1/48 Heinkel He-111

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, as memo serves it was the H variant of the bomber. If you meant that.

It is a chronological sequence that allows to have at hand several views of the AW177 (...:thumbright: Wojtek).
I had not thought about "creating" any of the "now known" stages (very sensible question Andy :thumbright:).
The version that I can now confirm that I will try to do is the one in the color photo, but with the correct tone of Dark Earth.

Gracias a todos por el interés mostrado :thumbup:

The debate then is whether or not the fuselage roundels have the yellow outer ring. Perhaps the brown paint that has been applied was painted over the yellow. I have a hard time believing that the underside colour in that pic is yellow too.

....It's also interesting to compare the first and second pic. The red dot in the underwing roundel in the first pic is non-standard as it's too big. It seems to be correct in the 2nd 3rd and 5th pic for the standard A type.

I have the shot of a little bit better qulity. It appears that the camo scheme and RAF markings could be different from the one seen in the second and the next images. The fin flash seems to be painted along the entire hight of the fin. The top camo seems to be suplemented with the RAF colours. For instance .. the remnants of the dark colour on the top leading edge of the fin and top of the rudder. There can be noticed the darker spot of straight edges as the background for the fuselage roundel. The underwing roundel has the larger red disk as it was mantioned. The demarcation line between the top camo and undersides is also quite stright and more down contrary to the wavy one seen in later shots. The line looks like the one in the shot of the crashed plane but of the LW camo. It might have been the RLM65 was retained there at the stage. Additionally there is a dark camo spot behind the pilot cockpit. while the dorsal gunner station is encircled by the spot of the light colour. The other pictures of her show the dark paint at the area.
To sume up.. the first image shows her in the initail state jjust after being repaired. The second shots presents the bomber a little bit later when all works were finished or the plane was re-painted with the RAF colours entirely.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

What good pictures W!

Andy, if you are referring to the fuselage roundels, as those in the "waist" and not in the wings, I think there is no doubt and they are the only ones who have yellow in one of their circles, just like the samples in the post # 519.

Continuing with the abuse of my part, I would just have to have identified the colors that I must apply for each circle. I have located how to make the red of the roundels center, but I still can not find which tone is Blue,... and yellow, it is also RLM 04 Gelb?

The British would have used their own paints, not RLM (i.e. German) colours. Insignia Yellow is what you want and I have a reference of FS 33538 for that. There's a discussion going on right now about the blue

RAF WWII roundel colours
Very interesting discussion, so I could assume that the FS 35044 will be the color for the blue: Badge Blue also called Dull Blue.
Tomorrow I look for an equivalent in Tamiya or Vallejo or some mixture.

What I am sure of is that they are defining very relevant points for those interested in some project of the RAF.

THANK You :!::idea:... :thumbup:

Regarding the RAF roundels.. looking at the markings in the first image I would say that these were applid in the way to cover the LW crosses fully. It means that their diameter was fitted to the German markings. Therefore the underwing roundel seems to be larger with the central red disc. Please notice that there aren't any traces of overpainting of the LW insignias both on the underwings and fuselage sides. This might be the reason for the dark background of the fuselage roundel. Just that's the origin part of the German camo left there. Also in the case the underwing roundel covered the LW cross entirely without the need of painting the surface all around there. So this may indicate leaving of the RLM65 on the undersides at that time..

Although it's possible that the undersides remained in RLM 65, at least in the early stages after'capture', I think it's unlikely.
Captured enemy aircraft were re-painted in British colours as soon as possible after capture and repair / overhaul, with the yellow undersurfaces being intended as an anti- aircraft precaution, just like British training aircraft, to avoid being fired on by British AA units.

I agree my friend. Initailly it could have been left . The second pic shows that the plane was re-painted entirely.

With regards to the RAF roundel yellow. Citadel make a yellow that in my eye is bang on. I don't know how it sprays. I been to several of those gamer sites and half say it sprays well and the other have say it doesn't. Apparently it goes by two names, I have the one on the left. If it doesn't spray, this stuff is great for detailing cockpit knobs and buttons. I'll post a shot in my GB41 build shortly.

luis.png

I could not hold my tingling, to go to hobbyshop :headbang: (it is Tamiya's distributor here in Mexico City) and also has the distribution of the whole range of Vallejo.
Also very close to my house, so back from work appointments, I went shopping ... but only for the merely necessary (if not, I never get out of there)

I share the photo of my new members in the stock of paintings.
What was interesting was that they showed me 2 differentsModel Air Dark Earth (Tamiya does not produce that and the XF-64 Red Brown is far from similar)
The one I decided to buy is much more similar, You can see that the letters "BS ", surely the B, is" British ", so, it is more like that I posted as FS 30118, a bit clearer too ... but the other 71029 Dark Earth is very dark.

I will already to recive your comments ... 8-[

565.jpg

I have decided to do the painting sequence, beginning to do the original LW scheme, and then on it, work on the re-paintings of the RAF, with details in Dark Green and my new BS Dark Earth.

So first based on the diagrams, I drew as accurate as possible ..

559.jpg
560.jpg
561.jpg
562.jpg
563.jpg
564.jpg

They are not mathematically accurate, [-X because a lot of them will be superimposed with English colors.

In the end I have the time to wait for my friend the mailman with my shipments from abroad!\\:D/

Saludos y excelente semana para todos :thumbup:

IMHO the 71029 colour can be fine but as the origin shade for 1:1 scale bird. For the 1:48 it should be lightened with some of white to get the scale effect.

Here are shots of 1/72 scale Bf 109 model painted with the 71029 paint... please notice that the tone of the colour depends on the light conditions the images were taken with.

71029 Bf109_.jpg

71029 Bf109_a.jpg

71029 Bf109.jpg

the pic source: spitfire1677's RAF build

What is more the colours seems to get fadded very quickly. Please see the pics with the Fw 190 ...

fw190cap.jpg

190lamp.jpg

the pic source: FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: Captured Luftwaffe Fw 190 - 1426 flight in colour

fw190 captured2.jpg

fw190 captured1.jpg

fw190 captured3.jpg

Harold A. Skaarup, author of Shelldrake

It will be a matter of doing both tests of D. E., at last I already have the colors in Tamiya to make the mix (that's why I bought the XF-52)
Thank you both for your comment.
I hope that today it will be possible to start the masking and apply the RLM 71

Saludos :thumbup::thumbup:

It's an option, Geo, in fact I have the RLM 04 Gelb from Mig, it's the one I used to paint the bottom part.
I also thought about using it, ... to see what happens. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup::thumbup:

The yellow for the RAF roundel should be the FS 33538 or FS 33655.
The Tamiya mix can be 95% XF-3 + 5% XF-7. As far as the Vallejo paints are taken into consideration, either the Model Air 71.033 or just the Model Air 71.078 is recommended.. IMHO the 71078 is a good equivalent of the FS 33538. The MR.Paint one could be the MRP-122 Insignia Yellow WWII RAF.

538.jpg
655.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back