<-- 1/48 Mosquito PR.IX -Twin Engined Aircraft WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
DH. Mosquito PR.IX, serial number LR429, 540 Sqn (PRU) RAF, September 1944.

Username: Airframes
Name : Terry
Category:- Judge - non competing.
Kit : - Mosquito PR.XVI.
Scale :- 1/48th.
Manufacturer :- Airfix.
Accessories :- Some parts from the True Details resin FB.VI cockpit set, Eduard pre-coloured PE, 'Rob Taurus' vac- formed 'bomber' canopy, re-profiled Tamiya paddle blade props, some scratch-building, decals from kit and decals files.

My third entry for this GB is another Mosquito, this time a conversion from the Airfix PR.XVI, into the similar, but different, PR.IX, the first of the Mosquitos with the longer nacelles housing the 2 stage, 2 speed Rolls Royce Merlin engines, these being either the Merlin 72/73 or 76/77, both rated at 1,680 hp.
Similar in outward appearance to the B.IX bomber, of which only 54 were built, a total of 90 PR.IXs were built, the first aircraft entering service with 540 Squadron on 23 May, 1943, with the first operational sortie being flown on 20th June.

I'll cover more on the aircraft, the kit, and the conversion in the next post, meanwhile here's a pic of the (ropey) box art from the current issue of the kit.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

Mosquito PR.IX build 001.jpg
Mosquito PR.IX build 002.jpg
Mosquito PR.IX build 003.jpg
I don't bl**dy believe it !
I've just spent around 45 minutes typing the background info, then checked some info on another site, came back, and the post has gone !!
B*LLOCKS !!!

So, second attempt at providing some background to the subject.

In October 1942, No.1 PRU (Photographic Reconnaissance Unit) reformed, at Benson, Oxfordshire, UK, into five squadrons, three with Spitfires, and two, numbers 540 and 544 Squadrons, with Mosquitos.
The 'Mossies', initially PR1 and PR.IV types, followed by the 'stop gap' PR.VIII, ranged far and wide, completing sorties as far north as Narvik, and as far south as Pilsner, operating in the Meteorological Reconnaissance role, as well as photographing rail and transport networks, target recce, and BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) sorties, and often flew 10 or more sorties per day, non stop, day in, day out.
Additionally, a constant vigil was maintained on the German cruisers in their ports on the Atlantic coast, and later in the Norwegian fjords, and it was a Mosquito which brought back the first evidence of the V1 weapons, leading to many more sorties, photographing the test facility at Peenemunde, on the Baltic coast, and the construction of the V1 'No Ball' sites on the Channel coast.
As well as the main base at Benson, detachments also operated from Leuchars and Wick, in Scotland, St.Eval in Cornwall, and from Malta and Gibraltar, extending the operational areas of both 540 and 544 Squadrons.

In May, 1943, the Mosquito PR.IX entered service, the first two aircraft arriving on 540 Sqn on 29th May, with the type's first Operational sortie taking place on June 20th.
The PR.IX, of which 90 examples were built, was the first Mosquito to be powered by the 2 stage, 2 speed Rolls Royce Merlin, these being the Merlin 72/73 or 76/77, developing 1,680 hp. With a range of 2.450 miles with full internal fuel and wing tanks, at a cruising speed of 250 mph and a maximum speed of over 400 mph, the PR.IX could operate above 30,000 feet, and could outpace enemy fighters by entering a shallow dive.
Camera fit depended on requirements, and could be mounted in five camera positions - two vertically mounted in the forward section of the bomb bay, now used for extra fuel tanks, two vertically in the lower aft fuselage, and one obliquely mounted in the port, aft fuselage. In addition, two forward-facing cameras could be mounted in dummy wing tanks, one in each tank, for low-level oblique photography and he production of 'stereo pairs' photos.
The PR.IX, like its cousin the B.IX bomber version, of which only 54 were built, did not have a pressure cabin, and retained the earlier cockpit canopy, with an observation blister on each side, like that on the B.IV.
With it's longer engine nacelles, the PR.IX was, externally at least, very similar to the PR.XVI which followed, and served alongside the earlier types. The PR.XVI could be distinguished by the small air scoop near the windscreen, ventilating the pressureised cabin of this version, and by the additional blister on the cockpit canopy roof, with the side blisters replaced by 'blown' bulged side windows.

