1/48 P-40 - Which kit? Which airbrush? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex .

Airman 1st Class
Hey :)

I'm planning on building my first ever 1/48 kit in the new year. I want to make this as best as I can, and with the amount of work and training I have in 2014 I won't be rushing myself along with this one. I will be looking at investing in an airbrush for this, obviously practicing beforehand to save making a mess of it.

Having only built Airfix and Revell 1/72 kits :oops: I'd be appreciate any recommendations of a decent kit for a 1/48 P-40.

What would be the best airbrush to look at for a beginner, with an affordable price tag? Just something I can get to grips with and is easy to maintain...

Thanks,

Alex

Can't comment on the P-40 kit Alex, as I don't know enough about the various kits. But for an airbrush, you'll find a simple, double action, gravity fed version easier to use, and also it'll allow you to cover a relatively wide area and, with practice, down to very narrow lines of at least 1mm.
I've had three, inexpensive 'brushes from the same company, which have all worked very well indeed. They should last at least three years before needing any major servicing, when, to be honest, it's as cheap to buy another one.
I've been using a small, very simple compressor for the last six years, again without problems, although I may replace it soon.
I got my stuff from the company below, who's prices are low, their service excellent, and the 'brushes are their own manufacture, now back under the 'Aerograph' name. Look under their own 'AB' range on the web site.
The Spraygun Company Ltd

The Hasegawa is the best kit but it has a couple of challenging bits to get right. It's also available in all models except the F/L version.

Another recommendation is the Mauve kit if you can find one, or in it's Eduard incarnation.

The AMT version is also out there and repackaged by various companies and is probably the most available and is less expensive.

Cheers

Peter

I've built two P-40's. This one below I remember having a devil of a time with fits.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/9-...-40e-196th-iap-leningradsky-vvs-gb-28209.html

My current build is the Hasegawa, and Andy is building the same kit for GB#20 and the fits are much nicer. However, there are some things to fill to make a correct N version. Check out each build.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/gb...raaf-aircraft-foreign-service-wwii-38929.html
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/gb...-iii-aircraft-foreign-service-wwii-39290.html

***Oh and Glenn is building an Academy P-40 for GB320 as well and seems to be going together real well.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/gb...-avg-aircraft-foreign-service-wwii-39114.html

Hope this helps.
Bill

Last edited:
I'm currently refurbishing an ERTL/AMT P-40N which wasn't too bad with the exception of the fit of the exhaust panels, reminiscent of the Hobbycraft kits(same molds?). Wheel wells are a little sparse, missing part of the wall along the fuselage.

Geo

Alex, being on the other side of the pond, it is hard for me to advise on airbrushes but I use Testors workhorse Aztek and their compressor. Been using it for several years and it has never given me a bit of trouble. It is 2-stage and the replaceable tips allow you to change patterns at any time

Attachments

• TESNOZZLESSM.jpg
    TESNOZZLESSM.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DCP_1433.JPG
    DCP_1433.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DCP_1435.JPG
    DCP_1435.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 157
I asked to make use of the forum, it's why I joined. Just sayin.

I must admit there is a wealth of information on this forum............ But....... you'll get other opinions and photos of the kit and it's build underway. I Always look there first. It won't offend anyone.

Hey, Alex,
I can not comment on any P-40s, but I can give some insight to airbrushes. I have 4 Paasches that I LOVE. 3 are dbl action with one being a gravity fed (the Talon). The other 2 are versions of the VL line that I find to be excellent airbrushes. The millenium is a GREAT airbrush (the latest twist on the VL line. I have one single action that I like (Paasche H series) that I use for various clear coats. All in all, I can highly recommend Paasches.
Welcome aboard. The guys are wonderful and funny as hell at times too. They are all more than willing to help out and answer questions on just bout modelling related issue.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back