1/48 P-40 - Which kit? Which airbrush?

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by Alex ., Dec 30, 2013.

1. Alex .

Alex . Active Member

University Student
    West Midlands, UK / Gwynedd, Land of Dragons
    Hey :)

I'm planning on building my first ever 1/48 kit in the new year. I want to make this as best as I can, and with the amount of work and training I have in 2014 I won't be rushing myself along with this one. I will be looking at investing in an airbrush for this, obviously practicing beforehand to save making a mess of it.

Having only built Airfix and Revell 1/72 kits :oops: I'd be appreciate any recommendations of a decent kit for a 1/48 P-40.

What would be the best airbrush to look at for a beginner, with an affordable price tag? Just something I can get to grips with and is easy to maintain...

Thanks,

Alex

2. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Can't comment on the P-40 kit Alex, as I don't know enough about the various kits. But for an airbrush, you'll find a simple, double action, gravity fed version easier to use, and also it'll allow you to cover a relatively wide area and, with practice, down to very narrow lines of at least 1mm.
    I've had three, inexpensive 'brushes from the same company, which have all worked very well indeed. They should last at least three years before needing any major servicing, when, to be honest, it's as cheap to buy another one.
    I've been using a small, very simple compressor for the last six years, again without problems, although I may replace it soon.
    I got my stuff from the company below, who's prices are low, their service excellent, and the 'brushes are their own manufacture, now back under the 'Aerograph' name. Look under their own 'AB' range on the web site.
    The Spraygun Company Ltd

3. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

I've built two Hasegawa P-40s and found them to be good kits. No comment on the airbrush as I went with a pricey Iwata HP-C.

4. ozhawk40

ozhawk40 Active Member

I have one only until I win Lotto!
    The Hasegawa is the best kit but it has a couple of challenging bits to get right. It's also available in all models except the F/L version.

Another recommendation is the Mauve kit if you can find one, or in it's Eduard incarnation.

The AMT version is also out there and repackaged by various companies and is probably the most available and is less expensive.

Cheers

Peter

5. Wayne Little

Wayne Little Well-Known Member

I'll add a vote for the Hasegawa kits...the Mauve is not bad either, got a couple of those too...

6. N4521U

N4521U Well-Known Member

reduced to all around slobbing
    #6 N4521U, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    I've built two P-40's. This one below I remember having a devil of a time with fits.
    http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/9-...-40e-196th-iap-leningradsky-vvs-gb-28209.html

My current build is the Hasegawa, and Andy is building the same kit for GB#20 and the fits are much nicer. However, there are some things to fill to make a correct N version. Check out each build.
    http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/gb...raaf-aircraft-foreign-service-wwii-38929.html
    http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/gb...-iii-aircraft-foreign-service-wwii-39290.html

***Oh and Glenn is building an Academy P-40 for GB320 as well and seems to be going together real well.
    http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/gb...-avg-aircraft-foreign-service-wwii-39114.html

Hope this helps.
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  7. fubar57

fubar57 Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    I'm currently refurbishing an ERTL/AMT P-40N which wasn't too bad with the exception of the fit of the exhaust panels, reminiscent of the Hobbycraft kits(same molds?). Wheel wells are a little sparse, missing part of the wall along the fuselage.

Geo

8. Alex .

Alex . Active Member

University Student
    Gentlemen, thank you for the advice!

Bill, I appreciate the links, I'll take a look through those, cheers! :)

9. N4521U

N4521U Well-Known Member

And then look on the web for "reviews" of P-40's. First search for all the kits, then reviews to make an educated choice.
    Just sayin.

10. Alex .

Alex . Active Member

University Student
    I asked to make use of the forum, it's why I joined. Just sayin.

11. mikewint

mikewint Well-Known Member

Retired and living on the dole
    Alex, being on the other side of the pond, it is hard for me to advise on airbrushes but I use Testors workhorse Aztek and their compressor. Been using it for several years and it has never given me a bit of trouble. It is 2-stage and the replaceable tips allow you to change patterns at any time

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. N4521U

N4521U Well-Known Member

I must admit there is a wealth of information on this forum............ But....... you'll get other opinions and photos of the kit and it's build underway. I Always look there first. It won't offend anyone.

13. dneid

dneid Active Member

Program/Project Mgr
    Hey, Alex,
    I can not comment on any P-40s, but I can give some insight to airbrushes. I have 4 Paasches that I LOVE. 3 are dbl action with one being a gravity fed (the Talon). The other 2 are versions of the VL line that I find to be excellent airbrushes. The millenium is a GREAT airbrush (the latest twist on the VL line. I have one single action that I like (Paasche H series) that I use for various clear coats. All in all, I can highly recommend Paasches.
    Welcome aboard. The guys are wonderful and funny as hell at times too. They are all more than willing to help out and answer questions on just bout modelling related issue.
    Dale

14. Wildcat

Wildcat Well-Known Member

Workin' for the man....