1/48 Old Tool Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kudos for trying that Oh-men. I don't think I'd have the courage to do that.

Amazing model Wojtek and a good reference.

That formidable photos and timely referral Wojtec. :shock::idea::!:

Comes the best with your bird Ohm-men !! :thumbup:

Saludos amigos

Luis Carlos

Since painting went pretty good on the Ki-67, the "George" got a bit on the back burner.
THough next week I'll have some more time on my hands to get this build up and running again.
Since I also have the Tamiya early George, Wojtek's fantastic reference will be used on that one.

Since most interiour stuff on the N1K2 is pretty much done, I guess building can proceed at quick pace.
Again this will remain a bit of "test" model, so I decided not to redo the somewhat faulty pannel structure. We'll just have to see how it looks under a coat of paint ;)

I started further work on the N1K2 after it being neglected due to the finishing of the Sanger Ki-67.
I debated to alter/sand the panneling I did, after my initial mistake with it, but I decided to leave things as they are and get on with the build. I'm building it together with the Tamiya Bufallo for Group Build No. 25.

So, here is where the model stands now. I polished the surface with some 3M car polish to get a smooth surface for the Matt Aluminum paint.
My goal is to try out the salt/hairspray technique and te get some natural aluminum undersurfaces.
DSCF2939.JPG

And a close up of the pit. I used kit parts only, just some careful painting to bring out some of the kits nice details.
Gun sight is not installed up to this point.
DSCF2940.JPG

The kit went together rather good. There were some gaps at the wing roots. These were filled using Vallejo's acrylic putty and sanded/polished smooth. The nice thing about this putty is that it is liquid (like thick paint) and there is a fine nozzle at the tube to allow you to spread the putty really thin.

And after a layer of polishble Matt Aluminum of the Humbrol range. I'm glad all the added rivetting is still visible as well as the rescribed pannel lines. Polishing the kit prior to painting it seams to have helped to get a smooth layer of paint on. I did not use any primer. I was a bit afraid I might loose to much of the fine detail of the rivets. I laid on three thin layers of the Aluminum paint. We'll have to see how it turns out once the surface is polished...
DSCF2941.JPG

Thanks! I made some more progress. Though I took no pics this time as I had a more limited time frame.
But I put on the green top surface over the salt technique. (A first for me, as I never tried it before)
I made a mix of a few Humbrol and Revell colours to achieve the "Kawanishi" green. This was sprayed over the matt aluminum.
The salt worked great for the larger paint chips, but it's easy to get carried away with it and overdo it. (I hope I didn't already...)
Once the salt was removed and the underlaying aluminum paint started to show, I took a cocktailstick and carefully scratched some pannels to achive some minor chipping. Once this was done, I left the green to dry.
Next day, I painted the Hinomaru's. Used the same technique as on the Ki-67, with masks. Again the white bordered fuselage Hinomaru proved quiet a challenge. But after some touch ups, I was happy with the result. I also added the Yellow indentification wingroot markings.

Now some pics of where this build stands now;

DSCF2953.JPG

DSCF2954.JPG

DSCF2955.JPG

DSCF2956.JPG

DSCF2957.JPG

Last edited:
:)

I made up my mind on the aircraft I want to do. I found this image online. It's from a Yellowhammer decal sheet.
Since I don't want to do one of the leaders planes that are included witht this kit, I settled for the one on the bottom of the Yellowhammer instructions. I don't have this partucular sheet, but with an x-acto blade and a ruler, I can cut up the aircraft numbers of the Hasegawa sheet and make this particular code. The Fuselage "02" on the Hinomaru will be hand painted (as was on the original) these were used for training purposes, but might have been used operationally as well seams some were overpainted, others didn't, depending on the source). Anyway it looks nice imho and fits the paintjob I did so far.
yh48030a.jpg

It looks great this chipping, I also had my first experience with the technique of salt with my Nakjima (flying boat) :oops:, very good idea to use a toothpick to the panels. :idea:
Still pending the development of your bird.

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back