1/48 P-61B - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
1/48 P-61B - Defense of Britain/Atlantic
Username: Donivanp
First name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Monogram
Model Type:p-61B
Aftermarket addons: After market Engine Cowls and one engine.

Attachments

• P-61-1.jpg
    P-61-1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 145
  • P-61-2.jpg
    P-61-2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 160
  • P-61-3.jpg
    P-61-3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Don, but it could be a tight squeeze fitting this one into the GB criteria. 'D' Day Landings were in June 1944. It is my understanding these guys only arrived in theatre from about May 1944 where they mainly hunted V1's.

Any thoughts folks!

Last edited:
I think they were evaluated by the USAAF and RAF as early as March 1944, prior to D-Day, but the first ops were not until late July 1944. But then again they were P-61A not P-61 B. As per "Queen of the Midnight Skies" by Pope/ Harrison.

Yep, only two 9th Air Force Squadrons flew the P-61A in the ETO, the 422nd and 425th Night Fighter Squadrons, starting in mid summer 1944, and moving to France by July. I'd need to check further, but I believe the operations from UK bases were mainly over the Continent.

Thought it may be, I guess I'll have to kill this one, kit comes with markings for two invasion stripped birds, that is what I was looking at. I have plenty others, we'll do a Goony bird and or a P-70 then. Plenty of Spits and Mustangs also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back