<-- **** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Hill's Angels - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I'll be taking a two week break from modelling... gonna spend the holidays in Hawaii where I grew up. I'll probably put up a few short updates before I leave on Thursday but the full camo paint will happen when I get back.

A few details that I worked on the past couple of days. The props have been completed.
IMG_3078_zpsmvm11bgx.jpg

IMG_3079_zpsblh9qeqe.jpg

The brass gun barrels from Master are little gems. Multi-part construction!
IMG_3080_zpsdqpy6o40.jpg

The barrels were put together using CA glue.
IMG_3083_zpsoerw4jsz.jpg

I couldn't resist fitting them into the gun troughs. Simply gorgeous looking. Almost hate to put any paint on them.
IMG_3082_zpsrpkpcgrk.jpg

Nice work John, and the Master guns are great - I've o a couple of sets in 1/48th and 1/32nd scale, very impressive.
One point regarding the props - the Curtis Electric logos should be positioned so that the vertical blade in the prop on the logo is pointing to the tip of the real propellor, with the wording 'right reading' if viewed, from the front, with the real prop blade vertical to the ground, tip down.
All small point, but very often portrayed wrongly on models, with virtually all prop manufacturer's logos.

I guess the instructions are incorrect...
IMG_20161211_0001_zpsxva4puru.jpg

The lettering is also buggered. If you look closely via magnifying glass, the word "CURTISS" is reversed as if looking in a mirror. The other words, "ELECTRIC" AND "PROPELLERS", read correctly.

And I should explain... I picked up the Superscale 48-677 decal sheet on the cheap to use some of the stencils.

Yep, the instructions definitely got it wrong !
As Geo noted, the props were quite often devoid of logos, either by wear, or not being there in the first place (probably by over-painting).
As for wrong wording, I've just put some Tamiya stencil decals on the Mosquito NF.XII, which mark the control lock positions, and should read "External Control Locking".
Tamiya have the spacing and number of characters correct, but the actual wording is gobbledegook, and looks like a cross between Pidgin Japanese, Greek and Russian, with some letters reversed, and none of it making sense - in any language !!

A quick tip on how to rectify the prop logos - give them a thin wash of black, which will almost, but not quite, obliterate them, and hide the fact that they're upside down, whilst at the same time making them look like worn or faded, washed-out logos.
I accidentally got some logos wrong on a model, and did the wash to try to improve it, and it worked very well indeed,

Just caught up on this build. Wonderful job John. That cockpit looks fantastic! A P-38 was high on my list of possibilities for this build, I just couldn't decide which to build as I have several in the stash, both Academy and Hasegawa.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I returned from Hawaii last Tuesday. I thought I'd have these extra days of vacation to make some significant progress on the P-38 but instead I got clobbered by a nasty flu and spent the past five days in bed. Fever broke yesterday so I feel a lot better... enough to check in to work tomorrow.

Hawaii was very nice. Much cooler than it normally is at this time of year.

JTK_1887r_zpspd7wniqm.jpg

JTK_1812_zpsd8c1nr7b.jpg

JTK_1828_zps8gureysw.jpg

I went golfing with my dad at his club (Mid Pacific Country Club). We happened to see this bloke ahead of us. Any guesses to who this might be?
IMG_3093r_zpsxgw7iois.jpg

Since I felt better today, I wobbled onto the work bench and tried to get some preshading done. I noticed some seams needing a bit more work so I stopped to glop on some Mr Surfacer onto some small areas.
IMG_3103_zpswhymeec5.jpg

IMG_3104_zpsf6ctvbti.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back