The Subject.

The aircraft being modelled is DH Mosquito PR.IX, serial number LR429, of 540 Squadron, in September, 1944.
This aircraft was flown by Flt.Lt Ken W Watson, RAAF and his Navigator, Flg.Off Ken H Pickup, RAFVR, on 4th September, 1944, on a sortie to photograph the rail network in the Nurnburg - Munich area.
Whilst on a photo run, at 29,000 feet (8,839 meters), a He280 jet fighter (sic) was observed, approaching from starboard. Ken Watson took immediate evasive action, losing sight of the jet. But then two Me262s attacked, with the Mosquito continuing to evade them for 15 minutes, eventually diving to 'zero' feet, when the tip of a pine tree shattered the 'Perspex' nose cone, showering the crew in pine needles, and allowing a freezing draft to roar into the cockpit.
Watson took the Mosquito through the Brenner Pass, eventually landing at San Severo in Italy, where the aircraft was repaired. On returning to Benson, the Mosquito developed a fault in the landing gear, and had to perform a crash-landing, although both Watson and Pickup survived without injury.
One source states that the aircraft was written off following this incident, although the De Havilland Production Listings show it as being Struck Off Charge on 13th December, 1945. However. the listings also show the entry 'ME', after it's service with 540 Sqn, and before being SOC, which might mean it served as an Instructional Airframe ?
The Production Listings do not include a 'Key' to abbreviations, and I have been unable to uncover any further information.

This aircraft was finished overall in PRU Blue, with blue and red 'Type B' roundels on the fuselage and upper wing surfaces only, and the standard red,white, blue fin flash. The only other makings carried were the serial number, in 8 inch black characters, just forward of the tail planes, and the standard instructional and warning stencils.
Although some PR.IXs were known to carry small code letters (possibly 18 inch) in Medium Sea Grey, forward of the fuselage roundel, such as LR432, with the code 'L1', and later, the PR.XVIs displayed a single-letter code, in 8 inch black characters, directly below the serial number, most PR Mosquitos at this period seemed to be devoid of code letters.

The Kit.

First released in 2003, as a B.XVI / PR.XVI, with optional parts and decals for both types, the current version, released in 2014, is for the PR.XVI only, although the 'bomber' parts are still included.
This has to be one of the oddest kits ever released by Airfix, or any other manufacturer !
Utilising some common mouldings from their earlier FB.VI kit, first released in 1980, the kit is provided with a new fuselage, upper wings, engine nacelles, two styles of canopy, and cockpit parts.
However, most of the remainder of the FB.VI kit is also included in the box, including the fuselage, lower wing sections, engine nacelles, instrument panel, rockets and canopy !
Released during one of their 'resurgent' periods, I can only assume that Airfix thought it easier, or cheaper, or both, to just add the extra parts, rather than remove those not required for this version, although it must have been just as difficult to remove just the lower wings and other bits !
(I'm actually thinking of ways to employ these major parts, rather than let then go to waste, although there aren't quite enough to make a complete aircraft .)
The 'old' parts are in the original, slightly shiny grey plastic, with mainly raised surface detail, whilst the new parts are in a newer type of soft, slightly textured, light blue- grey plastic, and are quite nicely moulded, with restrained, engraved surface detail.
Detail on the interior is mainly moulded onto the cockpit walls, with the new cockpit floor and instrument panel and control column having some nice, fine detail. Strangely though, the fuel gauge console for the starboard wall, moulded as part of the fuselage on the FB.VI, is not present on the newer kit, although what appear to be locating pins for a separate part, not provided, are evident.
The two-stage Merlin nacelles are reasonable in shape and detail, although the intercooler and carb intakes could do with some re-shaping, and the exit louvres, intended for the jointly-released NF.30 kit, should not be present on the PR.XVI.
I'll highlight more of the details and areas needing correction, as the build progresses.

