1/48th scale Wessex HAR.2, 22 (SAR) Sqn, RAF Valley, 1990.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Evan - should get a bit more done over the weekend,in between working on the Tornado.

Got a few more small items done, and started on the internal modifications.
PIC 1 Shows the forward fuel filler blanked off inside.
PIC 2. Same on the rear fuel filler, and the fuel drain pipe added.
PIC 3. Top row, the cockpit bulkhead and floor cut out. Bottom row, cabin rear bulkhead extended and a bit of detail added (still needs holes drilling for wiring and seat frame), floor extended, front bulkhead with some detail added. Got to add a fire extinguisher and other odds and sods yet.
Still a long way to go before any proper construction begins, but as mentioned, I hope to get some done over the weekend.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 028.jpg
    Wessex Build 028.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 87
  • Wessex Build 027.jpg
    Wessex Build 027.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 90
  • Wessex Build 026.jpg
    Wessex Build 026.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 96
Thanks chaps, hope to get a bit more done over this four-day weekend. It's a bit bl**dy complex planning the sequence for the cabin construction, that's for sure!

Tea??!! You think I've gone all ...er...hmph!
Hope to get some more done tonight and maybe tomorrow, whilst bits are drying on the Tornado. Just realised, I've titled the thread incorrectly - the SAR version of the HC2 had it's own classification - HAR 2. Ah, well, never mind eh?

Thanks Andy. I'm not really that 'into' helicopters either, with a few exceptions, but always wanted to do a Wessex in 1/48th scale - just had to decide whether to do the SAR version or the troop-carrier.

Just about finished the preparation, and almost ready to commence some construction, starting with the basic cockpit layout and main cabin, both of which will entail a lot of scratch-building.
PIC 1. Shows the tail rotor pylon, with the cooling intake and exhaust vents, and the two slots (hand holds I think) cut out. The vents will eventually have fine gauze fitted, to represent the metal mesh grilles. The access panels have been sanded down, as have nearly all the rivets on the entire airframe, leaving just a hint, which should look acceptable under paint ( after polishing the parts first).
PICS 2 and 3. All unwanted holes and depressions have been filled, and a number of new holes and slots cut for various antenna mounts, plugs and brake line attachments. The upper steps on each side have also been enlarged, and the actual steps will be made and fitted later. The large holes at the bottom of the fuselage are for the scratch-built landing gear legs, which will replace the 'V' shaped kit parts, a left-over from the original S-58 'Choctaw' kit, the mounting points for which are the slots in the rectangular moulding on the under side.
PIC 4. The tail boom access hatch in the cabin rear bulkhead has had the quilted, padded, sound-deadening 'curtain' added, made from lead foil from a scalpel blade packet, rubbed over the grain of my power tool case. The suspension straps for when the curtain is rolled up are from the same source. Holes have been made for the upper 'tubular' mounts for the seats, and for the electrical wiring which runs the length of the cabin, from the cockpit, on the port side.
That's it for now, but I hope to get some more done tonight, so maybe some pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 031.jpg
    Wessex Build 031.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Wessex Build 035.jpg
    Wessex Build 035.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Wessex Build 036.jpg
    Wessex Build 036.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Wessex Build 039.jpg
    Wessex Build 039.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 96
Ahoy Terry
Great start Sir, looking very very nice love to see the finished product Hardy Well Done.

Boats

Thanks mate! A long, long way to go yet, due to all the internal building and cutting-up of kit parts, plus making a totally different engine cowl and nose filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back