1/48th Mitchell II - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
North American Mitchell II (B-25D), 98 Sqn, RAF, Melsbroek, Belgium, October 1944.

Username: Airframes.
Name: Terry
Category: Judge - non competing
Scale: 1/48th scale
Kit: Revel B-25B/C Mitchell
Accessories: Probably resin guns, possibly PE instrument panel, decals from decal files, some scratch-building and conversion, parts from the spares box.

Whether or not I'll get this one finished remains to be seen - the stiffness and discomfort in my hands has prevented me from doing any modelling for a couple of months at least, but this has mainly been where small, delicate work has been required, so by the time I get to that stage with this kit, my hands might start behaving themselves !

The subject aircraft is slightly unusual, in that it's one of the 'D' versions of the Mitchell used by the RAF's 2 Group squadrons, and will represent serial number FW-192 (note hyphen), US serial 43-3458, code VO-Y, of 98 Sqn, as it appeared in October, 1944.

More info to follow in the next post.

Last edited:
Mitchell II 98 Sqn.jpg
Mitchell kit.JPG
Mitchell tail guns.jpg
The B- 25 Mitcell began to equip the RAF's 2 Group in September 1942, with ultimately six squadrons receiving the B-25C and D models, both of which were known as the Mitchell II.
The squadrons concerned were 98, 180, 226, and 320 (Dutch), with 305 (Polish) Sqn operating the type briefly in October 1943, before converting to Mosquitos, and 342 (Free French) Sqn receiving both Mitchell II and III aircraft in March 1945.
In October 1944, the Mitchell III (B-25J) appeared alongside the earlier Mitchell II, both types serving until the end of the war in Europe, when the majority were flown to Kirkbride, in Cumbria, and scrapped.
The Mitchell squadrons joined 2 TAF in August 1943, and were involved in tactical bombing operations, including strikes on the V1 sites under construction, up until 'D-Day'.
Following the Invasion, the Mitchells were kept busy, initially flying from UK bases and attacking bridges, transport, communication and key industrial targets, in support of ground forces, right up to the final days of the war in Europe, with 98 Sqn being involved virtually on a daily basis. The Squadron were heavily committed during Operation Market Garden. when they attacked and destroyed a German barracks at Arnhem, suffering losses.
Based at Dunsfold, in Surrey, UK, the Squadron moved to Melsbroek, near Brussels, Belgium, in October 1944, along with 180 and 320 (Dutch) Squadrons, where it continued operations until a further move, to Achmer, in April 1945.
The subject of the model, FW-192 had a long and successful service life with 98 Squadron, until a forced landing at B58 Melsbroek on 29 November, 1944, caused it to be sent for repair by Reid and Sigrist. Arriving back just after VE Day, it was then unceremoniously scrapped !

At first glance, the B-25D outwardly resembled the earlier 'C' version,with the Martin top turret at the mid-point of the upper fuselage. However, the troublesome Bendix retractable ventral turret of the 'C' model was deleted, and a tail gun position added, similar (but not the same) to that fitted to the later 'J' model, but with a single .50 cal Browning MG.
Gun positions were also added to the waist area, again each mounting a single .50 cal Browning but, unlike those on the 'J' model, which were 'staggered', those on the 'D' model were parallel, and manned by a single crew member.

I had intended to build a Mitchell III, using the Revell B-25J kit I traded with Karl some time ago, but, lack of sufficient photo evidence (decent, full photos of the Mitchell III are fairly sparse), and a desire to make a 'D' instead, possibly by converting the 'J' ( a long job!) lead to the decision to model this subject - the Mitchell III model will follow at a later date.
On inspecting the parts in the 'J' kit, I found that there are spare waist windows, as well as the rear gun position glazing (which can be adapted and modified to resemble that of the 'D' model), and decided it would be an easier job, overall, to convert a 'B' or 'C' variant kit to the D model - if I could obtain one at a realistic price !
The best 1/48th scale kits of the earlier Mitchells are from Accurate Miniatures, and the Italeri and Academy re-boxings of the same kits, but cost a King's ransom.
Alternatively, the old Revell kit (which I built as a Mitchell II 25 years ago. since give to relative), although fairly basic by today's standards, is still a very good basis for a good model, if one can be found at a reasonable price - even this old kit can cost upwards of £25. Fortunately, I've been able to find one, and one of the earliest, 1960's releases at that, and for an acceptable price.
So, when it arrives, the first stage will be to measure and prepare for the basic conversion - adding the apertures for the waist windows and tail-gun positions, and commencing the initial work on blanking-off the aperture for the Bendix ventral turret, before starting on some internal detail work.

More to follow just as soon as I get the kit, but meanwhile, the pics below show the box art, the tail-gun position differences, and a pic of the subject aircraft.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps.
I really don't like starting another model before finishing others - but I really must get back to the bench, otherwise there'll still be a very large stash left when I pop me clogs !!
But seriously, it's been very frustrating not being able to do the final 'fiddly' bits on the Spitfire and the two Starfighters, as my hands and wrists are just too stiff, with very little articulation, to attempt such demanding work. However, general preparation and construction, although slow, difficult, and at times quite painful, should be possible, as there's been some slight improvement over the last week or so, and, by the time I'm half-way through this build, I hope to have started on the new medication, postponed due to that bl**dy spider bite, which should make a huge difference, and allow something approaching 'normal' use of hands and wrists.
As soon as the kit arrives, I'll get started and post the first pics.

Thanks Wojtek, Andy and Geo.
Just been doing a bit of checking, as something was bugging me about the engine cowlings. The original kit was released as a 'B' variant, which should have the single exhaust and, if my memory is correct, this is included in the kit parts, and definitely shown on the box art.
However, from the 'C' onward, and including my subject, the 'S' pattern, single exhaust stubs, within individual fairings, were fitted. Fortunately, 'Quickboost' have an inexpensive set of resin cowlings, with 'open' exhaust stubs, which look rather nice, so that should save a lot of fiddly hassle when the engine stage is reached.
Next thing is to find the extensive notes I made, back when I built the kit last time, around 25 years ago, along with the scale plans, all of which are in a folder I had in my hands only a couple of months ago. I've obviously put them somewhere safe ..... so safe I can't bl**dy find them !!

Next thing is to find the extensive notes I made, back when I built the kit last time, around 25 years ago, along with the scale plans, all of which are in a folder I had in my hands only a couple of months ago. I've obviously put them somewhere safe ..... so safe I can't bl**dy find them !!

Check the beer fridge!

Jeff

Nope, checked the fridge Jeff !
An A4 size, brown manilla file folder, containing 4 or 5 pages of typed info on RAF Mitchells, with full serial listings, half a dozen B&W prints supplied by the IWM, Lambeth, three sheets of B&W profiles drawn by me, some brief personal accounts by former RAF Mitchell aircrew, and two, A3 size sheets of scale plans, can not suddenly disappear, especially when I had it in my hands a week or two before Christmas !
I swear I've got bl**dy Gremlins in my house !!!

Nope, checked the fridge Jeff !
An A4 size, brown manilla file folder, containing 4 or 5 pages of typed info on RAF Mitchells, with full serial listings, half a dozen B&W prints supplied by the IWM, Lambeth, three sheets of B&W profiles drawn by me, some brief personal accounts by former RAF Mitchell aircrew, and two, A3 size sheets of scale plans, can not suddenly disappear, especially when I had it in my hands a week or two before Christmas !
I swear I've got bl**dy Gremlins in my house !!!

That sucks Terry, I hate it when I cant find something. You need something let me know and will try and help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back