<-- **** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Lightning - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great progress Robert and I'm glad that you are feeling better. That Vallejo metal looks like it sprays on really well.

Thanks guys! The newer Vallejo metals do spray well for me. And I was truly amazed at the difference a gloss black undercoat made to their appearance. Last night I continued working on the Vac canopy I bought. I think rather than paint the interior, I am going to put down a flat black coat first that will be visible from the inside and then overlay that with the aluminum outer color. Don't think my skills are quite up to masking the interior yet.

I forgot how much I dislike working with Yellow. At least for Vallejo and Model Master and Tamiya paints. It goes on, but it puddles easily and takes a lot of coats. In case you have not figured it out I am painting prop tips. Also have the guns mounted and the nose cone on. However the nose cone and the two side panels are going to leave nasty seams based on my dry fitting. Sigh... back to seam filling and sanding.

Weights are in, and she is no longer a tail sitter. I used odd shaped lead fishing weights, one in each engine nacelle and one in the nose. Once I attach the nose gear she should sit on her own legs finally!

Camera battery died, so will upload pictures in the morning. I tried my hand at riveting with the Rivet-R tool and love the results! I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to keep a straight line. I have the Trumpeter tool as well but it is not as easy to keep straight at least for me. I definitely recommend the Rivet R tools.

Final steps to close things up, one last coat of primer tomorrow after I get the seams filled. Then I should be able to add last minute rivets here and there where I sanded away the detail, then by Sunday I should be able to begin final coats of paint. This is a bare aluminum scheme with a few anti glare olive drab sections on the inboard side of the nacelles and in front of the cockpit. Those will be last probably.

Still working on the canopy which is very fiddly because it is vacuum-form so it bends alarmingly when I am working with it. Have been reinforcing areas of it with white tack which helps.

Added some pictures. You can see the lead weight in the nose on one shot. And the other nose shot shows the seam I will be doing battle with today. There are two other shots that show the completed seam work on the cowl filling I have completed.
P1270030.JPG

Nasty Seam!

P1270032.JPG

Lead weight, I was rather pleased with the perfect fit!

P1270026.JPG

Cowl seams done!

P1270027.JPG

Ready for some primer.

Thanks guys, first round of filling on the nose gaps done, and in the process of sanding I kept uncovering air bubbles I had left. Must not have smoothed it all the way down. Working on coat 2 now. And since I sanded it mostly off I switched to the Milliput Standard. Have to say it does go on easier than the other stuff. Really worked it while mixing hoping I got rid of the air bubbles this time.

Narrowing in to the finish line. Intakes on, radio antennas on the rear tail plane, nose gear partially in. Final gaps pretty well done. Going to be doing some re-riveting and scribing to replace some lost detail. Still working on the canopy. Then the last big hurdle other than paint will be fitting the gear bay doors.

Also re-primed the props. White next, then yellow, then masking then black!

P2010035.JPG

P2010037.JPG

Yep... Looking very nice. :thumbright:

But these wheel bays just beg the interiors, IMHO. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back