**** DONE: 1/48 A6M3 Q-102 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys for the support :D I Have.....to finish...in time :D Weathering can be the most rewarding part if I don't over do it :D

So a Small update, I was going to take a photo of the canopy all ready to go, but I forgot :S instead I took some photos of the wings and the next step in their weathering process :D
I've added some clear colors, orange, dark brown and yellow on select panels, trying to go for imitating the look of how diffrent panels have diffrent weathering looks to them. Taking a Q-tip diped in water I gently rub most of the marking away, it gives the originaly color an almost striped appearance (I've left a bit on both sides of the wings to demonstrate the before and after)

On the current pic you'll notice that on the sections near the hinomaru theres a definate loss in paint color from the IJN Grey Green to an almost milky green white. While after doing the effect on the left side near the fuselage it returns to it's original color with a bit of yellow and orange mixed in showing wear.
Since the aircraft was left out in the sun, not used for a specific amount of time its starting to become more battered. Once I do the bottom half of the aircraft I'll keep it more restrained.
DSCN5770.jpg

Now the other side of the wing, you can see the same here, near the hinomaru its almost green white and noticable while on the part near the fuselage where it's had some schrapnel damage its dirty representing its time in the jungle, un-attended.
DSCN5769.jpg

finally a full shot, I won't weather the fuselage and bottom part of the wings in this manner but they will be getting a 1 to 2 part pastel weathering. Another 1-3 steps on the top wing and it'll be done, I should have those posted along with the canopy pictures by Wednesday :D
DSCN5768.jpg

I pulled an all nighter yesterday, since I forgot to finish the engine itself and thought I might finish the entire model by today :S first the canopy pics, next engine. I decided not to post the "finished" airplane today, give it some time for the glue to set, then put everything together tomorrow and should be done by then :D

Canopy, done, interior and exterior, you can notice theres no antena since this bird had it choped off, so I puttied that section in the canopy and on the model where the antenna should go. and pic of the actual airplane with no antena :)
DSCN5805.jpg

Q-102-2.png

Next the engine, I glued push rods for it where they didn't have them before (stretched sprue cut to length) :D. I used Wayne's excellent example, Shinpachi's animation of a Sakae 21 and a net refrence from NASM for the engine rods and wiring.
RSCN5803.jpg

With everything in aluminium :)
RSCN5812.jpg

Trying a couple shots with the prop on :D
RSCN5818.jpg

and a close up since you can't always see everything at eye level, I'll fix the blue tomorrow and add a bit of silver, then a wash to dirty up the engine :)
RSCN5817.jpg

Thats all for now, hopefully by tomorrow shes done. I don't want to touch her as the landing gear is drying atm, or else I would of had an almost final pic of the plane's weathering and the landing gear applied. :)

Thanks for looking and commenting guys :)

Sorry guys, rain hit today so I hope I can get her varnished tomorrow, good thing is that most of the parts are on and I only need to glue in the small parts, weathing is good to go, just need some varnish and shes done :D I'll try to get some pics up today and then tomorrow or Sunday for the final ones :)

Ok so here are the final shots :D before the final shots (after I post this one I'll post the "Finished" Thread with all the required photos :)

Thank you all for the tips, tricks and comments :)
Big Thanks to Shinpachi and Wayne, who sent me a lot of refrence photos of items on the zero that I wouldn't be able to find online :) Their help was amazing :)

First off I sanded the cowling section here so the cowling could fit flush with the fuselage, there was a lot of space between the black cowling and the fuselage prior to this quick fix :)

DSCN5835.jpg

Next the engine, dirtied and oiled up and put into the cowling :
DSCN5828.jpg

DSCN5834.jpg

The final shots of the weather and distress on the wing, I don't really like how the red is a bit too red in these pics, I distressed it and in person it looks much darker and faded :S
DSCN5899.jpg

I fixed the propler a bit with some red brown over it again and sanded back a little bit more restrained than last time as to not completley make it look like the red brown was striped. You can also see a bit of the cockpit and wings in this shot :D
DSCN5906.jpg

Finally a better shot of both wings, as you can see the Hinomarus are almost bright red in these photos, the flash really got them bright :D
DSCN5902.jpg

I put in a color called "copper rust" on this side of the wing, its more of a mud or dirt color than rust but I think it has a nice effect near the red outlined sections:
DSCN5900.jpg

Thats it :) next final shots in the Finished thread :D Hope you guys enjoyed and thanks for checking this out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back