<-- **** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Hill's Angels - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like a beauty to me John. If you want to crank up the weathering on the bottom get your oils out again for some streaking and staining - I find that's the most effective method for undersides.

Thanks for the tip. I still have a fear factor when attempting oil filtering on light backgrounds.

Thanks for the tip. I still have a fear factor when attempting oil filtering on light backgrounds.

Not so much oil filtering as using oils to create shadows, stains and streaks. I don't do oil filtering on undersides either because they are...err..undersides...and not subject to the same fading as the top which is exposed to sun, rain, etc (your fading on the top is beautiful btw!). Weathering down below tends to be more of the grime and streak variety for which I find oils the only way to go. I use the airbrush for some components but mainly oils to finish it. I'm afraid I don't have very many good photos to illustrate what I mean but here's one I have to hand of one of my 109s. The job here is only partially complete and the photograph not very good but perhaps you can see where it is going...

IMG_1760 web.jpg

Thank you! That is a great example of where I want to head when it comes to weathering the underside. Beautiful work. May I ask what kit that is? The bits of Tamiya tape are interesting to me. Was it part of your weathering process?

Thank you! That is a great example of where I want to head when it comes to weathering the underside. Beautiful work. May I ask what kit that is? The bits of Tamiya tape are interesting to me. Was it part of your weathering process?

The kit is Eduard's 109G-6 - can't you tell by the gigantic wings?! :mrgreen::thumbleft:

No, the tape was not part of this weathering process. I'm just a tight-@rse and recycle tape and sometimes stick it on my cutting mat so it's handy when I need it!

The kit is Eduard's 109G-6 - can't you tell by the gigantic wings?! :mrgreen::thumbleft:

No, the tape was not part of this weathering process. I'm just a tight-@rse and recycle tape and sometimes stick it on my cutting mat so it's handy when I need it!

LOL... I thought I had spied a mysterious technique! Actually, I've seen builds where they forgo panel washes and use dry pastels constrained my lengths of tape on either side of the recessed line so that's where I got my suspicions from. That's for the info!

Hill's Angels is complete!
JTK_2036_zpsi5lwugq4.jpg

Go to the FINISHED post to see the final pics.

Hill's Angels is complete!
View attachment 463339

Go to the FINISHED post to see the final pics.
John,
I know it's been a while since this build, and not sure if anybody brought it up, but the props are reversed on this P-38. The way they're on now would have the props turning inboard from the top instead of outboard. Otherwise, a most brilliant build. I like your weathering techniques so much that I'm planning on using them to weather a 1/6 scale, (100" wingspan), r/c model of a P-38J I'll be building in the near future. Come to think of it, I like the "Hill's Angels" scheme too, might go with it on my giant scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back