1/48 Tamiya P-51B USAAF 4th Fighter Group

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
Happy New Year to everyone here! Let's hope 2021 will better than the shit show that was 2020.

It's been a super long time since I did a build log on this site but I am back again folks. As such I have decided to build the oldie but a goodie Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang. I wanted to get back on the bench and start building aircraft and did not want to wait for any aftermarket add-ons to come which given the current pandemic could take months. I am going to do this bird as Dominic Gentile's Shangri-La the top scoring ace of the USAAF 4th fighter group. The kit has decals for his a/c but they are as thick as cardboard (typical for Tamiya when they released this kit) so I ordered some from KitsWorld. I put my order in last week with a gentleman in California and the tracking number says I should get them today or tomorrow which is pretty damn good I think since they had to cross the border. Also, when I opened up the kit I discovered I had a set of resin landing gear main wheels which I must of put in some time ago so I wouldn't forget I had them. Aside from those two things I am going to build this one OOB. It will be my Covid OOB build shall we say

Here's a couple of pics of my progress. to date. I got the wheel wells painted but need to add some alclad aluminum between the Chromate Yellow bracing and of course putty the wings. The cockpit and fuselage are done with a harness I scratched. I also got the port wing puttied, sanded and primed. As you guys know North American puttied the front half of the top and bottom wings to remove any seam lines to insure proper aerodynamics over the laminar wings. Finally, I replaced the kit .50cal MG's with plastic rod drilled out. The kit ones were nasty.

Paints: Mr. Hobby Color Interior Green, Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green. Tamiya Lacquer primer.

wingx900.jpg
20210107X900.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man.....nice stuff! Here are a couple more pics you may not have. I'm guessing the first one might be colorized but I believe the last 2 are original color. Source: my computer.

Gentile Shangri-La.jpg

P-51B Don Gentile 4th FG loading guns.jpg

P-51B Don Gentile 4th FG.jpg

Thank you sir for the great photos. You know that colour of Olive Drab for his aircraft is not an easy color to find but luckily I have a great match for it. Its a greenish grey which is unlike what most paint manufacturers make.They tend to make USAAF OD very olivy green. The colour match I have is surprisingly Vallejo U.S. Olive Drab. 70889. I wouldn't use it for armour but it's almost a dead on match for the colour you see in the photo of Don standing in his aircraft ad the second one you posted.
Cheers,

Thanks Guys. She's going together well so far. Here's some pictures of Gentile and his P-51. Too bad no one makes a set of decals with just the boxing chicken and no yellow background. Would be nice to paint it on.

Interested by this subject too, I found a set made by LifeLike decals without yellow background but mask added LifeLike48048

Last edited:
Thank you sir for the great photos. You know that colour of Olive Drab for his aircraft is not an easy color to find but luckily I have a great match for it. Its a greenish grey which is unlike what most paint manufacturers make.They tend to make USAAF OD very olivy green. The colour match I have is surprisingly Vallejo U.S. Olive Drab. 70889. I wouldn't use it for armour but it's almost a dead on match for the colour you see in the photo of Don standing in his aircraft ad the second one you posted.
Cheers,

My pleasure and I hope those pics help! Yeah, USAAC O/D is one of the biggest can 'o worms on planet earth! Gotta say that I'm not sure about the greenish gray thing though! We're probably just struggling with verbiage but my eyes see a more brown drab. Certainly could throw gray hues into that mix as well! Now having said that, I have some what I believe are original B-25 color photos (from the Med I believe) that the O/D is VERY green........olive that is. What's interesting is both the B-25 and P-51 being NAA products but with very different interpretations of O/D!
It'll never end.......lol. Maybe that's not a bad thing because nobody can tell you the shade of O/D you decide to use is definitely wrong!
Looking forward to seeing more of the build!

Yes, I agree. It's a personal choice U.S. Olive Drab is definitely one of those can of worms along with German Dark Yellow and the RAL colours the Germans used to paint their Tiger Tanks in North Africa. I am sure there are many others. Anyway I have started to spray it on the model and I really like the colour so I am going to run with it.

Cheers,
Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back