**** DONE: 1/48 A6M3 Q-102 - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good Igor.
It appear that the brake line is a single copper pipe (or aluminium pipe) running down, over a support bracket on the gear door, then around the yoke and joining with a flexible rubber hose, so only one continuous pipe/hose.

Its time for another update :D of the job over the weekend

Been busy on the canopy and the wheels, heres some pics:

For the canopy I mostly do all of them freehand, I mark off a specific section then paint, if anything overflows, I'll take a Q-tip cut off the end and dab it in water and remove the acrylic paint, leaves no marks and no scuffs at all, this one still has a bit more to go but shes almost done:
RSCN5712.JPG

Next the wheels, like I drilled through the previous landing gear item, I took a look at Wayne's amazing reference photos and noticed the wheels themselves have a drilled through section as well, so I took a smaller sized bit and drilled it in on both wheel metal sections (thats the easiest way I can explain it :S) I scratched up the wheels since I'll add lighter and darker blacks to the wheels later to imitate age.
DSCN5726.jpg

Next I attached the wire (painted in black to represent the brake line) and attached the whole thing together, there was minimal space and it fit together very well the tricky part was looping it through everything and inbetween the holes I made. I noticed that I didn't sand the seem on the wheels, so I took out the old manual sanding stick and went to work :D
RSCN5728.jpg

Finally the spinner, having been neglected I decided to paint the back portion in a black primer, I'll get to painting it a red brown with a bit of wood grain later :D
DSCN5732.jpg

Everyone is almost done :O So I decided to step it up a little :D

Red Brown on the Spinner:
DSCN5764.jpg

DSCN5765.jpg

Now time to age it a bit, Q-102 was really bashed up so I decided to strip a little of the wood on the prop to reveal some metal. (I looked over the info. on the Zero and it has a metal prop and not a wood one like I originally thought, so I decided to show some worn Red Brown on the back side)a bit of the metal got worn into plastic just a bit here and there, you can barely see it in the pics but I thought I'd throw that out :D, but I'll fix that later with a little Tamiya Aluminum. I start by applying aluminium, then flat black as in the previous post, then red brown, then sanding, black tells you your half way through sanding and then you only need half as much effort to see the aluminium, if plastic is showing, just add a bit of aluminium and voila, "worn" prop.
DSCN5767.jpg

Now for the fun part, the wings, I decided to go ahead and try and add some holes and shrapnel into the equation, I also sanded back some of the panels on the Zero, I'll add a bit of weathering later on to enhance the diffrence in color.
Usually I don't like to chip Hinomaru, but there both chiped in two sections of the wing ones so here they are :
DSCN5761.jpg

and a schrapnel scar on the bottom section near the flaps, again they still arn't colored but I wanted to post what I had atm :D
RSCN5762.jpg

and the other wing, this is a bit of chipping to the paint, I'll add mix in a special blend and add it tomorrow or the day after to vary the color.
RSCN5763.jpg

DSCN5760.jpg

Thats it for now, I'll try to take some angle shots later on so you can see the contours and how the scars have a bit of definition.

Almost done :D

Thanks for commenting and checking this out all :)

Last edited:
Liking the combat scaring idea Igor and am look forward to seeing the end result. Hope it comes out ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back