1/48th Mitchell II - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the offer Paul.
It's the notes and scale plans I particularly want, just to check a couple of things. The notes were compiled in preparation for a magazine article, and include info regarding the presentation of the serial numbers in specific production batches. Certain batches had the numbers applied with a hyphen between the letters and numbers, for example, FW-192, rather than FW192, as would be normal practice, and the location also varied slightly.
I think my subject was one of these, but it's not clear in the photo, even when enlarged. There is also detailed information on the interior colour layout - where each colour was used etc etc - as both Bronze Green and Interior Green where used on airframe and internal fittings, and I compiled this after closely inspecting the Fighter Collection's Mitchell II [B-25C] when it first arrived in the UK, back in 1988 (it returned to the USA, still painted as 'Grumpy', of 98 Squadron, in August 2009).
The scale plans are not that important, but will be useful when building the tail-gun position.
I have a feeling I know where the file is - under a large pile of boxes and other stuff, where I'm still in the process of moving things around to create more usable space !
Just got to find the energy, and strength, to move the darned stuff to check !!

Should be interesting to see you do the conversion Terry. I did not know any of the rear turret B-25's has a tail gun position. I built this kit years and years ago back before I had an airbrush and still have it on the display shelf but it is in need of some repair.

Yep, selective amnesia - I must stop drinking Alzheimer's Ale !

I was the same Glenn. I knew of the 'hybrid' B-25D, looking like a 'C' model but with waist and tail gun positions added, and knew the RAF possibly had some, along with 'standard' Ds and Cs, both as Mitchell II, but hadn't seen any photos of them until a few years ago.
From what I've learned in my research, a number (quantity not known) of late-model 'D's were built with the tail gun cupola, similar to that which would eventually be fitted to the Mitchell III (B-25J), although somewhat smaller, and these were known in the RAF as the Mitchell IIa.
Just waiting for the kit to arrive, which might be tomorrow, then I can get down to some planning and cutting.

The kit has arrived, and I've managed to start some measuring and planning. Quite a bit of internal work will be needed, as detail is minimal, although I'll only be adding the essentials.
I hope to make a start over the weekend, if I can shake of this bl*8dy cold - feel like sh*t at the moment !

Thanks Wayne.
I've made a start, about three hours work, but not much to show.
First job was to clean-up the fuselage parts, as there was quite a bit of flash, the norm for the period of this kit. Next job was to measure up and mark the positions of entrance hatches, waist windows and tail gun position, ready for cutting.
PICS 1 & 2 Show the position of the two underside entrance hatches, marked with Tamiya masking tape.
Pic 3. The outline of the hatch engraved.
PICS 4 & 5 Marking the position of the waist windows, using the spare glazing from the Revell B-25J kit as a template, and engraving the outline. Unlike the 'J' model, the waist windows on the 'D' were not staggered. Those oval mouldings represent a knock out panel, which should have a circular window at the top, and another smaller oval window, present on the B and C, but not on the D.
PICS 6 to 8. The tail planes were taped together and clipped onto the fuselage, with the spare glazing from the 'J' kit taped in place, to judge

Mitchell Build 003.JPG

Mitchell Build 004.JPG

Mitchell Build 010.JPG

Mitchell Build 017.JPG

Mitchell Build 019.JPG

Mitchell Build 011.JPG

Mitchell Build 013.JPG

Mitchell Build 015.JPG

the area of the opening for the gunner's position. This again was engraved, and will be cut open, through both halves of the tail plane. The glazing will be utilised, along with a scratch-built fairing, and painted in such a way as to reduce the amount of clear area, and more or less represent that used on the 'D', as shown in the final diagram.
PIC 9. The differences in the tail gun glazing and fairing.

Mitchell tail guns.jpg

Next step is to start cutting and checking fit, before starting on the planning for the interior.
More soon.

EDIT: I don't like this new way of up-loading pics - can't seem to get the test in the right place !

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Though I am slowly getting the hang of uploading it still fails me from time to time and I end up deleting and starting over. I agree with Andy on another thread, wait for it all to upload and then post. It might help.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back