1/72 Messerschmitt Me-210 A-1, BN+CO of ZG-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The entry hatches for the crew spanned across the centerline so that could be why the molding is not symmetrical.

I don't know about the fit sorry, but personally don't like the way they moulded it. This is part of the reason I'm going vac on this (the other reason the armoured glass at canopy rear, MUCH too thick)

Give us a yell if you need that canopy anyway, or you could try getting Falcon's vacform canopy aswell, either as part of their set no.29 (Luftwaffe Pt.6 - single canopy), or as a double set sold under the 'Squadron Crystal Clear' brand name.

Thanks again Evan. Will have a look see for a vac replacement cos that might be the way to go.

David.

Last edited:
Mate, I'm an idiot! Had a look at my canopy set and there's a 410 one in there too! Almost completely identical to the 210, save for the rear section which is 1 mm wider. Drop us your address in a PM if you want to give that a go.

STA52061.JPG
STA52060.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the generous offer Evan. Much appreciated. I have orderd a set locally and await confirmation of same. Will let you know if I get stuck.

David.

BN+CO is the Stkz for Augsburg-built Me 210A-1 W.Nr.2102290. It was in fact delvered to III/ZG 1 whose code is 2N.

Would it then have been 2N+CO? Luftwaffe codes still confuse this little black duck.

Just wondering,
David.

Thanks, Maxi. Thought it would've changed. Last two letters refer to Aircraft number Staffel number - is that right? That one photo is all I can find of BN+CO with Mr. google. Wonder where she ended up?

Actually, there's no evidence of what it changed to or even if it did. I agree with Paul that, if it did, it would have changed to 2N+?? If we new which Staffel of III/ZG1 it was with, we could get the last number and squadron colour but the individual aircraft letter would be anyone's guess. The Stkz numbers and squadron codes had no relationship to each other. Petrick and Stoker list this aircraft delivered on 23 Jan 43, damaged on 13 Feb, and again on March 1 but no squadron codes are mentioned, just the original BN+CO codes and no other photos are offered.

There are also many pictures of KG51 Me 410's with Stkz, but no unit codes. Unit codes seem to be have applied on a "whenever we can get around to it" basis.

This all makes the recognition of Luftwaffe aircraft all the more fun! The continual creation, disbandment, amalgamation, reformation and splitting of Luftwaffe units is delightful!*

*If you are completely mad. The real reason the Luftwaffe lost was not only having no idea what they actually had, they had no idea where they'd put it.

Seems as though the Luftwaffe was as organised as I am. :lol:

If I may delve into the fountain of knowledge again -

Q1. Cockpit colour? I figure RLM66 since 1943ish.
Q2. Overall camo scheme colours? 74/75/76? with mottling of same?
Q3. Nose glazing? Was the glass clear or tinted?
Q4. Spinner colour? I think all white but some profiles show quartered white black. The pic of BN+CO in a previous post shows 2 colours on the spinner but I interpret that as a shadow. Your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance,
David.

Regarding the spinner, I vote the half (not quartered) white and black although it's possible dark green like RLM 70 or 71 might have been used. There's a clearer picture of the one in post 5 in the Petrick Stocker book and it's definitely a sharp delineation, not a shadow. I don't trust the profile in post 5 as it shows a short-fuselaged 210 whereas the photo in post 5 clearly shows this a/c had the lenghtened fuselage.

Edit: had previsously said 1/4 white but I believe it's half.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back