1/48 Tamiya P-51B USAAF 4th Fighter Group

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Sorry for getting some things out of sequence but I also took some pictures of my work on the cockpit. Here they are if you interested in having a look. Again, the only thing I did not OOB is the seat harness.

20210102_222018x800.jpg
20210102_222038x800.jpg
20210102_222118x800.jpg
20210102_222141x800.jpg

Put your thumb in a rabbits hole and clap your hands seems logical although not appropriate for some reason.

A few minor upgrades. Hussar Block tread tires to match Gentile's P-51B and the Lifelike Decals from Japan. These decals give you the Boxing Chicken with and without the yellow background. Without the yellow background they also give you a mask so that you can paint it on. Interestingly they also give you the red and white checkerboard pattern and one with just the white checkers in case you want to match the red paint you will have to paint the nose with. Typical Japanese quality.

_MG_3598.png

_MG_3602.png

Last edited:
European Theatre of Operations A/C identifier strips on and nose painted in red. Most ETO Mustangs also had the strips on the stabs and tail but not this a/c. Strips painted in Tamiya XF1, Nose painted in Vallejo (RAF) Red, inside of flaps painted in Alclad Chrome. The biggest challenge on this part of the project was getting the strips on the flaps correct since they mount in the full down position and it took some time to get them lined up with the wing. In the down position the strips on the flaps do not form a perfect in line position with the strips on the wings though they do in the zero position. You can attach them for in flight but you have to cut the mounting blocks off and since this bird will be sitting on the ground I didn't want to do that.

Cheers for now!

_MG_3603X625.png

_MG_3604X625.png

_MG_3605X625.png

_MG_3607xs625.png

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I added the underside picture above.

I mucked up the canopy but luckily I have a spare from my Tamiya Malcolm hood version (Snoops Sniper) so I will use that. Cleaned up the bench and misplaced the clear sprue and couldn't find it for the life of me. Spent a few hours looking for it but I did find it eventually. Then I thought I lost the replacement canopy but found it on the model itself. Some days I think I have dementia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back