1/48 Spitfire Mk. XVI e - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Only one rondell went came out without a wrinkle. They didn't wrinkle until I put the put the Micro Sol on them either. The decals were very thick. This may or may not have had something to do with this problem. I'm not sure. I cannot get the wrinkles out so they are going to get Futured and we are going to call it done. I have to move on..

Attachments

• IMG_7222 resized 20.jpg
    IMG_7222 resized 20.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7224 resized 20.jpg
    IMG_7224 resized 20.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7225 resized 20.jpg
    IMG_7225 resized 20.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7226 resized 20.jpg
    IMG_7226 resized 20.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 74
Wurger, all of the photos, and there are not many, show them as feint, faded. I don't know why but that's the the kit is to. So I stayed with it. I may be wrong, Terry will know, I'm sure.

Aaron, Micro Sol and Micro Set will make the decals wrinkle, and then set into position - this is normal.
I only use the 'Sol', for both applications, and don't have a problem. If the decals have dried, then give them another wipe over with the 'Sol', using a soft paint brush. When they are wet with the Sol, gently press them into place and smooth them down with the brush, and then leave them. Do this BEFORE any clear coat is applied, leaving them at least 12 hours.
If they are badly wrinkled and dry, then carefully pierce them with the tip of a pin, and apply the Sol into the hole and over the decal, then leave as described above.
For future reference, if using only 'Sol', then soak the decal in water as normal, remove from the water, and shake off excess, placing the decal, on its carrier paper, onto a piece of tissue. Brush over a couple of drops of 'Sol', and leave for a minute or so. Wet the area to be decalled, using a paint brush dipped in water, then apply a drop of 'Sol' to the area and apply the decal. Squeegee it down, softly pressing into place with a soft cloth, then apply the 'Sol' as described above, gently using the brush to 'flatten' the decal. On a roundel in particular, work from the centre outwards, then leave well alone.
Given the decal hasn't creased or folded on itself, then it should settle onto the surface snuggly, and into any panel lines.
Hope this helps.
EDIT: crossing posts. Yes, this aircraft wore non-standard, pale blue roundels, being a 'personal' transport.

That's great advice Terry. It might be too late for this Aaron, but after everything has dried, you could try pressing down on the decals with a "hot as you can stand it" face cloth. It's worked for me a couple of times.

Geo

Thank you Terry, this is what I have done and somehow I managed to screw it up. The wrinkles are sharp and drawn up now. The only other option is to get more. I cleaned the surface, squeegeed the water and let set for about an hour before applying the Micro Sol, did this over the past few days to get them to settle into the panel lines and each time the wrinkles got worse. I may just go ahead and finish the model with out applying Future for now and find another set of Rondels later on and apply them. Will see.

Sounds like they've gone on slightly folded then. I've had this happen sometimes, when the decal has suddenly 'stuck' in place. They can be saved, with a bit of patience.
Using the point of a wet paint brush, carefully and gently go to work on the edge of the decal until you can get the point under it. Once you have, then keep at it, gently sliding the brush under the decal, letting the bristles lift it, keeping it wet, rather like sliding a knife under a slice of cake on a plate. Eventually, you should be able to move it enough to feed some water and 'Sol' under it, which should partly release the decal and allow it to be smoothed down. You must keep the decal wet during this process though.
It might take a little time, but more often than not it works, and is worth a try.
EDIT: Just read the bit about applying the 'Sol' an hour later. This will cause wrinkling, as it'll lift the decal. The 'Sol' should be applied immediately the decal is in place, which will cause it to wrinkle then set. Doing it later is softening the decal, which has already set, hence the wrinkles.

Last edited:
Well, after letting them set for a week they look a lot better. I have applied the first coat of Future to the top side. Waiting for it to dry so I can apply it to the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back