So, why a PR.IX, and not just build the model as the very similar PR.XVI provided in the kit ?
Well, this goes back 25 years or more, when I converted the Airfix FB.VI kit into a B.XVI, using an old Monogram kit nose section, extending and moulding the engine nacelles with 'Milliput', and fitting a 'blown' bomber canopy which I moulded.
I never actually got around to finishing the final details and, having stood gathering dust for so long, the home made canopy has, for whatever reason, become discoloured, and can not be cleared.
The intention was to refurbish this model, in a different colour scheme, and replace the canopy with the 'blown' bomber version from the PR.XVI kit.
However, although the kit provides the bomber and PR canopies, along with all of those other, unneeded parts, the 'blown' side panels are separate parts, to be fitted to one or other of the canopies, not both.
So, as I still have a Monogram Mosquito bomber canopy in the spares box, the same style as fitted to the PR.IX, I thought I could utilise this, and still fit the 'blown' canopy to the refurbished B.XVI., thereby having the possibility of producing two complete models.
I've since discovered that the Monogram canopy doesn't quite fit properly and, although modifications could be made to the Airfix fuselage, it might not look exactly right. However, after trimming the excellent Rob Taurus vac-formed B.IV canopy, designed for the Tamiya kit, I found that this should work out quite well.
The other 'problem' area was the props, as the PR.IX had the earlier, 'needle' blade props, whereas the Airfix kit provides only the later, paddle blade type, found on later FB,VI and late B.XVI/ PR,XVI aircraft.
But this has also been solved, as the spare Tamiya paddle blade props I have, are not correct in chord, or at the root area, but the latter is correct for the earlier props, and the blades can easily be re-profiled to the shape of the needle type.

So, a long-winded Introductory post, but hopefully i'ts explained 'what's what', and I hope to make a start, first correcting the engine nacelles, in the not too distant future, once the NF.XII is near completion, and the FB.VI a little more advanced,

The profile shows the subject aircraft, and the pics show Flt. Lt. Watson, and Flg. Off. Pickup, the crew of LR429. Both men survived their tours with 540 Sqn.
Sadly, Ken Watson lost his life, after the war, when a photo-flash bomb exploded in the bomb bay of the Canberra he was landing, on 3rd June, 1954.

Last edited:
I don't bl**dy believe it !
I've just spent around 45 minutes typing the background info, then checked some info on another site, came back, and the post has gone !!
B*LLOCKS !!!

I'll keep this page free, and re-write the bl**dy thing tomorrow !
Some days you are the dog, some days you are the fire hydrant.

Jeff

So true. I've sometimes typed a reply and forgot to hit "Post Reply" before exiting the page and realized later that my post was not there. Now, in my case, the site has rewards my stupidity by autosaving my post as a draft. It can still be seen in faint grey in the reply box and only needs me to hit the "Post Reply" button. Did you check Terry?

Nice to see you on a roll with a third Mossie. Looking forward to this.

Thanks chaps - I'll post the background in Post ~2 shortly.
Yes Andy, the text is normally retained in grey lettering, but not this time !
Heck Glenn, I'm confused already, trying not to place parts on one Mossie destined for another !

Last edited:
Thanks very much chaps !

I've now posted the Introduction, and details on the kit, in Post #2 of this thread.
I hope to make a start in the not too distant future, once the NF.XII is near completion, and the FB.VI has had the fuselage closed up.

Terry, the production list you referenced does have a list of abbreviations, though "ME" does not appear. Go to "Notes" (top right on the home page) and there's a link to the list of abbreviations in the top left corner of the table that appears on the notes page.

Thanks Andy and Steph, an thanks for that info Andy.
I haven't got any more done today, due to still being a bit stiff, but I've spent more time checking the fit o the various canopy options for the models, and important factor that needs to be finalised before proceeding further with the builds.

