1/48 Republic P-47D 368th FG 395th FS 'Miss Second Front'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Hi Guys

Well I usually try and restrict myself to one model on the go at once. It keeps me focused and committed to finishing before opening the lid on another. Ever get to the point where you have 10 on the go and none get finished?:rolleyes:

Anyway I'm breaking my rules for this build, because well, just because I like Jugs. :lol:

A while ago I purchased three 1/48 Razorbacks for $15Aus bucks each, which I thought was pretty good. I know there are better kits in this scale - Tamiya - but for that price I couldn't refuse! So just recently Zots have issued a new decal set, and had one that I thought would be interesting for the first build of the three.

There is also a 'LIFE' colour picture of this aircraft. So here it is. Cheers

Attachments

• P1020160 start 001 resized.jpg
    P1020160 start 001 resized.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 375
  • P1020160 start 005 resized.jpg
    P1020160 start 005 resized.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 324
  • P1020160 start 004 resized.jpg
    P1020160 start 004 resized.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 398
  • 4e0daaffe7b226ac_large resize.jpg
    4e0daaffe7b226ac_large resize.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 399
  • w-395-silva-dombos.jpg
    w-395-silva-dombos.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 452
Actually that kit is every bit as good as the Tamiya offering except for the cockpit. I guess the folks at Hasegawa figured most everyone is dropping resin cockpits into their builds these days so why bother getting too elaborate...

Actually that kit is every bit as good as the Tamiya offering except for the cockpit. I guess the folks at Hasegawa figured most everyone is dropping resin cockpits into their builds these days so why bother getting too elaborate...

I don't know about that, the interior looks at least to be reasonable. I have a Tamiya Bubbletop in the stash, so I might just do a comparo interior wise. The Hasegawa usually cops it for being under-size or "too skinny" for a jug. Imagine that! I've built neither so far, so I've just gone by what other reviewers have stated, and the Tamiya usually comes up trumps. There are also those that find 'serious' faults with the Tamiya....

Still,the Hasegawa P-47 looks like a P-47, and the dry fitting of the parts so far has been great. No problems so far.

Cheers

Peter

I'll be watching Peter!

So long as you don't fixate on the 'art' Glenn. :lol: While you're watching answer me this O' T-bolt guru, can a P-47D-11-RE get updated with wing hard points pylons that were introduced with model change D-15-RE?

The serial on the decal sheet is 275325 which makes it a dash 11 right? The 368th Fighter group web site lists the serial as 276325 which is a dash 15.

P-47 Thunderbolt variations and production

From my understanding this aircraft has to be a dash 15 or later with those under wing pylons.

Another strange thing confusing the serial number is that this site:

P-47 Thunderbolt - Serial 42-7xxxx

lists the serial as 276323 for "Miss Second Front" although the demise of 276323 (called "Sneezy") is recorded/ narrated on the site - "Raining Thunderbolts" on the 8th March 44.

Raining Thunderbolts

This is a can of worms :rolleyes:

Another photo.

(Photo source 368th Fighter Group website)

Attachments

• 368th BG 395FS- crew group Miss Second Front 2.jpg
    368th BG 395FS- crew group Miss Second Front 2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
275325 does fall into the -11-RE block
276325 and 276323 both fall into the -15-RE block

The under-wing pylons became standard with the P-47D-15-RE, but some earlier block D's had them retrofitted although I don't believe this was done on anything earlier than a Block -5 when the bulged keel was added, so any of the 3 serials could be correct for the pictured aircraft.

Sorry it doesn't really narrow the possibilities down for you Peter. Too bad you can't see the tail number in any of those pictures.

275325 does fall into the -11-RE block
276325 and 276323 both fall into the -15-RE block

The under-wing pylons became standard with the P-47D-15-RE, but some earlier block D's had them retrofitted although I don't believe this was done on anything earlier than a Block -5 when the bulged keel was added, so any of the 3 serials could be correct for the pictured aircraft.

Sorry it doesn't really narrow the possibilities down for you Peter. Too bad you can't see the tail number in any of those pictures.

Well there is a photo taken later, when it swapped squadrons and bellied in. Still may not solve the mystery though....

Interesting photo in it's own right, because it highlights some other differences and shows a Malcolm Hood added.

So is that 42-76325, 42-75325, 42-76329, or 42-76323!

Attachments

• 368th BG 396FS- crash Miss Second Front.jpg
    368th BG 396FS- crash Miss Second Front.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I don't know about that, the interior looks at least to be reasonable. I have a Tamiya Bubbletop in the stash, so I might just do a comparo interior wise. The Hasegawa usually cops it for being under-size or "too skinny" for a jug. Imagine that! I've built neither so far, so I've just gone by what other reviewers have stated, and the Tamiya usually comes up trumps. There are also those that find 'serious' faults with the Tamiya....

Still,the Hasegawa P-47 looks like a P-47, and the dry fitting of the parts so far has been great. No problems so far.

Cheers

Peter

Yeah I'm not a rivet counter myself so if a kit is enjoyable to build I can generally live with small design flaws. But there are a number of rivet counters that have reviewed this kit and given it high marks so I don't think it's a concern. And if you got it for 15 AU dollars that's just a steal, congrats. It retailed as high as $50 US when it was first issued. Looking forward to seeing you build it! John.

Well there is a photo taken later, when it swapped squadrons and bellied in. Still may not solve the mystery though....

Interesting photo in it's own right, because it highlights some other differences and shows a Malcolm Hood added.

So is that 42-76325, 42-75325, 42-76329, or 42-76323!

It looks like 275323. The second digit sure looks like a 5, and the last digit defiantly is not a 5. It could be a 9, but it looks like a 3 to me. So there's a fourth possibility. Aren't you glad you started looking into this? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 368th%20BG%20396FS-%20crash%20Miss%20Second%20Front.jpg
    368th%20BG%20396FS-%20crash%20Miss%20Second%20Front.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 229
Thanks Glenn

That does actually look like 275323 to me as well. I've put an email into the 368th Fighter Group website to see if can get some clarification on this.

In the meantime while I'm waiting, a search of the LIFE pictures turn up another photo of Miss Second Front. This one is from a slightly different angle and confirms it's 395th FS "Panzer Dusters" codes of A7. The aircraft later went onto to serve with the 396th FS "Thunder Bums" and was coded C2 - X. The decal sheet gives the codes C2, so represents a time when with the 396th. Note there is no artwork - censored? Probably a little risqué for the LIFE readership in 1944 or not there. WW2 Colour - oh joy!

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 368th BG 395FS- parked  2 Life Miss Second Front.jpg
    368th BG 395FS- parked 2 Life Miss Second Front.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 438
It must be censored. All your pictures of it (except the crash ) look like they were taken at he same location and time. The background is identical as is the position of the aircraft. Even the triangle on the wheel is in the same position. The two colored ones must have been retouched, and a very good job of it, you'd never know if it wasn't for the black and white photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back