1:72 P-51B wood/metal rebuilt (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for your comments and for showing interest mates. I appreciate it.
My Mustang model is now assembled. Still needs few details which I have to make (like propeller spinner for example), before I start painting. Usually I would make propeller out of cardboard paper or very thin alluminium (if I got any left which I'm not sure), but luckily I have one unused four blade propeller from old Mustang kit which came in very handy. Same goes for drop tanks.
Since I mentioned drop tanks, I'm not sure weather to paint them gray same as aircraft's lower surfaces or should they be painted as bare metal?

Attachments

• 7_01.jpg
    7_01.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 7_02.jpg
    7_02.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 7_03.jpg
    7_03.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 7_04.jpg
    7_04.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 7_05.jpg
    7_05.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 57
  • 7_06.jpg
    7_06.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 7_07.jpg
    7_07.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 7_08.jpg
    7_08.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Here is one more close up shot to show the wing shape in profile which I've tried to achieve. Unfortunately the photo isn't too sharp... :oops:

Attachments

• 7_04a.jpg
    7_04a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Nice work Igor. The drop tanks, if they were the 'tear drop' 75 gal metal tanks, were neutral grey, sometimes olive drab, for the early tanks. later on, the were bare metal. The longer, 'cigar shaped' tanks were neutral grey if the metal version, but more commonly, they were the 'paper' type, which were doped silver.

Thanks to everyone.
Here are few more progress pictures of freshly painted model with tape on certain parts still attached...

Attachments

• 8_01.jpg
    8_01.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 8_02.jpg
    8_02.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 8_03.jpg
    8_03.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 8_04.jpg
    8_04.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 8_05.jpg
    8_05.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 8_06.jpg
    8_06.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I've finished my P-51B model today late afternoon and took few shots so I could post them tonight. Will post more photos from more different angles tomorrow when sun will provide better lighting.
With this model I attempted pencil paneling for the first time and looking now at this two photos I can see that I may have over done it on the main wing. But it was good practice and hope will do better next time. This might have something to do with photo camera flashlight, though. On ordinary daylight this pencil lines haven't looked this much pronounced to me.

Attachments

• 9_01.jpg
    9_01.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 9_02.jpg
    9_02.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Looks great Igor, and the panel lines aren't too bad. How about adding some panel lines for the engine cowlings? They were quite prominent on the P51.

Thanks Terry. Actually I was considering that but wasn't sure how to pool it off on wooden fuselage. That would require to simply draw them on fuselage since no panel lines exist on wooden part of the model. (As you may have noticed I have penciled panel lines on metal parts only.) I'm willing to try that on engine cowling too, but I fear could mess up entire model if I made some mistake. :|

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back