1:72 Mosquito NF.Mk.XIII - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Kit: Tamiya
Model type: De Havilland DH.98 Mosquito NF.Mk.XIII
Accessories: Eduard #SS137: Mosquito Mk.VI (common components with NF.MK.XIII)

Subject: machine of No.488 (NZ) Sqn. RAF - probably MM515 ME-Z
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night fighters played a very important role in the defence of Britain. One of the squadrons assigned this task was the reformed No. 488 (NZ) sqn. RAF, formerly involved in the defence of Singapore and disbanded after she fell.
Aircraft used by 488 in the NF role were the Beaufighter Mk.II and VIf initially, later converting to Mosquitos Mk. NF.XII, NF.XIII, and NF.XXX.

My subject is one of our NF.XIIIs, probably MM515 ME-Z (because it has D-day AEAF bands :) )

Will take pics of the kit tomorrow in daylight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys! Here's pics of the basic kit.

I will be adding an Eduard PE 'Zoom' set to enhance it, plus scratchbuilding (as always), and making up the codes and serial numbers from Ventura Decal sheets.

STA56213.JPG

STA56214.JPG

Nice !
When you get a chance Evan, could you post a pic of the instructions showing the radio set-up please?
I'm just trying to confirm the layout of the later radio sets which, in 100 Group at least, were also fitted to their night-fighter Mossies, and also to later FB,VI aircraft. Don't know if Tamiya have got that set-up though.

Nice !
When you get a chance Evan, could you post a pic of the instructions showing the radio set-up please?
I'm just trying to confirm the layout of the later radio sets which, in 100 Group at least, were also fitted to their night-fighter Mossies, and also to later FB,VI aircraft. Don't know if Tamiya have got that set-up though.

Andy - YES PLEASE! I have a little info found on the net, but the more the better!

Terry, here ya go mate.

Tamiya 1:72 Mosquito FB.Mk.VI/NF.Mk.II:

STA56219.JPG

Tamiya 1:72 Mosquito NF.Mk.XIII/XVII:

STA56220.JPG

Have to do a little reading. My reason for doing this bird was to have one in AEAF bands (either MM515 ME-Z or MM466 ME-R - preferably 'Z'). A later 488 (NZ) sqn. NF.XII and XXX will be in the standard scheme sans bands. These base kits are stored in Hungary.

A photo caption has thrown the timing into question, as (it suggests) banded aircraft were based in France already. Need to check some dates.

Thanks Evan, that's brilliant, just what I need !
The second instruction drawing shows the American-made SCR remote for the radios, and the Gee R/F unit (at the right in the drawing), plus the Gee indicator facing inboard. That's what a later FB.VI should have, but kit manufacturers continue to provide the earlier 1154/1155 set-up for the B,IV and FB.VI !!

What period do you want to portray ? I can check the Squadron locations pre-deployment to France - most of these units moved to the Continent soon after D-Day, and where mainly employed on Ops over the Continent in the run-up - the stripes would suggest they were on 'overseas' ops prior to the move to France.

Cheers Andy and Terry, I'll no doubt need your consultation as I go along!

And I CAN go on with the project as planned!
If Aunty Wiki is correct (...), 488 operated the NF.XIII from October 1943 to September 1944, and were based in England that whole time. When they moved to B.48/ Amiens-Gilsy, France, they were operating the NF.XXX.

Late start but a start none the less! Had I known I'd have saved it for the current Night War GB.

This will be quite a job. Tamiya's fuselage is reportedly the most accurate (though the rudder needs shortening), but they made a bit of a muck up with the wings for some reason, especially with the length of the radiator housing. Lower cowls have a definite 'flat' look side on too, no subtle curve like the originals.
Other details requiring correction/ replacement are the cockpit components and undercarriage legs. 'Shake and bake' this kit is not.

Have ordered an Airfix Mosquito NF.II/FB.VI/Mk.XVIII, which has fuselage issues, but more accurate wings and engines. If feasible, I will just transplant these to the Tamiya fuselage and save myself alot of correction work. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, pics.

1,2: Tamiya sprue with parts unique to the NF Mk.XIII/ XVII.
3. Filling all the bloody sinkholes (why in such awkward and noticable places???)
4. Cockpit components off the sprues
5. Sanding off the oversized wheel guards in prep for scratchbuilt items.

Attachments

• STA56269.JPG
    STA56269.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 202
  • STA56270.JPG
    STA56270.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 187
  • STA56271.JPG
    STA56271.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 190
  • STA56272.JPG
    STA56272.JPG