1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh I am sure this kit is a bit of a mule, but its the kits that offer a challenge to pull into shape that offer the best challenge sometimes

Indeed, this kit is a mule x 100....
Though, I'm gonna slowly go further.
Here's where I am now. Still not much...but some.
And Panagiotis, you are absomutely right...Though I'm gonna see where this kit takes me...
Though, if you haven't already binned the kit, I'll be happy to take your junk...
DSCF2644.JPG

DSCF2643.JPG

DSCF2646.JPG

Now I know where Hobbycraft mold makers learned their trade. And like Hobbycraft, this one looks like it will be more putty than plastic. I wish you well and will fully understand the pauses in between posts.

Geo

It i\will be a real challenge to see these various bits of ill fitting plastic come together and form a single well made whole model. And im looking forward to it because i will have learnt something of how to tackle a beastie kit like this one.

Ive heard that sanding these ultra thin skinned beasts is a real art in itself......

im thinking that to join the various parts together, there will need to be stiffener card glued to the under side of the join where its not visible. thats way you would get a strong, married up join able to be filled and sanded without falling apart because of structural weakness...thats me thinking aloud, not advising by the way.

Last edited:
It i\will be a real challenge to see these various bits of ill fitting plastic come together and form a single well made whole model. And im looking forward to it because i will have learnt something of how to tackle a beastie kit like this one.

Ive heard that sanding these ultra thin skinned beasts is a real art in itself......

im thinking that to join the various parts together, there will need to be stiffener card glued to the under side of the join where its not visible. thats way you would get a strong, married up join able to be filled and sanded without falling apart because of structural weakness...thats me thinking aloud, not advising by the way.

Thanks for the encouregement and the tips.
I'll cerainly keep this in mind.
I lready started with adding ribs to the interiour of the wings in odred to strengten them. So far this seams to work out nicely.
Anyway, this is the harderst kit I encountered so far. I have build olde MPM vacu's in the past (Do 217 J and K in the 1/48th scale) and even some older polish vacu kits. Compared to this Sanger kit, they were a walk in the park.

I came to the conclusion that this build will not be about accuracy, but about not giving up....

I managed to get a few more things done on this kit. I decided to spent about an hour to 45 minutes on this kit daily.
So far I have the tailplanes and the fin filled, rescibed, sanded and glued. Next will be the other wing and the finishing of the interior.
I guess this will tale another week or so. But once this is done, I hope to start the assembly of the wings, fuselage and tailplanes.
Though I will have to start on the turret as well, as this piece has to be ready as well before joining the fuselage halves.
I bought some extra putty (I think I have about every putty at my disposal known to mankind....And I'll certainly gonna need it!!!)

I found a solution for the wheels. Since the wheels included in this kit are unusable (as one of the 4 halves is about 15% smaler thus unusable.) When looking at some technical drawings scaled to 1/48th I found that the main wheels of the Junkers Ju 88 are spot on for the Ki-67. So these will be used. I have to find a substitute for the tail wheel as the one Sanger provides is way undersized.
One wonders if the folks at Sanger actually build their kits prior to producing them.
But they do provide a modellers challenge...Though I think that it would be less work to scratch build a Ki-67 in the 1/48th scale then building this Sanger kit...

Is there one wheel of the kit that you can use? If there is , put both halves together, sand seams and you have a model ( former ) for copying with an epoxy resin ( e.g. Poxipol .. etc..) and some of plasticine for making moulds. Having the former you can stamp the wheel halves in the plasticine moulds. Then fill them with the epoxy. When the epoxy resin is hardened fully , take the wheel halves out of the moulds sand them at flat surface and stick with the same epoxy resin. And voilà.

Is there one wheel of the kit that you can use? If there is , put both halves together, sand seams and you have a model ( former ) for copying with an epoxy resin ( e.g. Poxipol .. etc..) and some of plasticine for making moulds. Having the former you can stamp the wheel halves in the plasticine moulds. Then fill them with the epoxy. When the epoxy resin is hardened fully , take the wheel halves out of the moulds sand them at flat surface and stick with the same epoxy resin. And voilà.

Thanks, this indeed crossed my mind at first. But the detail on the Dragon Ju-88 wheels is much better then that of the Sanger kit. I did put/glued one of the Sanger wheels together, but they just don't look right compared to the scaled up Maru Mechanic drawings. The Ju-88 wheels are spot on and the rim of the wheel looks almost identical then the Ki-67 wheel.
And since I have a true details "weighted wheel set" for the Ju-88 kit I have on the shelve (and also found an extra set of Ju-88 wheels in the spare box) I opted for these. Less hassle, better end result

Anyway, It looks that I have most of the Sanger Ki-67 parts together...at last...
Still have to detail the interiour a bit further before I can close up the fuselage and add the wings...This will prove to be a big challenge...Though I made it this far...So keep your fingers crossed...
Still in dubio over the clear parts though...Nose and tail cone will have to be made from scratch. So I will have to make some sort of masters for them and try the "heat and plunge" method for these. Might wanna do the large main canopy as well as the part provided with the kit is...rather vague shape wise...Side blisters and turret are ok-ish and will have to do.

I see. If wheels of the kit don't fit, the ones of the Ju-88 are a good option. I keep my fingers crossed. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words and further encouragement!

I'm starting to think on how I want to paint this beast...just some carefull forward thinking, as there is still a lot of ground to cover on this build.

Hasegawa released a rather colorful Ki-67 as a limetd edition a few years back. I also found some B/W pics of this particular bird and it quiet apeals to me as it's a camouflaged one with a nice tail fin logo and Kokutai? nr.
Ki-67-60.jpg

65_10.jpg

Ki-67-64.jpg

65_20.jpg

I'm only not sure on how the camo was aplied on this machines, were the IJAA grey with green blotches aplied or vice versa...

Last edited:
Hmmmm....Difficult decision on the camo.
However, since this is a vacu kit and not up to TamiGawa standard, I think I go with the camo'd bird.
This will generate some distraction on the kit's quality, where an olive overall camo will stand out more, but will hide less...:idea:

Anyway, the olive overall Ki-67 carried some great tailflashes and I even found one with "noseart" very, very uncommon for IJA aircraft...This one was called "the White Tiger" wy it's pilot named "Kurita" (who survived the war to tell) however I could not find any info on the Kokutai this particular bird was attached, so I have no idea which codes it carried...
kurita3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back