Since I had to wait for the mould for the 'Gee' equipment for the FB.VI to cure, I've made a start on the PR.IX.
I spent a lot of time trying out various canopy options, so that I can use the 'bomber' canopy from this kit on the old, to be re-furbished, B.XVI conversion mentioned earlier. The result of all these trials showed that, despite a number of possibilities for the PR.IX, the only canopy that would be able to be adapted to fit the B.XVI conversion, was the old Monogram canopy !
This means I will have to re-furb the converted kit as a B.IX instead, which is not a problem, and it also means I could do the PR version as a PR.XVI, from the box, after all.
However, apart from the fact that every man and his dog seem to do the PR.XVI version, and I fancy something different, the PR.IX appeals to me, with the original style 'bomber' canopy, and the earlier props, so the build will remain as originally planned.
The excellent Rob Taurus vac-formed B.IV canopy, designed for the Tamiya kit, has been removed from the mould form and trimmed, and the bottom edges of the 'V' windscreen have been chamfered , to allow it to 'sit' properly in the cockpit aperture of the Airfix kit.

Rather than commence work with the re-shaping of the engine nacelle inter-cooler and carb intakes, I thought it best to get the fuselage done first, as there are camera ports to open up and check for window fit, and quite a lot of work involved getting the cockpit prepared for fitting-out, and actually fitting the new parts and kit parts, as well as a little scratch-building.
The 'True Details' FB.VI resin cockpit set I picked up cheap some time ago, has really come in useful, as the entrance door will be going on the Airfix FB.VI in my other thread, the radios will go into the Tamiya B.IV when I build it, and the sidewall details will be used for this PR.IX - not bad for a 'bargain' resin accessory kit, designed for use with the Tamiya FB.VI kit !!
In addition to the resin bits, some of the Eduard coloured PE set will be used here too, with the top for the radio channel selector, the compass rose, instrument panel, seat harnesses, and the front for the fuel gauges panel being utilised and, if possible, perhaps some of the placards.
So, first job was to measure-up and check the resin side wall parts, and adapt these as required, before removing any unwanted side wall detail from the kit fuselage parts, and then fitting the modified resin pieces.

PIC 1.The port side of the cockpit, with the 'True Details' resin part above. All of the moulded detail aft of the vertical pencil mark (marking the line of the instrument panel) needs to be removed.
PIC 2. After a trial fit, 0.5 mm was removed from the rear end of the resin part, the front edge was trimmed flush with the compass, and the lower section, with the fire axe, was removed. (the axe can be used behind the pilot's seat on the Tamiya FB.VI)
PIC 3. Trial fit of the resin part with the floor and instrument panel slotted in place, to check clearance.
PIC 4.The starboard wall, with the resin fuel gauge console and wiring harness. The yellow arrows mark the (removed) locating pins, presumably intended for the fuel gauge part, which is not included in the kit. The red arrows mark the ejector pin marks which are in the process of being removed, the upper one will be covered by the resin part anyway. The other ejector pin marks, shown with the blue arrows, have been left, the one in the map table will be covered by a scratch-built inner hatch cover, in the open position, and the other is hidden under the rear, spar/shelf assembly.
PIC 5. Removing the port side detail with the aid of a modelling chisel.
PIC 6. A trial fit of the rear bench and shelf showed that the resin interfered with the fit of the kit part. As the resin part here would be hidden by the bench, it was removed, as indicated by the red arrow.
PIC 7. With the resin now cut and trimmed as needed, the part was fitted to the cockpit wall. Unfortunately, the CA adhesive used 'grabbed' the part and, before I could adjust it, the resin had set, at one end, enough to probably cause cracks or worse, if forced.
Having re-checked the alignment with the floor and instrument panel temporarily placed into position, I was satisfied that this slight misalignment didn't cause any fit problems, and would not be noticed, once the remainder of the cockpit fittings were in place.
PIC 8. The resin part, with fuel gauge and lighting switch panel and wiring harness, has been fitted to the starboard wall, and the raised detail on the upper section of the fuel gauge console has been sanded-down, ready to fit the Eduard PE parts. The gap along the bottom edge was glued down when the sanding was completed.

