1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the further encouragement, I really appreciate this ! the kit is more addictive then I imagined at first. I'm glad I made it this far :) Though I think there will be a few setbacks ahead on this build, then again they wont come as a surprise.
I hope to get some work done comming friday. Hopefully I can upload some pics then.

Again, as promissed a small update.
I managed to find some additional info on the interior and clear parts of the Ki-67 on the WWW.
The old Eduard 1/72 etchings instructions will be verry helpfull as it shows good clear drawings of the fuselage!
And thankfully they can be found on Eduards website in PDF format for easy download.
I will have to scratchbuild these items, but at least I know what I'm supose to be making.
Unfortunatly there isn't a lot out there on the Ki-67, aside from the Maru Machanic, but this book would be too costly to buy. So I proceed with what the WWW has to offer.
DSCF2438.JPG

I also got some work done on the rib structure of the Ki-67's fuselage. This turns out to be a lot of work...
But since it will be visible thru the side blisters, tail and turret I felt this has to be done.
One side is almost done and the next is about halfway.
DSCF2439.JPG
DSCF2440.JPG

Next I went thru my spares box and found some old MPM 1/48 Do 217 BMW engine parts, which look pretty close to what the Ki-67 has.
Since no engine parts are included in the Sanger kit, these will have to do.
Though the forced air cooling of Japanese WWII aircraft engines with fans looks very close to what the Germans used on their air cooled aircraft engines.
So, I wonder if they also shared this technical info with eachoter during the war.
DSCF2441.JPG

and I got some work done on the aft fuselages floor. The walkway is of a ribbed design and the wheel well of the tailwheel is also incoperated in this floor.
I used some Alu householdfoil and an Eduard SM-79 brass cockpit floor to simulate this effect and glue this strip onto the plastic card floor I made.
I made a small box to hold the tailwheel. I also wet sanded the engine nacelles, which will require some work.
DSCF2442.JPG

That's all for now. I wished I could have done more, but haste seldom contributes to a good model, so I'm taking it slowly.
I also read the unbeliveble topic on the A6M and the Akagi bridge structure by gbr-22 here and I was gobsmacked by the superb quality of the modeler...
The amounth of detail this man incorperates in his models is just too much for words.
I hope I can learn some of his abilities!

Attachments

• DSCF2438.JPG
    DSCF2438.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • DSCF2438.JPG
    DSCF2438.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I decided to make a few new pilot and co pilot seats.
So far I scaled up the 1/72 Hasegawa seat (which seams to have armour) But it's to sqaure imho. I think Hasegawa just simplyfied these seats for the smaller scale.
I also made a few bucket type seats, which I think are more apropriate/correct, but I'm a kit of stuck now as I can't find a decent photo or drawing of the actual Ki-67 Pilot seats. I'm using the eduard photo etch drawing now, but they show the simplyfied Hasegawa seat.

I asume that there were at least two different types of seats. The early/older bucket type seat and an later armoured bucket type seat. So far just an educated guess on my behalf.

Should anyone have a picture of the actual seat (or a drawing) and willing to post it here, I'd be grateful.
Also any other pictures of the interior (cockpit, turret, nose and tail would be very helpfull) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks, Geo !!!

Here are the new seats I made. The sqaure one is the upscaled Hasegawa seat, the other is my "armoured bucket type" seat.
The older one I posted earlier is in the back. I bought some Evergreen 0.4mm styrene sheet at our Club's modelling show last week-end, which is more to scale then the other one.
DSCF2450.JPG

Here are both seats in the cockpit. I can't help thinking the upscaled Hasegawa one looks too generic and perhaps "un-japanese" (more like an airliner seat) But I still haven't found a picture of a drawing of the original Ki-67 Pilot's seat...
Suggestions are most welcome, btw!
DSCF2451.JPG
DSCF2452.JPG

Last edited:
Very nicely done! I'll provide you with some good stuff shortly! In the meantime check the wheels please. In my box one of them was smaller in diameter than the others!

Thanks for the kind compliments! :)

Also thanks for the tip regarding the wheel diameter. I'll check it asap.
Though I might substitute True Detail G4M Betty wheels for the Ki-67 if I can find some.
I'm also gonna try and find me a Jar of the precission Tamiya glue you use on your builds.
I have to much glue smears from the Revell type of glue I use now.
But since there is quiet a big Scale modelling event held tomorow with loads of vendors, close to where I live, I should have no trouble in finding this glue.

Next i'm gonna try and construct some more interior parts, starting with the Bombardier and W/O seats.
The only thing that bugs me is that there was at least one auxilery seat in the cockpit, but I don't see more seats for the aft gunners.
From what I understand the side gunners had to sit on their knees on cushions to operate their guns (Either the IJA MG 15 version or Browning variant, depending on the type of Mk. of the Ki-67)
Though I can't imagine they had to sit on their knees on take off or landing...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back