1/48 Seafire FR.47 - 800Sqn FAA, HMS Triumph 1950 – Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
Subject: Supermarine Seafire FR.47 - 800Sqn FAA, HMS Triumph 1950
Name: Jelmer
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Airfix
Scale:1/48
Accessories: perhaps some left over bits and pieces from an aires cockpit set or - depending on how comparable they are - maybe even a full cutting edge spitfire 22/24 cockpit set (subject to change)

Ever since building the most excellent Airfix 1/48 Spitfire MK.22/24 kit sometime last year I've been on the look out for the Seafire 46/47 variation of that kit. Since it was out of production until very recently I was mostly looking at Ebay or swap meets, but this didn't help too much. So I was very happy indeed when I got a 'back in stock notice' rom Hornby/Airfix a little back. Bingo! Gotta turn this one into one of the HMS Triumph birds that operated in the desperate opening stages of the Korean war. Fingers crossed the folks in red fixed this one on terms of decals (I believe both the earlier releases of the Spit 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 were plagued by shi**y decals)

Attachments

• A06103-3D.jpg
    A06103-3D.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been one much for spits, but those bubble top, double fan late models....
Sex, boy, pure and simple!
Great choice on the Korean war markings!

Yup, there's certainly something to these late-Griffon engined beasts, although to my mind it had very little to do with 'Spitfire' anymore (so much so...I believe the original Spitty MK.22 wasn't even supposed to be called a Spitfire anymore...but what's in a name) Anyway...it's a bit of a childhood thing for me, these late Griffon engined puppy's. My old man was an avid model builder back in the day (he can't do it anymore because he has muscle/nerve system issues with his hands that has lead to his fine motor skills partially disappearing), as for as long as I can remember I had this big Matchbox Spitfire MK.24 hanging on the ceiling in my bed room.

Last edited:
Nice choice Jelmer - that makes 7 different aircraft types so far, and lots more to choose from!

I had no idea they were used in Korea, great choice!

Right from the start I believe. The first carrier borne airstrikes of the Korean war were carried out by Seafires and Fireflies of the FAA, together with a/c from the USS Valley Forge. I think the Seafires were also providing cover for the troops landing at Incheon (among others ofcourse) HMS Triumph and her Seafires departed from the Korean theater in late September 1950. The down side of the Seafire was apparenty that in the heat of battle they were sometimes mistaken for Yak-9's. I believe a Seafire was actually shot down by a B-29 for that reason. The pilot had to bail out in terrible weather and sea conditions and had to wait until an American destroyer could pick him up 'cause the Sea Otters normally used for sea rescues couldn't land.

Not a terribly long, but interesting episode of the Korean war and FAA nonetheless.

Yes and no...I did cut a some fuselage parts from the sprue and got a few resin parts off of their casting blocks to see how these might sit in the fuselage. Main project ATM is a BF-110E (gloss coated just now and ready for some decals. I dunno how long this GB might run, but from experiences (by building the Spitty Mk.22/24) I know they go together fairly fast, so a few more days to spend on the Bf-110 isn't too much of a problem.

Still thinking about some choices I need to make for this build. Wings folded or not (leaning towards folded ATM to express the most visible difference between FR.46 and FR.47), vac-form canopy or not (I know the shape of the hood is off, and the windscreen appears to be made for the FR.46 mostly not for the FR.47 which seems to have some sort of simplified framing to it compared to preceding marques.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back