1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm still not giving up on this one. It actually starts to look like a Ki-67.
I made new moulds for the nose and tail turret transparancies. the kit parts are a laugh. I took out both the Ki-49 and Yolosuka P1Y Ginga kit only to realize that the moulds provided bij Sanger for the nose transparencies are exact the same in all 3 kits!!!
Well, indeed...All 3 bombers had a glass nose, but not the same!!!

Anyway, I turned my attention back on the wings, added the engine faces and firewalls for the engines + detailed the wheel bays a bit, so I can hopefully join the wings to the fuselage. I also completed the tail parts.
With all of this done, I can hopefully started painting the interior and close the fuselage and hope to wrap up this kit by the end of the year! I hope to post some pics soon !

WOW, very nicily job, fascinate thread, I've been looking from time to time, very good job

I Managed to get some more work done on the Peggy. Still very time consuming. Though another step in the right direction...
Got the turret masked. I normally only use masking tape, but due the curve of the turret, Maskol seamed a good option to fill in the blanks.
DSCF2685.JPG

Next I wanted to add some extra detail to the cockpit era. The Eduard instructions for the 1/72 Hasegawa kit show some levers. So I tried to duplicate these. I'm a bit rusty as it's been quiet a while since I adventured in such detailing.
DSCF2680.JPG

DSCF2691.JPG

Installed in the cockpit
DSCF2693.JPG

DSCF2694.JPG

The white cover on one of the seats was seen in a pic of the Ki-67 cockpit. I think this is a pilots life jacket? I've seen it included in some other Ki-67 builds, notably a superb Sanger Ki-67 build on Hyperscale a few years back. I just added it to give a bit of extra "life" to the cockpit era. Not sure if I'm gonna leave it.
I also managed to get a bit more done on the wings. To my surprise the fit is quiete acceptable. Something that can not be said about the cockpit transparancy. This will be another head breaker for the comming days, I guess...
DSCF2690.JPG

I hope to get a bit more done this week-end, so I can start thinking about joining the fuselage halves....

Thanks!
I kind of changed my mind on the camouflage for this bird. As much as I like the Hamamatsu camo I posted earlier, I think it will be to difficult to obtain on this large model. + I have a Ki-45 for that camo.
So, I've turned my attention towards the green/brown over grey Ki-67 Bombers. There seams to be much more info on those colour schemes and they come with some great fin flashes.
65_19.jpg

ki67.JPG

A wreck in a field;
6800549000_9a210c2576.jpg

The upper colour is discribed as "Olive Drab", but with a brown-ish hint in it.
The thing is, manny profiles show the Ki-67 with dark green upper surfaces, where others are more brown.
I'd really like to know what the approx. colour for these upper surfaces was. And where they all green-brown-drab, or where there variation??
So help on this mather would be very welcome!

And there is/was a nice 1/72 decal sheet availble for the Ki-67 with more really great variations on the Ki-67's camo.
Though, I'd like to know where they got the info...
Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 11.19.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Ohm-men :shock:
This is a beautiful work that you are showing us.

It is not the job for less than it's costing you. But you have the talent and
can not stop be learning and enjoying your comments. :thumbup:

I'm taking notes. :computer:

Saludos cordiales amigo!!

I managed to close the fuselage! whew...quiet happy with that. Seam needed a load of putty and some hefty sanding. Though the turret fitted quiet nice.
Now I can start thinking about adding the wings to the fuselage. Though I still need to find a good solution to add the canopy to the cockpit as this part has a very bad overall fit...
Anyway, some research reveiled that the aircraft colour is indeed very close to US Olive drab with 10 to 15% brown added, which creates that red hue.
Anyway, I'm pretty stoaked that this model is finally turning into something!

At last this thing is getting somewhere...I was able to test my new "moulds" for the nose and tail cones.
My excuses for the over-staturated pictures.
Unfortunatly, the "moulds" were a tad short and a tad wide,so they'll need some reworking. But it's a start.
I was able to get the turret in. In retrospect it would have been a lot easier to construct it as an insert to the top of the feselage.
But since the fuselage was already a bit thin, I didn't want to take the risk of ruining it, so it had to go th ehard way. Quiet a stressfull job to get rid of the fuselage seam this way...

Anyway, enough talk...Picture time...
First the "heat plunge moulds made for the nose an tail transparancies, yup... a LOT of trail and mostly Error...
DSCF2707.JPG

Wings taped to the fuselage with engines installed (another grave job...)
DSCF2709.JPG

Front;
DSCF2710.JPG

Aft;
DSCF2711.JPG

Turret;
DSCF2712.JPG

A
DSCF2712.JPG

And the reason why I will have to rework the nose and tail transparancies....Nose is 5mm short, tail 3mm.
And they are to wide as I can slide over the fuselage. Oh well, I now know it can be done
DSCF2714.JPG

Unfortunatly I used up all my clear acetate stock, so I have to wait for my good friend Bart (a great modeller and suplier of many great modelling related stuff)
In the meanwhile I got a bit on the way with the old Esci Hs-129.
(Stay tuned for another tread on this one here)
Cheers,
-J-

Last edited:
A few better pics (hopefully) taken in daylight...
DSCF2716.JPG

DSCF2718.JPG

DSCF2717.JPG

And the underside and some wheel well detail.
The belly took quiet some putty, filler and Mr Surfacer to get a smooth fit.$
By now I have used half a tube of Tamiya grey putty on this model. (I think Sanger should include this when purchasing a kit from them :)
DSCF2720.JPG

DSCF2721.JPG

So, does anyone know anything about this particular Ki-67?
It sits abandoned in a field. I very much like the Japanese characters on the nose.
It also has a strange diagonal stripe on it's tail. I've seen simelar markings on a Ki-57 Topsy transport, so where did this particular Ki-67 belong to?
3212894933_68e43a20a8.jpg

This particular aircraft is a subject on the 1/72 Rising Decal sheet I posted earlier. Though the sheets comments says it's from a unknown unit in 1945.
I'm pretty keen on doing this one, since it looks a bit apart from the other Ki-67. Though I would like a bit more extra info in this aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back