Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the help. I think i may go that route. Having seen both types in red and brass, I guess I couldn't be too wrong either way.

You guys that do this kind of work in 1:72 blow me away. Very nice work, but what are you actually going to see when the model's complete? I did a 1:48 Yankee Lady a little over a year ago (posted here) and all of the interior work was completely invisible, with the only record of it being my pictures. I'd love to tackle the H-K models 1:32 B-17 to really have fun with an interior that could possible be seen. Again, your work is superb… love that bombsight.

Builder 2010
Thanks! I'm glad you like my work so far. I read through your build a while back, very nice work yourself.

I realize a lot of the interior details will be very difficult to see when all is buttoned up, but for me I enjoy detailing the crew areas most of all, no matter which aircraft I am working on. There is just something about replicating the actual "office" that draws me in, and the added challenge of doing the research to discover what went where, plumbing, controls etc. On this build I am trying to limit myself to only the areas that will have any chance of being seen through the bigger glazing, such as the nose, windscreen and radio operator roof window. When I look at others' models, I always find myself trying to peer in as far as I can to see if they made the extra effort to add details. Seeing it in there or at least the hint that it is there lends an air of reality to it being a functioning machine, tricking the eye to disbelieve that it is just a model. Also, as Crimea_River Andy said, it is also the challenge of testing my abilities and honing scratch building skills.

Thanks for the comments guys. Another update soon, getting the bomb bay sorted at the moment.

Chad

Update time! Been working on little bits and bobs to add to the interior.

I made the forward fire extinguisher from a capacitor (resistor?) That I have for detail parts I pulled off a circuit board years ago. I added milliput to one end to lengthen it. After this photo was taken I realized the bottom should be round and not flat, so I corrected it with more milliput.

Here is the forward bulkhead painted up. I have added the fire extinguisher, the hose and nozzle made from lead wire and stretched sprue respectively. I also added a rectangle of styrene and painted as a med kit. Electrical conduit was added on the left in the picture from lead and copper wire, and the tiny junction box from a scrap square of styrene, painted silver. The bulkhead is painted Euro 1 dark green, the canvas area painted the same as the cockpit, French tan with oil paint highlights. I still have to add another smaller fire extinguisher at the top left, oxygen hoses to the two regulators, and a couple more wires.
I made blanking panels for the interior where a large recess from the main wings would be visible. The larger cylinder is the hydraulic reservoir made from part of plastic q-tip cylinder, punched styrene disks for the bottom and cap on top, and the top is a piece of one of those random sprue gate pieces with a rounded top that are usually hanging off of smaller pieces on the parts tree. I save these since they can come in handy for scratch building as is the case here.

The smaller cylinder is the hydraulic accumulator made from styrene rod, punched styrene disks and a slice of stretched sprue for the cap on top. The yellow straps are tamiya tape.

Here are the hydraulic cylinders with a base coat of dark green.

This is the cockpit floor. Of note here is a rolled canvas cover made from milliput at the front of the floor entry way and grooves cut into the center console to accept control levers later. A smaller console on the port side floor has been added from styrene stock.

Cockpit floor partly painted. Dark green forward, same acrylic paint wood technique as the nose area aft. I may not add the anti slip areas over the wood simply for the sake of contrast in a rather dark cockpit area. Wear was added with a fine brush and chromate yellow followed by careful silver dry brushing. Still a few more details and painting to go in this area.

I started assembling and painting the bomb racks. All parts received a base coat of MM Acryl flat black followed by a coat of Tamiya flat silver. A heavy wash of raw umber oil paint was applied to all the pieces and excess wiped away when dry. This gave a very pleasing patina to the bare metal parts in my opinion. The placards in the center of the racks were painted light grey and a tiny strip of gloss red in the center of each one.

Here are some of the bulkheads painted up. They received the same treatment as the bomb racks. The one on the right still needs the excess cleaned up. A little more detail painting, a couple decals and other small details will be added soon to finish these up.

Finally, I have made various oxygen cylinders and pieces for later detailing from milliput.

That's all for now. I think I am getting close to finishing all the small details that I will add to the interior so hopefully things will start moving quicker pretty soon. Thanks for taking a look guys!

Chad

Last edited:
Excellent !
Don't know if you want to add it, maybe folded back, but there was a 'curtain' to 'close off' the nose compartment. On my 1/48th scale model, I made this from folded tissue from a decals sheet - but it can't be seen !!

Crimea_River
Ha! Thanks Andy. Tic-tacs may have been easier to use, no shaping needed. Granted sometime in the future I may have found the bomber crewed by those of the six legged variety.

Airframes
Thank you Terry! I may conveniently forget about the curtain. Will have to see how OCD I feel when I get the rest of the interior detailed out.

So, just a small update this time. I am pretty proud of it.

I am calling the rear cockpit bulkhead done. I applied kit supplied decals to the door, made a switch panel by the bottom right of the door, and added the hydraulic reservoir and accumulator to the left of the bulkhead. I also added the plumbing for the hydraulic components from lead wire as well as the hydraulic pump at the bottom left from styrene bits and one of the tiny milliput pieces seen in my previous update.

Here is a better view of the hydraulic pump assembly. It is a little hard to discern due to most of the components being black. I realize most of this may not be seen if not at all once the dorsal turret and oxygen tanks are in place. It is not entirely accurate as far as including every little piece here but I just wanted to busy up the area just in case some of the area can be seen through a window.

That's it for now. I have to add just a little plumbing to the bomb bay and the bombs to finish that up. Next is the radio room. I am sort of jumping around to different stations, getting them to a point of completion that only the most fragile details will need to be added just before closing everything up. In this kit though, all of the compartments have to be glued together as a single assembly before any of them can be added to the fuselage. For me, this is making progress seem like a snails pace, but once all the compartments are finished, I think 2/3 of the build will be complete, or at least it will seem like it. Thanks for having a look!

Chad

Thank you guys for the compliments, it means a lot. I take from your comments that I am doing what I intended, which is fooling the mind and eye into seeing something believable and realistic for the size. I hope to make more progress over the weekend and have more updates soon.

Chad

Alright guys, I'm stumped. I am painting up the bombs and I can't find info on the stripes. I have found what the different colors mean and that the stripes are supposed to be 1 inch in diameter, but I cannot find any info regarding why some bombs had only one band fore and aft while others have 2 or three fore and aft. Can someone please tell me what the different striping means?

Users who are viewing this thread