1/72 Fairey Fulmar Mk. II, 809 Naval Air Squadron FAA, HMS Victorious Operation "Pedestal" (Malta Convoys), 1942

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
Well, I've thrown another carrier kite together, but my appalling lack of patience continues to be a barrier to quality! I quite enjoyed this one though, and the end result looks OK on the shelf (I do like the cheerful yellow tail and leading wing edges to offset all that camo). Scruffy canopy as usual, discussed elsewhere and I've been given some kind tips.

This is a 25-year-old Revell kit straight out the box, with the exception of the roundels and fin flashes which cam from an aftermarket sheet, the white on the original looked quite discoloured (though the "6F" came out alright) and the underwing roundels were printed too large. Not too much aggro to build, well if I'm honest if I encounter aggro it's usually aggro that I've created for myself! I've never met a Revell kit I didn't like actually. I'm quite pleased with the antenna wires and am wondering if I could summon the courage for a Swordfish with rigging...

Trying to decide on what to do next, maybe a jet or I have a Hasegawa Mosquito FB Mk VI kit and some FAA decals...

(PS I've got a lot going on in life so don't devote that much time to the modelling, so I do appreciate you guys humouring my efforts, and your encouragement! Tony)

fulmar.jpg

Love the colours as well and a decent looking model. If you venture into the biplane rigging world, I would recommend the use of this material:

hobbii-19-04-2019-34352-700xauto.jpg

The cross section is rectangular as on most real aircraft and, being elastic, it will always stay taut provided that it is cut a little short and stretched as it is glued into a locating hole.

Love the colours as well and a decent looking model. If you venture into the biplane rigging world, I would recommend the use of this material:

View attachment 582469

The cross section is rectangular as on most real aircraft and, being elastic, it will always stay taut provided that it is cut a little short and stretched as it is glued into a locating hole.

Thanks for the tip!

Nice model! - Always had a soft spot for the Fulmar. I see that the old Revell mould was most recently reissued by AZ with some extra photo-etched parts. Might give it a try.

Will certainly try that Prym elastic. - I made the mistake of getting some Usci Superfine rigging (the size recommended for 1/72nd). It was very expensive and very frustrating to use - like spiders-web. Maybe I would have been better off with a thicker grade. I've been using a fine monofilament sewing thread since then -but the elasticity of the Prym product looks ideal, cheap too. - Thanks, Crimea River!

That's great, puts mine to shame!

No, no , that was not the target , your Fulmar is nice as well
I saw you liked the yellow fin , some more colour to RAF patterns ( as I did)

I wonder about your extended yellow leading edges stripes..?
I didn't remember about that ; but me and nodody is perfect

I even think my 2 top colours blended too much ... sometimes weathering overpasses your will...
The same time I built the Special Hobby Firefly Mk.I ( Indonésia Sea 1945) and that effect was even stronger; and it even seems the EDSG / DSG melted effect accentuated with the time....?
So I thought for myself the tropical sea conditions could be worse !

Not all my models are like this one
I am 69 and was modelling since I was 12. All of us make progresses ; I hope I will stay safe ; some modellers friends have the Parkinson disease and cannot work further on kits.

And I have to apologize to our visitors about the pictures oversize ; I am rarely posting photos here , more on britmodeller ,and I didn't care about the picture right size;
It is probably possible to switch them off but I didn't preview my message

Other question : is it possible to check an automatic mail responses when somebody posts an answer ( like on britmoller and hyperscale) ? If yes , how to do it ?

my last models :
- just before lockdown, an Albemarle Valom (horrible 6 months nightmare ...) ; the building report is on a 72 scale french forum
- during the lockdown , Blenheim Mk I diorama and 2 rarely seen birds : P- 66 and P-43 , both with chineses deco
If somebody is interested I can send pictures and/or links

Stay safe all !
christian

Other question : is it possible to check an automatic mail responses when somebody posts an answer ( like on britmoller and hyperscale) ? If yes , how to do it ?

Go to your Preferences here and check if there is the correct setting in the Email options. Then mark it and save.

View attachment 582469

Hi, Just wanted to say a big thank-you for recommending this Prym elastic for rigging biplanes. Just finished a model using it - brilliant stuff. I like the way it sticks easily and quickly using CA glue, both to plastic and itself. No more holding hot soldering irons under stretched sprue or monofilament to get it to straighten out for me from now on! - So cheap as well, 200 metres is going to last me for decades!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back