1/48 Italeri Junkers Ju-87 B (or R... haven't decided yet!)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A post started in (comparison with) / (companionship with) / (contrast to) my Aussie comrade-in-Stuka-building-arms Grant, who is (contemporaneously) building the same Italeri beast with a different scheme/finish than me.

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1029.jpg

See Grant's thread for impressions of the quality of the model, but to summarise, we've both found poor fit at the wing roots, super thick trailing edges of wings, and chunky sprue attachments.

Build begins: I couldn't resist having a crack at detailing the engine, even though I'm not sure I'll have it on display or not. I'm envisaging an airfield diorama, so cowlings off would be nice, but I'm not convinced I can cram enough complexity into the Jumo to make me happy. Not at the first attempt anyway! The basics are there, but they are basic...

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1002.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1001.jpg

I started by getting rid of the 2D plug leads and drilling the extra hole visible in most images of the engine. Then used fine lead wire to give them something in the third dimension. The firewall is pretty sparse too, so I added extra structural components and details using the detailed manuals available here, but feel like it's still the comic book version of what's really there.

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1004.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1005.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1008.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1009.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1013.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1014.jpg

Note the extra hole added in the "ringspant" (the circular silver bit at the front of the engine) which Italeri had filled with plastic. Italeri have helfpully provided some flexible hose to add some life to the engine, but examination of the manuals shows it going in the wrong directions and places, so I tried to get that sorted. Missing from the engine are the structures that the various cowling pieces actually attach to, and although I made an attempt at scratch building these, they failed dismally. Cowls may have to go on after all...

Cockpit next: I bought the Eduard cockpit detail set, but foolishly for the Airfix kit, thinking there wouldn't be much difference. Wrong. Needed a bit of surgery to make the instrument panel fit into the tub assembly.

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1003.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1006.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1007.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1010.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1011.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1012.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1015.jpg

I thinned down the pilot seat quite a bit, but overlooked doing the same to the spent shell casing container at the rear of the gunner's position. Looks pretty fat! Had trouble locating the extra MG ammo containers too.
I also opened up the handhold on the fuselage, as they didn't have spring mounted covers like the more "modern" fighters did.

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1016.jpg

Fuselage halves joined:

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1022.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1023.jpg

Couldn't resist popping the engine on to have a look!

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1024.jpg

Next up: wings. As discussed, not great and the trailing edge thickness makes me grumpy. I tried to thin them from the inside, but it had no obvious effect, so I got even grumpier and just glued the buggers together (A move I now regret), and cleaned up all the plastic shavings I'd made...

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1017.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1019.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1020.jpg

Dry fitting showed just how bad the wing roots were going to be, and to reduce the step from fuselage to wing, I set about removing plastic from under the fuselage just behind the firewall. This had some positive effect, but not enough to remove it altogether, and still grumpy, I just glued the bugger onto the fuselage (yet another move I'm regretting!).

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1025.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1026.jpg

Moral to the story? Don't glue when grumpy.
Of course I found Grant's clever fix soon after...

The gaps between the cockpit tub and fuselage walls was addressed with some plastic Evergreen strip:

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1028.jpg

Cheers chaps!

Attachments

• Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1027.jpg
    Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-1027.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Glad to have you join us with your own tread Doug. Your engine detail and the internal detail are great, you have a good eye and I'd love to know how you achieved that surface on the switch panel to the right of the pilot seat, it really helps the set the innards off in great style. :D

Glad to have you join us with your own tread Doug. Your engine detail and the internal detail are great, you have a good eye and I'd love to know how you achieved that surface on the switch panel to the right of the pilot seat, it really helps the set the innards off in great style. :D
Well I'd like to say it was skill... but I'd be lying. All thanks to Mr. Eduard and his cockpit detail set! :)

Thanks, makes sense now. I did the snake Ju-87 Airfix not so long back with engine showing. Take a peek: 1/48 Scale Junkers Ju87R-2 Stuka

:D
Wow Vic, that's a great build. Love your work with the cowling flaps... I was wondering how to tackle that, and may stand on your shoulders for that one! The Airfix kit seems to have a bit more going for it "detail-wise"... one example being the centre-line bomb mounting for the swing cradle on the firewall, which is completely lacking on the Italeri kit. That Haynes workshop manual would be a good read too!

Hey Doug - I'm taking some time out from work to take a quick peek here!!! One of the few advantages of working from home I guess.

Really nice work on the engine and cockpit. All the additions have really made the cockpit "pop", so definitely worth the effort there!

I have my engine assembled and painted but not yet installed. I might borrow some of your additions if that's OK. I've not really invested anything for reference material on this aircraft so my additions thus far have been rudimentary.

I'll be curious to see how your canopy fits - I suspect one of the downsides of the wing chord fix I made was to "pull out" the fuselage width slightly right where it's the weakest (ie: the canopy area). Might have to find a way to apply some gentle heat and pressure to move it back in, assuming it is as bad as I fear that is...

Best get back to work I suppose. Thanks for posting your build - I will definitely be using your build as a spur to get my own back on track. Cheers!

Wow Vic, that's a great build. Love your work with the cowling flaps... I was wondering how to tackle that, and may stand on your shoulders for that one! The Airfix kit seems to have a bit more going for it "detail-wise"... one example being the centre-line bomb mounting for the swing cradle on the firewall, which is completely lacking on the Italeri kit. That Haynes workshop manual would be a good read too!
Can't tackle it now Doug but will get a couple of pics from the manual for the cowling flaps and the bomb rack for you tomorrow. :D

So on closer inspection, the main problem with trailing edge thickness comes from this raised "strip" along the underside of the wing, which due to the attachment of the flaps/ailerons can't really be solved without removing them... (yellow arrows):

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2002.jpg

The orange circled area is also problematic, in that the outboard hinge attachment for the inboard flap should not be there (as you look at the photo, the right hand attachment) but the poorly formed inboard hinge attachment for the outboard flap is correct. See, for example:

IMG_1412.JPG

Anyway, on with the damage:

Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2003.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2004.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2005.jpg Ju-87-Stuka-Italeri-2006.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back