1/48 Heinkel He-111

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm with Andy.
I only use enamels (sometimes, but rarely, acrylics) and spray at around 15 psi for general work, lowering the pressure a little for curved areas which create an acute angle between surfaces, such as wing roots.
With enamels, I normally run at around 60% thinners to 40% paint,depending on paint colour (some thinner pigments can run at 50/50), and mostly build-up the colour with multiple passes of the 'brush.
The 'pebble' effect is normally caused by high pressure, and the distance of the nozzle from the surface.
High pressure causes the paint to 'bounce' off the surface, and the distance, if too great, combined with the pressure, causes the paint (particularly acrylics) to start to dry before it has adhered to the surface.
As Andy mentioned, thinning the paint more, starting at at least 50/50 and doing some tests, should prevent this happening.
For 'tight' wing root areas, it also involves turning the model (or the 'brush) to maintain the optimum spraying angle, to prevent uneven 'spread'.

Last edited:
It is a great addition to the information received, thank you Terry. :thumbup:
Surely someone other than me is taking notes. It's the good thing about this, that we all learn from everyone.

Thanks guys for the enrichment of this thread. :grouphuuug:

I found in my stock of paintings the RLM 04 Gelb among the few paintings I have of Mig (125) so that with 15% approx of RLM 80 (248) and 20% of Vallejo Thinner, I made the base color:

540.jpg
541.jpg
542.jpg

Then with white Tamiya XF-2 and black green XF-27, I painted the rivet lines and lines of panels respectively:

543.jpg
544.jpg
545.jpg
546.jpg
547.jpg
548.jpg

After a few minutes, I tried to make a sanding (because the surface was still a bit rough), and it did not represent any problem, so it would leave the whole plane to spend the rest of the night and early morning with all her skin, smooth and soft ...

550.jpg
551.jpg
552.jpg

Today at night maybe I already apply the diluted RLM 04 as appropriate and the suggested PSI. I will begin to take advantage of its recommendations mentioned above.

Greetings and good weekend for everyone. :thumbup:

Very nice. I'm amazed how you guys can mix colours to match the colour you need. Decals were sent this morning Luis. It took one week for decals to get to Jan in Scotland and almost four weeks to get decals to Andy over a mountain range(I could have driven them there in 11 or so hours) Hopefully the delivery time will be closer to Jans

Very nice. I'm amazed how you guys can mix colours to match the colour you need. Decals were sent this morning Luis. It took one week for decals to get to Jan in Scotland and almost four weeks to get decals to Andy over a mountain range(I could have driven them there in 11 or so hours) Hopefully the delivery time will be closer to Jans
Thank you Geo, from the jungles of Canada to here, is straight line down on our continent, surely it will take less, ... :-k ... although what can worry me is the efficiency of our Mexican Postal Service ... :laughing6:

By some particular courier company, did you send it ?, to keep me pending.

Muchas gracias!! :thumbup:

Good on you Geo - another example of the friendly help on this forum.

Luis, remember that this aircraft had been re-sprayed, by the RAF evaluation unit at Farnborough, and therefore the airframe would not show signs of weathering, or distinct panel lines, other than (eventually) some dirt and exhaust staining.
Accordingly, the underside yellow, in particular, would look fairly fresh for the period you are portraying. Any panel line visibility would be minimal.

Good advice, Terry, that's how it will be.

Regarding the SUPERIOR part, I want to confirm the camouflages scheme,... is the traditional one of the Luftwaffe in RLM 70 and RLM 71?
The color with which the English "covered" the emblems and squad number plates (I hope so they can be called), had been painted them with some color tone in particular, before putting the RAF roundels?

You can see in some photos how the "stains" that cover them and the roundels are painted above.

Any suggestions?

The aircraft was re-painted in RAF Dark Earth on at least part of the upper surfaces.
A colour photo shows this, looking like Dark Earth and Dark Green, although the pattern, at least in parts, appears to be a mixture of the original Luftwaffe camouflage scheme, and a 'softer', wavy British style, and it's very possible that the 'Dark Green', instead of being the RAF colour, was the original RLM 71, which was fairly close in tone and shade to the RAF paint.
The unit badge shield was retained on the nose.
Pic below from 'RAF in Colour' by Roger Freeman.

RAF Heinkel.jpg

The aircraft was re-painted in RAF Dark Earth on at least part of the upper surfaces.
A colour photo shows this, looking like Dark Earth and Dark Green, although the pattern, at least in parts, appears to be a mixture of the original Luftwaffe camouflage scheme, and a 'softer', wavy British style, and it's very possible that the 'Dark Green', instead of being the RAF colour, was the original RLM 71, which was fairly close in tone and shade to the RAF paint.
The unit badge shield was retained on the nose.
Pic below from 'RAF in Colour' by Roger Freeman.

View attachment 529227

The pic is inverted horizontally. Here is the edited one.

RAF Heinkel_.jpg

I have this last photograph.
The truth I would like more than the colors were Dark Earth and Dark Green (or RLM 71).
I have not found in the network any drawing, diagram or pattern that clearly shows what is the design of the final camouflage scheme achieved by the RAF.

The color photo is originally taken in color? or "retouched" to "make it in color"?

Thank you for your valuable input Terry and Wojtek in this crucial instance of color at the top of our AW177.

I will continue looking for or interpreting in the photos in B / W that we have, as how would be the sides that we do not see in the color photo, with the colors you mention Terry.

Saludos colegas y amigos :thumbup:

Taking into account Terry's comments, regarding the yellow color re-applied by the RAF evaluation unit at Farnborough, knowing that it was recently applied, the bottom part will have a very slight weathering.

For the same, the final color is more uniform. It seems to me that, the result is enough ... so far.

553.jpg
554.jpg
555.jpg
556.jpg
557.jpg

So it spended the night before ...

558.jpg

Regarding the colors on the top, I have these images with the traditional Luftwaffe camouflege scheme:

"A"
Camu2.jpg

"B"
Camu3.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the color RLM 71 to which Terry refers (like the Dark Green, very similar in parts to the RAF tone), is really the RLM70, taking as a reference the dark green tone at the ends of the wings. (some finger error?:dontknow:)
According to what is indicated in the photo "A" the RLM71 is the one that changes by the Dark Earth of the RAF:

Camu4.jpg

... and it is more obvious, as the lighter color in real photographs:

Camu5.jpg

I will do some tests on white cardboard, to achieve the most similar to the RAF Dark Earth, as well as identify well the RLM 70 and 71 tones I have in Vallejo's Model Air and the Dark Green XF-61 Tamiya tone.

Then With the confirmation of your opinions, I´ll go safely with the painting work.

Saludos :thumbup:

I think you may be right on your conclusions Luis Carlos but can't be certain.

I've been successful in making you a set of masks to your size specs and this is what you'll get:

20190216_114141.jpg

I know Geo is sending you the lower set as decals but I made you some masks anyway. Ignore the colours as it's only the way I kept things straight in the software. You'll be getting these as clear vinyl and they will be in the post on Monday morning. Hopefully they arrive in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back