1/72 Memphis Belle Diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone have any pics of the canopy arrangement and gun assembly for the radio operators area?
I want to make sure I don't stuff it up before I weild the hobby knife!:lol:
Cheers,
Tony.

Did some more weathering of the base including some muddy tyre tracks -

p1090086f.jpg

The Jeep will be parked where the tyre marks end -

p1090087u.jpg

Started work on a workman's scaffold,pics tomorrow hopefully.
Cheers,
Tony

Does anyone have any pics of the canopy arrangement and gun assembly for the radio operators area?
From B-17G wallkaround -

Attachments

• b17radiopos.png
    b17radiopos.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 145
  • b17radiopos2.png
    b17radiopos2.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
The hatch was different on the B17F compared to the 'G', and the gun mounting totally different again. The first mount was circular and complex, with a later, simplified mount, as fitted to the 'Belle'.
Bear with me and I'll scan and post some pics. Note also that, on the 'F', the waist window hatches slid sideways, inboard, on rails, to open.

Here you go Tony, a few pics and drawings which might help a bit.
The interior shots of the radio room gun mount show both the early (circular) mount, and the simplified version as used on the 'Belle'.
(Pictures from 'B17 at War' by Roger Freeman, B17 manual and Squadron Signal 'B17 in Action').

Attachments

• Buys 088.jpg
    Buys 088.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Buys 087.jpg
    Buys 087.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Buys 086.jpg
    Buys 086.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Buys 085.jpg
    Buys 085.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Buys 084.jpg
    Buys 084.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Buys 089.jpg
    Buys 089.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Buys 090.jpg
    Buys 090.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Buys 091.jpg
    Buys 091.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 149
  • Buys 092.jpg
    Buys 092.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Buys 094.jpg
    Buys 094.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 125
Wow! Sensational stuff Terry! many thanks mate!:D
Cheers,
Tony.

Terry, you must be the keeper of all knowledge regarding anything that flies... I've never met anyone who has as much aircraft information at their fingertips as you have. :)

Thanks Bill ! I think it's called 'hoarding' - been collecting books, pictures, magazines for a very long time!!

A size comparison with a spitfire....

View attachment 159326
That's a big sucker!:shock:

I'm having a problem deciding on the interior colours.It seems most B-17F's had either Chromate Green or Bronze Green in the pilot's,navigator's and radio operator's cabins.Bare metal finish was the order of the day for the other areas.
Would this be correct for the Belle? Should I go Chromate or Bronze Green?
Also,would the waist gunners floor be varnished plywood or would they have had black rubber matting?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Tony.

Interior detailing set arrived today!:D
Nice mix of P.E. and resin,certainly enough to keep me busy!:shock:

p1090093y.jpg

Cheers,
Tony.

That's a big sucker!:shock:

I'm having a problem deciding on the interior colours.It seems most B-17F's had either Chromate Green or Bronze Green in the pilot's,navigator's and radio operator's cabins.Bare metal finish was the order of the day for the other areas.
Would this be correct for the Belle? Should I go Chromate or Bronze Green?
Also,would the waist gunners floor be varnished plywood or would they have had black rubber matting?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Tony.

The Belle was an F and I am not aware of any E's or F's that did not have the entire interior corrosion protected (i.e no NMF or unpainted interior). Zinc Chromate Interior Green was the most common paint..

The plywood was generally sprayed with a sand/silica compound and painted black for non skid - no rubber matt anywhere AFAIK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back