1/72 Hasegawa Me 262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys. I know I've been gone for
too long! Here's an update on my Me 262 build. Instead of filling in that crack on the wing and engine joint, I ended up removing the entire wing and lower middle section of the fuselage completely. By some miracle, I was able to do this without causing damage to the fuselage. Phew...
After reattaching the needed parts and masking the canopy I painted the model using Tamiya lacquer spray paints. These paints are a bit dark for this scale, but I really just plan on using them as base coats. For the RLM 74 and dark green squiggle mottling, I'll use tamiya or vallejo acrylics.

Unfortunately, I was too rough yesterday when removing masking tape from the left horizontal stabilizer and I ripped it off from the joints. Yikes! From now on I promise to always be much gentler! Anyhow, I've since glued it back on but there are a few unsightly cracks that I need to fill in. What would be the best way to fix this damage? I have someTamiya gray putty and some Tamiya epoxy, too. Would you recommend using either of these, or do you know of anything else that would work better? I've included a picture of the damaged area.

Thank you all for your help!
Jon
D19B55EB-56BF-4D0E-AF01-1DC06A8104AF.jpeg
34A865DD-6966-4714-B79A-855100B7E7D8.jpeg

Looking good. :)

Do you mean fixing of the joint under the stabilizer? If you do I would use a PVA glue. Just use it as the putty. The excess of it you should remove with a wet soft rag or a brush soaked with warm water leaving the glue in the gaps only. In the way you will avoid sanding of the joints. Then slightly repainting of the fixed areas.

Looking good. :)

Do you mean fixing of the joint under the stabilizer? If you do I would use a PVA glue. Just use it as the putty. The excess of it you should remove with a wet soft rag or a brush soaked with warm water leaving the glue in the gaps only. In the way you will avoid sanding of the joints. Then slightly repainting of the fixed areas.
Thanks Wurger. I'll try that and let you know how it goes. :)

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to update you all on my progress. At the joint where the vertical stabilizer meets the port horizontal stabilizer, I did my best to fix the crack. Following Wurger's suggestion, I applied some PVC glue, which did help, though I must confess using some putty! It still looks a bit rough but much better than before. I'll live with it. ;)

I've airbrushed the RLM 74 camo with Vallejo Model Air paint. A few days ago I applied mottling to the fuselage sides. I experimented with handbrushing the mottles. I'm pleased with the results overall! For the mottling, I used a combination of Model Air and AK Interaktive colors straight from the bottles. These included RLM 02, 74, and 75. Most of the paints had just the right consistency of being thin but not runny. I was careful to remove any excess paint by daubing the brush on a newspaper. I also found that running a cotton swab against the occassional mottle that appeared too thick was helpful for thinning it. You can also completely erase any unwanted mottles that way. To make the demarcation between upper and lower surface colors more subtle, I carefully handbrushed thin coats of RLM 75 (though it came out more like RLM 02) along the demarcation. I did this before applying the mottling.

The next step will be to paint meandering lines of RLM 83 on the uppersurfaces and sides. I plan on using my airbrush for that. I'm still learning to get a handle on using the airbrush properly!

All advice, comments, and criticisms are welcome.

Regards,
Jon

Hi Everyone,

Today was a rainy day, and I decided to handbrush the meandering green lines rather than airbrush them. I'm eager to get this baby done as soon as possible after having waited so long! I'm quite pleased with how the squiggles came out. At first I used Vallejo Modle Air RLM 83. Eventually, I switched to making the squiggles with Vallejo Model Airl RLM 82, judging that the color made for a more interesting contrast with the base color greys.

Additionally, I painted the front of the nose cap white (Humbrol) and painted the trim tab of the fin RLM 76 (Vallejo Model Air). I also painted white the little pie-shaped cover on the bottom trailing edge of the fin.

The next step will be to paint RLM 82 squiggles on the wings!

Regards,
Jon
42BE46C4-E008-4F0A-B773-D91AD3EA50DE.jpeg

Hi everybody,

All is assembled now! The undercarriage and underside parts have all been painted and glued on. I've also painted squiggles over all upper surfaces. In this kit, the cannon shell ejector ports on the underside of the nose section are not indented. I painted these black. The foremost section of the nose cap was painted yellow. Next step is to spray on a gloss coat in preparation for decals. :)
FA41BA14-641A-491B-86CB-85599CE26861.jpeg
B5BD673F-29BC-4915-851A-9F80A5BB7169.jpeg
0979880F-0301-4CDE-B28F-AEC9FFFE9CC6.jpeg
D2C70E58-96DE-48EF-980F-CB4AC33705E1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back