1/48 Hasegawa Ki-84 Hayate

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the info and pics George! I'll keep the hinomarus essentially chip-free then but will probably do some pre and post shading since they will be masked and painted. The pictures are informative and give me a better idea of where the high traffic areas where chipping is more likely to have occurred.

Very good results with hairspray John :thumbright:, as you say, it looks easier and with better control. :idea:

In my Nakajima "Rufe" I applied for the first time the method of salt and I think I just got the results I expected :-k, but is slower and you can not have real control of the area that you want to detail. The hydroplane I have it in process (now dabbling in how to solder pins to simulate the stairs :help:).

But in my P-47 I hope attempting shipping with hairspray. (BTW, I am a little delayed in upload photos ... :oops: )

I follow with great interest your process which will be excellent reference. :thumbup:

Saludos,

LC
SANCER

Very good results with hairspray John :thumbright:, as you say, it looks easier and with better control. :idea:

In my Nakajima "Rufe" I applied for the first time the method of salt and I think I just got the results I expected :-k, but is slower and you can not have real control of the area that you want to detail. The hydroplane I have it in process (now dabbling in how to solder pins to simulate the stairs :help:).

But in my P-47 I hope attempting shipping with hairspray. (BTW, I am a little delayed in upload photos ... :oops: )

I follow with great interest your process which will be excellent reference. :thumbup:

Saludos,

LC
SANCER

Thank you! I just looked at your Rufe and P-47 builds... great work Luis! I don't know if you are interested, but I recently built a 1/48 Thunderbolt in the MTO Group Build and used the hairspray method for chipping. Based on archived pictures of P-47's, I wanted to show both chromate yellow-green and metal chipping so there were a few more steps to that chipping process.

IMG_7247_zps169ce00b.jpg

The chipping is described in Page 7 of the following thread...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-2...mediterranean-theater-operations-42013-7.html

Looking very good John. I too am just learning the hairspray technique and I 'm thinking that you need to get at the chipping soon after the paint has gone on. I think, though, that the success of the technique is also very sensitive to the paint thickness, which stands to reason but it means taking care to ensure that minimal paint is laid down where you want the chipping to occur. Ironically, I find that I get a larger paint thickness at wing fillets because of the concave shape and that is exactly where I want the most chipping to happen.

On my Hurricane, the paint on the Middle Stone, which I applied yesterday, came off readily but the Dark Earth, which was applied OVER the Middle Stone, took a lot more effort.

Thanks Andy! I think you're right but be careful attacking your finish too soon. I've run into the situation where the paint comes off too easily and in bigger chunks than I anticipated and it is next to impossible to recover once you've removed paint. Although it took a LONG time, I'm happy with the level of fineness of this chipping job and I think it had to do with some of the factors that you mention.

Thank you! I just looked at your Rufe and P-47 builds... great work Luis! I don't know if you are interested, but I recently built a 1/48 Thunderbolt in the MTO Group Build and used the hairspray method for chipping. Based on archived pictures of P-47's, I wanted to show both chromate yellow-green and metal chipping so there were a few more steps to that chipping process.

The chipping is described in Page 7 of the following thread...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-2...mediterranean-theater-operations-42013-7.html

Thank you for visiting the worckbenchs. :p

I was about to advance the P-47 but ... I just spent over an hour enjoying and learning from your wonderful work in your "The Wog" ...:shock: !!!
Pufff !! I hope to achieve half of those great details you spent at your bird. :oops:
It's amazing the unconditional support of friends-fellow of the forum with amazing images and always timely tips !! :idea: :arrow: :idea: :arrow: :idea:

I am now convinced employ the technique of hair spray.

Greetings friend. :thumbup:

SANCER

This might help.

Technique: Multi-Layer Chipping | Doogs' Models

He used it on this, which I'll be following come February:

Painting Tamiya's 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair | Doogs' Models

Yes, Doog's Corsair build at LSP is where I picked up the multi-layer chipping method! I'm sure I mentioned him in my Thunderbolt build.

Now that the primary painting/chipping is done, it's time for the markings. Montex provides masks for the national markings and decals for the individual markings. They also provide markings for some of the line work on the upper wings, which I utilized.
IMG_7421_zps0d82bf12.jpg

The bottom hinomarus come next... they are the easiest since they don't have white borders. I like to put pieces of paper on the edges of the mask. This makes it much easier to handle and place the mask accurately.
IMG_7422_zpsd01570e9.jpg

A little pre-shading... red paint never covers well so it's best to be subtle here.
IMG_7423_zps1421f50d.jpg

After the red goes on, we have one meatball done!
IMG_7424_zps38cb68e4.jpg

The top one is treated similarly. Pre-shading after the mask is placed.
IMG_7425_zps8870139f.jpg

On goes the red. I guess you can do this in different ways but I chose to apply the white borders last.
IMG_7426_zps0d62a522.jpg

After the red, the mask remains in place and you put on the inner circle and spray the white. White actually covers fairly well so this works well enough. The hardest part is placing the inner circle in the center without any reference marks to try and ensure an even border all the way around.
IMG_7427_zpscf2d37fd.jpg

I did the hinomarus in pairs so that the masks don't get messed up. Bottom wings first, upper wings second and fuselage last.
IMG_7428_zps73db9220.jpg

IMG_7429_zpse75ca6bf.jpg

The drop tanks have been painted three times so far and I haven't liked the results. This time I use a random pre-shading pattern just to give the tank finish some depth.
IMG_7430_zps9fec8199.jpg

This time I'm trying light green (yellow, dark grey and light grey were scrapped). No chipping on these guys as they were usually made of wood or bamboo.
IMG_7431_zpsd3b6e4ca.jpg

The Montex decals are thin and behave well with the Microset/Microsol treatment. I won't permanently attach the front cowling until most of the weathering is done.
IMG_7432_zps7c847a3f.jpg

IMG_7434_zps948140bc.jpg

Time for a dirt bath! I use chalk pastels scraped into a small cup. I add a drop of dishwashing soap to break the surface tension of the water (makes it easier to mix) and a bit of water. A small brush is used to run the wash into all of the panel lines. No need to be neat or careful... it doesn't affect the paint and can be wiped completely clean.
IMG_7435_zps8d81dcab.jpg

I wait for the wash to complete dry before wiping it away using small, lightly dampened pieces of paper towel. The result should be highlighted details and a little bit of dirty streaks all over the aircraft.
IMG_7436_zps0bc84e03.jpg

Top gets the same treatment but a different color wash (black versus brown) since the camo is dark.

All of the bits and pieces have been pre-painted so it is just a matter of sticking them on. I don't like the polycap method that Hasegawa has chosen to attach the main landing gear. It should be secure and permanent IMO, especially since the inner doors are not removable.

Anyways... this Hayate is just about complete!

JTK_4713_zps620b4682.jpg

JTK_4715_zpsde3c989b.jpg

JTK_4716_zps40b5a3b8.jpg

JTK_4730_zpse83e4e3f.jpg

JTK_4724_zps6c65def2.jpg

JTK_4721_zps9091bf66.jpg

JTK_4728_zpsdbb19cf2.jpg

The only thing left is to attach the wing lights, which are the smallest clear parts I've ever seen. I'll wrap it up with a more complete set of pictures soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back