Next step is to open-up the five 'flashed over' camera ports, and sand off the raised detail on the main part of the instrument panel, in order to fit the Eduard coloured PE parts, before painting the base colour on the cockpit walls and fittings.
Back soon with another up-date, in between the NF.XII and FB.VI builds, when the night shift comes on at the Miniature De Havilland (Macclesfield) production facility ...........

Mosquito PR.IX build 015.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 016.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 020.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 022.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 024.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 029.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 030.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 031.JPG

Well, I still have the re-furb to do, and I have another Tamiya FB.VI to build (as Bob Kirkpatrick's 21 Sqn machine),and a Tamiya B.IV to do as the aircraft in which Ted Sismore was Navigator, on the Berlin raid which interrupted speeches by Goering and Goebells, and then there's the 1/32nd scale conversion from B.IV to FB.VI, which I started some time ago (again, Bob's aircraft).
Oh, and I'm sort of tempted to get either the Tamiya 1/32nd scale FB.VI, or the Airfix 1/24th scale FB.VI, but it's a lot of dosh to pay for something where I probably wouldn't have all the detail such as gun bays and engines displayed, and the space limitation is a problem too.
I had thought about getting another Mk.XVI kit, to do as the B.XVI this time, as there's a half price offer going at a place at the moment, and maybe get a night fighter version too, but, I did say "No More Kits", and as I have around 100 aircraft kits in the stash, mostly for multi-aircraft 'collection' builds, plus about another 15 or 20 kits for 1/48th scale vehicles and figures, intended for dioramas, I really shouldn't be thinking off getting more Mossies - it is going to be a struggle getting even half of the stash built before I'm either too old and knackered to build, or I pop me clogs !

Anyway, back to the build, briefly, and the latest small bit of work completed.

PICS 1 and 2 Show the aft camera ports as they are in the kit, (they're 'flashed over', as the original kit had the option to build either the PR or the bomber version), and the ports after opening up the holes. These need to be checked for shape and fit, with the kit glazing, as the transparent parts have to be fitted before joining the fuselage halves. The bomb bay doors also have a camera port in the front end of each door, which again need to be opened and checked. I might fit one of the cameras from the Tamiya B.IV kit into the oblique camera port, although I doubt much of the lens will be seen through the 'window'.
PIC 3. The 'new' instrument panel has some rather nice detail, which needs to be filed off and sanded smooth on the main panel and engine instrument panel, in order to fit the Eduard coloured PE panels. Strangely, as with the much earlier FB.VI kit, rudder pedals are not provided, which, given the date of first release (2003), and the level of detail elsewhere in this kit, the design of some of which would seem to be more than a little influenced by the Tamiya kits, is a bit of a let down. However, as the pedals are even more 'masked' in this kit, than in the FB.VI, some roughly 'scratched' representations will suffice.
The 'new' floor, which fits onto the original rear cockpit section from the FB.VI kit, has some nice, and accurate detail, and only needs a couple of small scratch-built additions to suit the PR version, as does the nose compartment.

Thanks again to all those who hve 'looked in' and commented, and I hope to post another up-date some time tomorrow - if I can remember which thread and which model is which !!!

Mosquito PR.IX build 012.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 013.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 019.JPG

Thank Wojtek !
I've just noticed, looking at the pic of the cockpit floor - it has the raised 'post' with a notch in the top, to accept the trim wheel and gear chain - a direct copy of the Tamiya design - but, as with the fuel gauges console, there are no parts provided for the trim wheel !
I'm beginning to think that cost-cutting, or other compromises, were made before the kit was released, as this would be about the time when Airfix were going through another period of upheaval, but at the same time, had a number of new kits announced, released, or about to be released.
That could also, possibly, explain the use of the earlier kit parts, without excluding most of the major parts !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back