1/48 Italeri Junkers Ju-87 B (or R... haven't decided yet!)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some Vallejo gloss coat, and into the decals.There are a lot of them...

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2043.jpg

I opted for the printed decal walkways rather than the etch.
Had a bit of trouble with Mr Mark Setter, which seemed to strip the gloss finish off:

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2044.jpg

Applied some more gloss to cover the damage, followed by Vallejo satin. Nice to be using paint products that don't give me a headache from the fumes!

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2045.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2046.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2047.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2048.jpg

Damn! That came up really nice Doug, well done!! Alas my Stuka is still languishing in it's box. Kind of lost my mojo for this one.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Gotta say Grant this hasn't been a mojo inspiring build. Lots of little annoyances including poor fit, strange placement of sprue attachment points, coupled with poor choices on my part and operator error... still, for my first ever Stuka, I think it might look ok! To the untrained eye...
Been a learning experience too, and even though it's pushing the 6 month mark as it nears completion, I feel like I'm learning heaps in a hobby I thought I'd cut loose decades ago.

Time for some grime! I'm still very new to washes, and mucking about with oils I'm finding a bit tricky. Has been made more pleasurable by learning about odourless thinners! Pic below shows port wing underside done, in contrast to the pristine starboard wing:

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2049.jpg

Apart from trying to highlight the rivets and joins, I really wanted to take some of the brightness out of the stark white of the insignia. Onwards:

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2050.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2051.jpg

Side note: how I have not snapped off the aerial mast or an aileron or flap yet is nothing short of a miracle!

Just back-tracking to an earlier time in the build, when I was dry-fitting the dive brakes, and noticed that the locating pins are too close together compared with the holes in the wing for them. Result: bent dive brakes.

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2074.jpg

I cut down one pin to allow them to sit parallel with the lower wing.

Once attached I decided to use the provided decals rather than try and mask and paint. They went on really nicely with some Mr Mark Softer applied.

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2075.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2076.jpg

And as you can see, landing gear spats and wheels/tyres are on too. I ignored Italeri's attempt at weighted tyres (looked like flat tires to me) and will flatten the base myself. SC250kg bomb on too.

Believe it or not... it's finished. Tail plane finally on (supporting struts didn't fit too well). The cowling fit is atrocious, but removed displays a bit of the work I did on the engine. Some thinned black sprayed to cover the exhaust stains, minor chipping and scrapes with a silver-grey pencil, and added the final fiddly mass balance do-dads on the ailerons and footsteps. Wing machine guns left over from my Fw 190 build. Uschi rigging for the aerial wire. Worked hard on trying to make the landing light glass fit better, but it's pretty ordinary. Needed a lot of sanding, polishing, and a gloss final coat to make it a bit more see-through. I tried and tried to fit the Eduard photoetch gunsight on the MG in the rear canopy, but my "essential" tremor made that impossible. I'll just have to move up to 1/24 scale I reckon...

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with my first Stuka. Don't think I'll be going the Italeri road for my second one though...

Thanks for dropping in and your encouragement along the way chaps!

Oh: it's an "R" by the way!

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2065.jpg

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2053.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2054.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2055.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2058.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2061.jpg

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2062.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2063.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2064.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2068.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2070.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2071.jpg
Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2073.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back