<-- 1/48 Mosquito PR.IX -Twin Engined Aircraft WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy. I'm sure I'll get it sorted one way or another, but it's frustrating not being able to identify the exact problem.
I'm hoping it's not the compressor, an it certainly points to the airbrush, probably gummed up still by the Xtracolor.
Anyway, the second coat, using just the so-called 'Azure' turned out fairly well, and I was able to do a bit of shading on the upper wing root areas, which were often more weathered and stained than the rest of the aircraft, due to ground crew using the area when re-fueling etc.
I'll let this dry for at least 24 hours before doing the gloss coat, as it was sprayed fairly thinly, with a high thinners ratio, so rather 'sticky' at the moment. As for the gloss coat, I'll probably apply that by brush.
The pics show the state of play to date, although the lighting has 'killed' some of the colour tone.

Mosquito PR.IX build 300.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 302.JPG

Looks good. I had a finicky session with my Beaufighter preshading as well. Intermittent paint spray/stoppages and spidering. I think it's very much a function of pressure/mix ratio and I must ave been outside the operating envelope this time around, probably thinning the paint more than usual.

Thanks Andy and Geo.
Having a rest from modelling tonight - need to let my eyes and wrists recover !

Now that the paint has dried enough to handle the model, I've found a couple of small areas that could do with a bit of a 'blow over', where the paint went on rather thinly. As the new airbrush has just arrived, I'll use that later and, with luck, establish if the problem I was having was with the 'brush, or the compressor.
I did some tests earlier today, and the compressor seems to be working as it should be, so I think the problem is with the airbrush, which was working fine before attempting to spray the Xtracolor paint.
Back soon .............

Thanks very much Glenn.
I'm aiming to do the spraying this evening some time. Got free time now, but the light is fading, and it'll be easier to see what I'm doing under artificial light, rather than a mix of weak daylight and lamps !
Might have some pics later.

Thanks Wojtek and John - but that 'grey' is actually a blue- grey, PRU Blue, which didn't reproduce well in the pics.
I'm happy to report that the 'blow over' worked well, and the previous problems were obviously with the airbrush.
The new 'brush definitely highlighted the problem, which I can only surmise was caused by the 'gunge' accumulated in the original airbrush, from the mis-match of thinner and Xtracolor paint - a big cleaning and service job now needed on that airbrush !
Going to do some more 'wear and tear', albeit lightly, then very slightly emphasise the control surfaces joints and some panels and hatches, before the gloss coat.
Pics when the basic work has been done.

It's another from 'Everything Airbrush', one of their 'AB' range, made for them in the UK, and what Iwata and others copied - but at a fraction of the price.
I've had at least three from them (two of which I still use for basic stuff), and they could last for years (I normally look to replace after around 2 years), but, when they need major servicing, for example, needle, jet, seals etc, it's actually more cost effective to buy a new one, than buy the spare parts !
Over the years, allowing for having to replace or repair, the financial outlay has still been under 50% of the cost of buying an over-priced 'brush from other manufacturers, and performance, if maintained and cleaned, is every bit as good.
Hobby airbrushes are rather like anything to do with weddings -- Oh, look, this costs £5, but it's for a wedding, so we'll charge £500, and the poor schmucks won't know any different !!

Thanks Hugh. It seems to be turning out reasonably - not perfect, by any means, but good enough for the cabinet.
Not a lot to show just yet - got the control surfaces and some panel lines lightly emphasised, and the first gloss clear coat done. It needs at least another two coats I think, in order to achieve a good, gloss surface for the decals, which I hope to get done some time tomorrow.
Pics when there's something to show,

I think I'm having 'flash backs' to that Buccaneer and Tornado I did a while back, where everything seemed to gang-up on me, to cause delays.
The Mossie has had three coats of Humbrol Clear Gloss acrylic so far, applied with a soft paint brush, which means it should be as smooth and shiny as an ice rink by now.
However, the plastic surface on the 'new' parts has a textured, sort of 'pebbled' finish which, even after primer and two coats of paint, is still 'showing' through, mainly on the wings. The clear gloss seems to be being absorbed by the texture of the surface, and it's going to need another two coats at least to attain a smooth, glossy surface, as, at the moment, it's rather 'patchy'.
Although Humbrol suggest waiting 30 minutes between coats, from experience I've found that it really needs around 3 to 6 hours, in order to prevent clouding, or 'pooling'.
I was hoping to move on to the decal stage tonight, and then get this one wrapped up, ready for the matt clear coat, along with the NF.XII, but that isn't gong to happen.
I'll leave it for another few hours, then give it another brushed coat, followed by a final, airbrushed coat when it's dry.
Meanwhile, it's back to the FB.VI, and try to get that to the same stage. At least it means I can hopefully do the matt clear coat on all three Mossies at the same time.
The pics below show how it looks at the moment, with the second pic showing that textured surface on the wing inner section.
Mixed lighting has again given more of a grey cast, but it is actually PRU Blue.

Mosquito PR.IX build 303.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 304.JPG

Looking good my friend. However souldn't be the PRU Blue a little bit more bluish?

Thanks my friend.
The colour is actually more blue - the pics were taken under a mix of Tungsten and incandescent lamps, hence the 'neutral' colour cast.
When I come to do the 'Finished' pics, I'll either have to have good daylight, or a different lighting set up.

I've had one of those AB airbrushes for years Terry. It's now my general purpose workhorse but is still doing an awesome job after more than maybe 5 years.

That texture looks nasty. I would just focus on the areas where decals will go with some additional varnish and not worry about the rest. Then rely on copious amounts of MicroSol. Otherwise sand back and start again...:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back