JPG
    IMG_1205 - Copy (2).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1221 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1221 - Copy.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 106
Not a bad effort. "Truthful comments":

- Agree with Terry that mottles are too pronounced. It appears your paint/thinner ratio is a bit on the high side and that you are holding the brush too far away. That's giving you the spatters outside of the mottle that shouldn't be there. I still have not perfected this myself but find I get the most success with thinning the paint a lot (40%paint to 60% thinner or more) and, holding the brush very close to the model and at about 15psi pressure open the valve on the brush a small amount and quickly move the brush in an irregular circular pattern. This takes tons of practice. Now Wayne will tell you he does this at a HIGH pressure, maybe 30 to 40psi and neither are wrong. Here's a sample of a more subtle mottle:

120428 3.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that, after doing the grey mottles, I went back over some of the areas with a very thin spray of RLM 76 to take some of the starkness out of the mottles. That's something you can still do to tone down your mottles a bit and get rid of the spattered areas.

- The wing pattern is not too bad but IMHO, the edge demarcation is too dispersed for the same reason given above. Freehanding a camo pattern in 1/48 scale is tough and I've tried both freehanding and masking, the latter using any technique that holds the edge of the mask slightly proud of the surface so that you get a bit of spray going under the mas to represent a soft edge. To do the freehand well, you need to hold the brush at a shallow angle to spray the edge. This limits the width of the soft edge and more represents reality at this small scale. Below is an example of a free hand edge I did on a 1/48 Spit. The model contest judges did critique this edge as being not quite tight enough:

110108 Fuel Cap.jpg

Compare that to another Spit done using the raised mask technique and you'll see that the demrcation is a lot tighter, maybe even too tight:

15032913.jpg

I struggle at 1/48 but feel that the masked technique is probably closer to the real thing. For a 1/32 scale model I would not hestitate to freehand but at 1/72, masking is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Andy, that is just what I was asking for, the wings I knew about. I am used to doing USAF camouflage patterns, SEA most common. I've done the mask, setting proud before, but I am used to going over the camo several times to get what I need. This won't work for the British or German planes of WWII. I'll be working on some of your suggestion. Many many thanks.

I'm not real happy with the dark grey also. It looks way to dark. But when I compare it to the museum piece or you 109, it's way off. Calls for RLM 74,75, 76' but the 76 is wrong or I can't read. Maybe both.

Last edited:
Andy has given a great answer, a good pattern can be achieved high or low pressure but you need to get your paint and thinner mix right either way as well as your chosen way, freehand or masking..and practice lots! :D

and yeah I think the Dark grey is a tad too dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back