1/48 Republic P-47D 368th FG 395th FS 'Miss Second Front'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry, couldn't help it. A prize for the first person to correctly state why the name was changed (in the RAF) to 'propellor'. Answers on the back of a £20 note to .....

Sorry, couldn't help it. A prize for the first person to correctly state why the name was changed (in the RAF) to 'propellor'. Answers on the back of a £20 note to .....

It was the 'bloody Yanks' Terry. They took over England, including the language!

Officers of the U.S. Air Forces, ending their first year in Britain, had learned combat lessons from the Royal Air Force. They had also learned a new lingo.
Even the U.S. War Department took cognizance of British flyers' slang, solemnly announcing that "rhubarb" means "a target of opportunity." When a fighter pilot flies low over France, strafing whatever he finds — trains, troops, airdromes —he is "on a rhubarb."
How much R.A.F. slang will seep into the dictionary is a lexicographer's guess, but some of its catchier terms have already been adopted by groundlings. Among thousands of Americans, "browned off" already means fed up. ("Brassed off" means very fed up and "cheesed off" is utterly disgusted.) To crash is to "prang." To take a "dim view" is to look upon skeptically.
Slang-hardened American flyers have been fascinated by "pukka gen," which means honest-to-God authoritative information. "Duff gen" is a wrong steer.
An R.A.F. pilot does not seek things.
He "organizes" a new plane or a beer or a furlough.
Some American terms, usually technical, have found their way into the R.A.F. Thus an airscrew has become a prop (propeller). But U.S. airmen in Britain have taken over British technical terms, too. Most now call an airplane an "aircraft."
Newest U.S. air slang in Britain, where it is always received with enthusiasm and prompt use, is "sweating out." This usually means stewing in one's own juice, as "sweating out" a reprimand from a commanding officer. But it also has less serious meanings. Airmen in England sweat out a chow line (i.e., wait for food) or a routine assignment like a training flight.
Some R.A.F. expressions wander into wondrous double talk. Example: "Can I get a taxi?" asked the American outside the Savoy. "You've had it," said the R.A.F. flyer, i.e., "You haven't got it and you won't get it."
In Cairo, the New York Herald Tribune's correspondent, John ("Tex") O'Reilly, found U.S. soldiers no less infected with the new English language: "When two Americans are having a drink they no longer shout 'Down the hatch!' They raise their glasses and say 'Cheers' in modulated tones. . ... Everybody is a 'type' of some sort: 'good type,' 'bad type' or 'good-bad type' . . . and there are innumerable other classifications: melancholy type, backward type, insistent type. ... A guy becomes a chap, and a fair number of Americans are developing the afternoon-tea habit." Observed Correspondent O'Reilly: "Americans must prepare themselves for a certain postwar shock they are going to get when the troops come home."

Read more: AIR: You've Had It - TIME

Anyway, thanks T and Karl, it's time for another update.

Pic 1
I used the Hasegawa wheels straight out of the box. The hubs are insignia blue, and now have the decals added for the triangles after gloss coat, application and then matt coat. Lastly I gave then a black wash. I'm thinking I'll weather then a bit more to highlight the tread pattern.

Pic 2
Engine Installed. I thought I'd show it off a bit, because you won't see it again once the cowl is on! :lol:

Pic 3
Here you can see I've installed the armour plate and painted the framing DDG. Now ready for the canopy.

Pic 4
Here I've masked the canopy and made the first coat Dull Dark Green.

Pic 5
The canopy framing is black and it's easier to paint that before installation. I've also added a 'Spitfire' type rear view mirror from the spares box. You can see this clearly in the Life photo.

Pic 6
Okay - let's get that sucker on. Fit is very good - no problems. Whew!8)

Pic 7
With the canopy installed it was time to gloss coat the whole aircraft, ready for the decals. This is where I'm at right now.

Cheers for now. :)

Peter

Attachments

• canopy 001 resized.jpg
    canopy 001 resized.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 109
  • engine 004 resized.jpg
    engine 004 resized.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 103
  • canopy 003 resized.jpg
    canopy 003 resized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 115
  • fuselage 011 resized.jpg
    fuselage 011 resized.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 107
  • fuselage 005 resized.jpg
    fuselage 005 resized.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 86
  • fuselage 007 resized.jpg
    fuselage 007 resized.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 104
  • wheels 001 resized.jpg
    wheels 001 resized.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 113
That's looking top hole old chap ! Great work mate.
Another version of the 'airscrew' thing is supposed to have happened before the war, when a requisition was made for a number of airscrews. The terminology got slightly tangled somewhere down the line, and the unit concerned received a number of newly-trained Air Crew reporting to the Guard House, when what was required was a quantity of new propellors to the Engineering Section !

Thank you T, CR and Karl

Only a very small update this time. I started on the decals and it really was decision time on the serial number. The decal sheet from Zotz had the number 42-75325, but after feedback on this thread and a really good scrute of the pic of MSF force landed, I have to concur. It just had to be 42-75323. So after I had a rummage through my decal stash to find something close in size and colour I was able to make the change and add the '3' on the end.

With that taken care of I turned my attention to the nose art - which I stuffed up big time. Got too much silvering after I laid it down and wrecked it trying to fix it up. :mad: Bu@@er is the word!

So, I have to bite the bullet and get another set sent out, which will take a bit of time. So in the meantime I have some unfinished business with a Vb Spitty. :D

I'll be back to this one soon...

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Decals 001 - resized.jpg
    Decals 001 - resized.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 159
Shame about the nose art decals. I often scan 'interesting' decal sheets, so that where possible, a copy can be made onto the relevant inkjet printer decal sheet. Doesn't always work with some colours on clear of course, but they can be a useful back-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back