**** FINISHED: 1/48 A6M3 Q-102 - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Username:Rogi
First Name: Igor
Category:3 (Just a reguler out of the box again )
Scale: 1/48
Kit Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: A6M3 Zero
Details: Q-102,

She was made by Mitsubishi on June 30th, 1942.

She took off one morning piloted by P.O. Kazuo Tsunoda to defend Buna Airfield against incoming Airacobras and B-26s.

The Zero was damaged in battle by Airacobras (August 27th, 1942) but managed to made a safe landing on Buna Airfield. Damaged and without proper repair facilities it was camoflaged. Later it was damaged even further after the airfield was attacked.

After the "Battle of Buna" the airfield was captured on Dec. 27th 1942. During January of 1943 the engine was removed and the entire Zero was salvaged and transported to Brisbane, arriving on Feb. 19, 1943 at Eagle Farm. The main Fuselage and sections of the aircraft were chosen to build a Flyable A6M3 Hamp along with 3 other aircraft, combined together the allies made the A6M3 EB-201 and tested it.

---------------

Sorry had to update the history of the aircraft :) Now on to the Final Shots :D
I may have to change some, I thought the camera was on a flat surface but most of the "flat" shots came out crooked :(

Shot #1: Up Front:
DSCN5892.jpg

Shot #2: From Behind:
DSCN5894.jpg

Shot #3: Angle Front Left:
DSCN5898.jpg

Shot #4: Angle Front Right:
DSCN5897.jpg

Shot #5: Angle Rear Left
DSCN5895.jpg

Shot #6: Rear Right:
DSCN5896.jpg

I'll post the optional ones in a seperate post :)

If I need to change anything please let me knwo :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now The Optional Shots:

I thought I'd do it more of a comparison shot in black and white for 3 of them to add a bit more artistic shots to the mix :D I like the comparison image between the actual plane and the model, I should of inserted that Aussie guy poking at the wing, but maybe if I find a Aussie military model in 1/48 :D which seems like an impossible job unless you go vintage and scratch build. :) *idea for diorama here :D* I'll post some commentary before the pictures :D

I like this one because it shows a nice line for the aircraft. Although I wish I had captured more of the wing in the B and W photo itself:
RSCN5887.jpg

This pic. Shows a good balance between the model looking like the picture (minus 1 Aussie dude :) model)
RSCN5889.jpg

Finally my fav. I cut out the prop in this shot so it could appear more like the actual aircraft in the photo, probobly my fav. shot of the day :) I love how the weathering in the center sections mimics the actual aircraft's weathering well :)
DSCN5891.jpg

and finally to make it 4 optionals a little color shot :D this was supposed to be a "test" shot being the first shot of the day but I liked it so much I added it in :)
RSCN5879.jpg

I really need to make a white box :D so some of the shots can look a bit more profressional :)

Thanks all for checking it out and thanks for browsing the thread your comments are always greatly appreciated and tips and tricks are welcome :)

Igor

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind comments :) really enjoyed this build and being able to finish her in time! :D

I just noticed I missed something :D the two landing lights on the tips of the wings the red and green ones :D I hope to have them fixed (maybe in a day or two when I go out to buy some new masking tape :(

P.S. I posted some final shots yesterday in the build thread too, close ups for the wings and other small items for the judges if they need it :)

Last edited:
Damn, didn't follow the GB 15 much - what a great build Igor!

Wanted to model that bird myself eventually too, now I know how nice the scheme will be! :)

Damn, didn't follow the GB 15 much - what a great build Igor!

Wanted to model that bird myself eventually too, now I know how nice the scheme will be! :)

Thank you :D

A4 if you do build it, the new A6M3 that Tamiya came out with is amazing, we opened one up that had it's packing ripped the other day at our LHS and it had lots of awesome items inside it :D

But still for 5 bucks the older Tamiya A6M3 and some work on her isn't bad either :) I think this is the first time I've actually had a lot of fun doing stuff out of the norm on a kit and I learned a lot on her :)

I wanted to do an "engine" showing version of this one, but I might get the Hasegawa kit and an aftermarket engine later on. I just spent that money for that kit on Buzz Lightyear, it sounds crazy, but hes awesome, I should post pics in the recently purchased section :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back