1/48 Republic P-47D 368th FG 395th FS 'Miss Second Front'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Guys

More progress to report.

In preparation for the paint, I've been studying the available pictures and the decal manufacturers instructions and profile for this bird. Seems there are a couple of discrepancies that need to be resolved.:rolleyes:

Pic 1
The profile from the decal manufacturer. Theres a couple of things I am going to change. As previously mentioned, at the time the "Life" photos were taken this P-47 was coded A7-X for the 395th FS. It later served with the 396th to receive the codes as per the decals "C2". The front segment of the under wing pylons is painted flat black as a background to make the "x" clearer. You can see this on the Life photos on page 1. And thirdly the profile depicts the D-Day stripes rising too high on the fuselage side. The D-Day stripes on Miss Second Front seem a little unusual in that they are abbreviated to the top of the lower panel lines, not to the 'Stars n Bars'.

Pic 2
Here's a pic of the D-Day stripes and it's highlighted to show you what I mean.

Pic 3
Here's the panel lines on the fuselage side I referring to. With that cleared up, it's on to masking up.

Pic 4
In order to help with the D-Day stripes I referred to this diagram which appeared in the book "The Mighty Eighth - Warpaint and Heraldry" by Roger Freeman. It has all the dimensions for the D-Day stripes and the recognition bands employed on p-47s at the time.

Pic 5
Okay, you know the drill. 1 hour masking for 5min worth of spraying, but hey, I'm sure it will be worth it!

Pic 6
Came out just fine, I think. I'm going to some back masking to complete the white stripes and allow room for the codes, which I'll be doing soon.

Pic 7
The spinner was very tricky to sort out. Basically it's black with a white spiral stripe. I used very thin cut Tamiya tape and then sprayed the black.

Pic 8
This didn't come out perfect, but in my defense, the original was all wavy as well so in that aspect it looks the part. 8)

Well that's for another update. Cheers for now.

Attachments

• dday stripes 001 resized.jpg
    dday stripes 001 resized.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 84
  • dday stripes 002 resized.jpg
    dday stripes 002 resized.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 129
  • dday stripes 003 resized.jpg
    dday stripes 003 resized.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 141
  • dday stripes 005 resized.jpg
    dday stripes 005 resized.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • dday stripes 004 resized.jpg
    dday stripes 004 resized.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 99
  • spinner 002 resized.jpg
    spinner 002 resized.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 103
  • spinner 001 resized.jpg
    spinner 001 resized.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 87
  • Markings Info.jpg
    Markings Info.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 161
Very nice work Peter. Here's a couple of the shots from Duxford last Friday, the others will be in my 'Duxford' thread, in Aviation Pictures, very soon.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 119.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 119.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Duxford  May 2011 120.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 120.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 111
I was about to ask the guy, when he had to go off somewhere. I'd guess, being Duxford-based, it will probably be 78th FG, but it could be 361st FG, who were based 'just up the road' at Bottisham.

I was about to ask the guy, when he had to go off somewhere. I'd guess, being Duxford-based, it will probably be 78th FG, but it could be 361st FG, who were based 'just up the road' at Bottisham.

Hmmm. Posted on the WIX forum was this. Must have been taken a few minutes after your left Terry.....could be a red herring tho' :rolleyes:8)

Attachments

• IMG_2480_EGSU_CROPPED.jpg
    IMG_2480_EGSU_CROPPED.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 75
Cheers Guys

Update for today.

Pic 1
I back masked all the invasion stripes in readiness for the neutral gray/ OD finish.

Pic 2
I didn't have any suitable decals for the codes that I wanted so I cut them from Tamiya tape. I photocopied/ printed the correct font and size letters that I wanted and stuck them over the tape. I cut them out with new blade in the scalpel.

Pic 3
After removing the waste from the cutting mat, this was what was left for a look see and placement on the fuselage.

Pic 4
Using photo references of other 395 Squadron P-47's I placed them on the fuselage in hopefully the correct positions. The tape in the middle is a place holder to ensure there enough room for the Star 'n' Bar.

Pic 5
Repeat for the starboard side.

Pic 6
While this has been going on I've been working on completing the prop assembly. Luckily Hasegawa include the correct prop for this P-47, as there were several different types.

Cheers for now 8)

Peter

Attachments

• codes 002 resized.jpg
    codes 002 resized.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 85
  • codes 001 resized.jpg
    codes 001 resized.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 92
  • fuselage 004 resized.jpg
    fuselage 004 resized.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 83
  • props 002 resized.jpg
    props 002 resized.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 105
  • codes 003 resized.jpg
    codes 003 resized.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 83
  • codes 004 resized.jpg
    codes 004 resized.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 93
Thanks Andy - yep they were all straight, so no big challenge there, but I'll breath when it's painted okay. Fingers crossed. Just finished the OD 41 now, so can't wait to see how it turned out. Pics soon.

Cheers

Peter

Excellent work there Peter.
Interesting shot of that file folder showing 4th FG. I've checked the other shots, showing the chap working on the windscreen glazing, and that folder is nowhere in sight, the workbench having a lot of other stuff on it. Looks like it could be the intended paint scheme though.

I made some good progress yesterday, pics attached.

The first step was to do some pre-shading under the neutral gray. I didn't get any pics of this stage, but if you can see how it turned out in the first pic.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Paint NG 002 - resized.jpg
    Paint NG 002 - resized.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Paint OD 001 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 001 - resized.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Paint OD 002 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 002 - resized.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Paint OD 003 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 003 - resized.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Paint OD 005 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 005 - resized.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Paint OD 007 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 007 - resized.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Paint OD 009 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 009 - resized.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Paint OD 010 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 010 - resized.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Paint OD 006 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 006 - resized.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Paint OD 008a - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 008a - resized.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Paint OD 004 - resized.jpg
    Paint OD 004 - resized.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 78
Looking very good indeed Peter, should be a cracker when done. Is that thing sticking out of the front what's known as an airscrew ......... I'm already out the door !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back