1/48 Tamiya F4U1 Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well Guys,

Here are a couple of shots of my almost finished F4U-1A Corsair. I still need to add the Antenna to finish it off.
As you can see I have not added any MG/Cordite stains to wings from the .50 Cal MG's. I have looked through many pictures and can't see any noticeable staining. Even on some with wings folded in direct sunlight. So I haven't added them. If anyone has some pictures they can post to show some distinctive staining I will consider adding them. Also, let me know what you think of the fuel stains on the fueling area in front of the cockpit. Not sure if more is required.

Anyway I am very pleased how turned out. More pics to follow.

View attachment 192897

View attachment 192898

How did you do the fuel stains? They look excellent

How did you do the fuel stains? They look excellent

I used a Filter product from Mig Productions. It's called Grey for dark yellow. From the pictures I have seen of Corsair fuel stains they looked to be a very light color ( perhaps bleached from the hot sun) so I decided to use the filter as it can be used on armour models to model rain marks as well as to give depth to a paint colour. Filters are used quite a bit on armour models but perhaps not on aircraft. I thought they would give it a similar look to dried fuel stains so I decided to try it on this kit.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

Last edited:
This is really a splendid model you have done here, Dave. Nice work. I love all the details. I am going to be doing a 1/6 scale model of Lt. Robert Hanson's Corsair airplane for a museum here in Denver. I will use some of your tips you used on your plane for the larger one I am going to do. It will be a redo of an rc kit to the specifications of Hanson's plane.

If anyone knows of good drawings or even some photos of Hanson's plane, please post links.

Thanks,

Davegee

This is really a splendid model you have done here, Dave. Nice work. I love all the details. I am going to be doing a 1/6 scale model of Lt. Robert Hanson's Corsair airplane for a museum here in Denver. I will use some of your tips you used on your plane for the larger one I am going to do. It will be a redo of an rc kit to the specifications of Hanson's plane.

If anyone knows of good drawings or even some photos of Hanson's plane, please post links.

Thanks,

Davegee

Dave,

Glad to see you liked the work I did on this Corsair. It would really be great to see your Corsair once it is done. 1/6 scale will be quite the size and will be really nice to see.

As for Hanson's A/C I don't have any photos of his aircraft just a few shots of him while he served in the South Pacific. I believe, like many Marine Fighter squadrons of the period, they did not assign individual planes to any one pilot let alone planes to any one specific squadron hence he aircraft was probably one with a factory generic 3 colour scheme of sea blue, intermediate blue and white. But then again I am sure you are aware of this information. The Bu.No and the aircraft number I suspect would make it particular to Hanson. The only link I can provide is this one with a colour profile of A/C 576

Aircraft illustration

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Dave.

http://www.totalwarinscale.blogspot.ca/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back