<-- **** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Lightning - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One quick picture, more progress. Some touch ups still to go, but she is in the home stretch! The sprues below her are me starting the SBD!

P2130007.JPG

One quick question, should I seal the aircraft with a clear coat before and after decal application? Or just after? I also plan on a light wash to age and tone down the bright aluminum color. Expecting to do the wash before the final sealant coat.

I gloss, decal and gloss again that way the entire surface including the decals have the same finish when applying the flat coat.
Sometimes the decals will leave a totally different sheen if a uniform coat of gloss is not applied.

It's debatable with a silver finish in my opinion. A gloss coat could change the appearance of the finish and if you like it now, there is a small risk that you may like it less after you clear coat it.

When using Alclad paints, I have not gloss coated prior to decal application as the metal finish is smooth enough to apply the decals directly. To reduce the gloss of the decals, I have sprayed a matte coat onto just the decals.

This model was done by applying the decals straight over the Alclad:

15091317.jpg

Last edited:
The P-38 looks great with the silver finish! I agree with Andy about the metal finishes, especially Alclad.

Good to know, I think I am going to prep the areas the decals go on with MicroSet, apply the decals, then apply MicroSol over them. After they dry I may clear coat the model depending on how the wash goes. I kind of like the finish I have now as you both mentioned.

I don't know what effect a clear coat would have on an acrylic metal finish, but I agree with Andy regarding enamel NMF - the clear coat can alter the appearance, emphasising the 'grain' of the metallic particles in the paint.
I do the same as Andy - apply the decals onto the metal finish, then seal them with the appropriate clear coat (gloss, semi-matt etc), just over the decals only.

I got a chance to try my Bondic UV stick for making light lenses! I drilled out the recognition lights using a pin vise and then placed some of the Tamiya Green, Yellow and Red in the bottom of the drilled out areas. Then after letting the paint dry I dropped a small bead of the Bondic glue and hit it with the UV light. I think they came out rather well. The first two pictures show the result.

The last two pictures are the majority of the decals applied. Per the advice received here I just clear coated, lightly, the areas the decals would be applied to. After that dried, I applied MicroSet, then the decal, blotted dry and then applied MicroSol. So far they are laying down nicely!

P2150017.JPG

P2150018.JPG

P2150020.JPG

P2150019.JPG

The lights turned out very nice Robert. Can you tell us a bit more about the Bondic UV stick? How does it work and what advantages does it have over other adhesives?

It is an adhesive, but in this application I use the adhesive to form a dome that dries ultra clear and rock hard and simulates a light cover. It can be shaped to be flat or rounded or even concave and when you hit it with the UV light it hardens in seconds. I believe all the UV activated adhesives are similar. I saw a YouTube video on it and have wanted to try it.

I used just literally drops of the color because the adhesive acts as a magnifier and makes the color look larger and more intense than it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back